It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP Mutiny - SC, VA, LA and Others May Join

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+49 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Big news just out. Turns out the Romney gang has pushed a rule change that will allow the GOP nominee (Romney) to veto individual delegates from any state and replace with people of his choice -- this includes replacing delegates that were voting for him to potentially pave the way for him to replace them with donors.

When the TX delegation found out about this today, they went ballistic and are threatening a floor fight if this rule is not changed. The creator of this scheme is Ben Ginsberg, the genius tricky lawyer who positioned the GW Bush campaign and argued for them before the Supreme Court that gave the presidential election in 2000 to Bush.

TAMPA--On Monday morning, at a meeting of more than 100 Texan delegates and alternates at the Saddlebrook Resort 20 miles north of Tampa, one topic got the crowd more fired up than any other. Delegate Melinda Fredricks read aloud a letter condemning recent changes to the national Republican party's rules that would allow the GOP presidential candidate to veto and replace state delegates. "Our delegates are in shock that such an amendment even would be presented before the Rules Committee much less passed into rule," Fredricks said. "Please know from the Texas delegation standpoint that the only way a floor fight can be avoided is for this rule to be stricken." At that point, the entire Texas delegation stood up and applauded.

Read it. It is a big deal. I guess that Republicans don't like their votes taken away after all. Maybe they'll think differently about disenfranchising other voters.
GOP mutiny

I found another good article about this:

August 27, 2012
Top Romney Lawyer Under Attack for Proposed GOP Rules Change
TAMPA, Fla. – Patton Boggs partner Benjamin Ginsberg is facing a growing storm of criticism from Republican delegates who say he pushed through a rules change that would help Mitt Romney if the presumptive GOP nominee ousts President Barack Obama and seeks reelection. Ginsberg, who serves as the Romney campaign's top lawyer, led the effort to insert language into a rules committee report that would allow presidential candidates to select their own delegates in states they carry, stripping away a power that the state Republican parties hold, according to members of the rules panel.

But a group of delegates plan to present amendments that would eliminate Ginsberg's alterations before the report goes up for a final vote on Tuesday. Curly Haugland, a national committeeman from North Dakota who sits on the convention rules committee, said Ginsberg's revisions, which came on Friday, were a last-minute surprise. "I've never seen anything like this," said Haugland, who has served as a Republican National Committee member for 10 years.

Legal BLOG article

Updated: Here's a new bit just in from ABC. Read the whole article. Dissension is spreading to the other states:
ABC article

The new rule, however, gives presidential candidates veto power over their own delegates, representing a big boost in power for the candidates and a reduction for states. If Mitt Romney, for instance, didn’t like a delegate slated to cast a vote in his favor at the convention, Romney could throw him out and choose an alternate. “This is the biggest power grab in the history of the Republican Party because it shifts the power to select delegates from the state party to the candidate,” Republican National Committeeman Jim Bopp of Indiana said in an e-mail message to fellow committee members obtained by ABC News. ”And it would make the Republican Party a top-down, not bottom-up party.”...

...“I am shocked that this rule passed,” Republican National Committeewoman Kim Lehman of Iowa wrote in an internal e-mail message. “Every delegate that I have shared this with is upset and stunned that something so undemocratic could come from the Republican Party. This new rule needs to be stopped. Not only is this a power grab, this is a change of governance from ‘We the People’ to the Candidate.”

Romney...Democracy in action. Remember folks, he is best known as a born rich CEO. He does not like democracy. As a CEO, he likes it top down and that's what you'll get with him.

by the way, I did do a search and did not see this out yet....
edit on 27-8-2012 by pajoly because: fixed quote source

edit on 27-8-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
In the article, they call Ron Paul an insurgent candidate.

The labeling and subliminals in the media these days is incredible.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Just a precursor of,what is to come. Get use to it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I can understand why they are outraged, being told someone else gets to decide who their delegates are. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next few days.
edit on 27-8-2012 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
It will be intensly interesting to see how this one plays out, the GOP is grasping at straws with this one and if they manage to see it through, god help future voters, because our voting process is finished, as if it already wasn't.

edit on 27-8-2012 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
We aint NEVER gonna get used to it..!
Get ready for a floor fight alright......a knock down dragout one.
Its your choice...stand on your feet now..............or live on your knees forever...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Another reason, most likely, Romney is rushing through the nomination process. He'll be anointed before most GOP attendees are even aware of it.

Keep in mind, the GOP convention committee completely blocked the Maine delegation, which upset the Maine republican governor (LePage) to the point he now refuses to attend the convention.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Wait, so he gets to hand-pick his own delegates now? Democracy in action.

They're just screwing with us at this point. Not even trying to be subtle about it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
But remember, Republicans are "real Americans" with traditional values- traditional criminal values.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Big news just out. Turns out the Romney gang has pushed a rule change that will allow the GOP nominee (Romney) to veto individual delegates from any state and replace with people of his choice

I don't think that is the case...I don't think this has anything to do with Romney or this year...I'm not positive because I can't find more information about this story right now.

But I think they are discussing and approving the rules for 2016...not changing the rules for this year. The rules for this year were set in 2008, I don't think those can be changed.

Still looking into this...but I don't think this will have anything to do with Romney.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This country needs a good hard political uprising from the people inside their own parties. We are long past due, as far as I am concerned

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

What, yahoo news isn't good enough for you? I know a few Ron Paul delegates and supporters - and even some conservatives who don't support him are pissed at Romney / GOP tactics at trying to keep him out of the convention.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by pajoly

Big news just out. Turns out the Romney gang has pushed a rule change that will allow the GOP nominee (Romney) to veto individual delegates from any state and replace with people of his choice

I don't think that is the case...I don't think this has anything to do with Romney or this year...I'm not positive because I can't find more information about this story right now.

But I think they are discussing and approving the rules for 2016...not changing the rules for this year. The rules for this year were set in 2008, I don't think those can be changed.

Still looking into this...but I don't think this will have anything to do with Romney.

They said right in the first part that if he wins the general election he would get to choose his delegates in 2016. That would pretty much seal up the nomination for him next time.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Speaking of the Bush administration. Check out the congressman who'll take stage first tomorrow. Tim Griffin, ring any bells. This guy was implicated in a massive voter caging incident and subsequently retired his office after the BBC aired his laundry in 2007.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Excellent example to set. Democracy in action. If you don't like the rules just change them. This is just getting even more disgusting and blatant.

edit on 27-8-2012 by coyotepoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Don't mess with Texas!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Seems to me that Romney is showing that he is not much different than his nemesis, actually replicating the thugery tatics of TOP DOWN CONTROL - forget the rules - just write new ones. Stripping civil liberties already. I wonder how much play this will get in MSM and how it will be spun. I bet mr. squeaky seem clean smiles it off and places the the communistic move onto "someone" else; has nothing to do with him, its the GOP's call.

I am willing to bet this is just a glimmer of what is to come. I find it some what odd of all of the headliners that bailed due to Isaac. With the way the trajectory was going with Tropical Storm Isaac and it hit full blown on Haiti I knew it was going to be nothing on Tampa. It pretty much was HYPE on MSM about the "HURRICANE" that never was. (As of Today-this evening.)
edit on 27-8-2012 by mcsandy because: eta

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
Excellent example to set. Democracy in action. If you don't like the rules just change them. This is just getting even more disgusting and blatant.

edit on 27-8-2012 by coyotepoet because: (no reason given)

They should not be surprised. After all, the same leadership is doing its best to creatively find ways to suppress the votes for the Democrats in the States the Right controls. I hope this action will help them see the light, otherwise, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

That aside, it is a slimy move, but Ginsberg is famous for finding end runs. He works quietly, in the background and does not like the limelight. This is also a window into how the Romney administration will operate.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Not much US Ron Paul supporters can say after Paul was ripped off in the primarys then robbed of his delegates.
All the fools who support Mittens WILL get what they deserve, Mittens and his crones will highjack the GOP and Obama will get re-elected.

Mittens doesn't mind doing the work for his friends as long as he gets payed for it.
You losers don't get it !
Republicans WILL control the House and Senate and the White house in 2016.
With their money people and their friends.
edit on 27-8-2012 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Oh well, rejoice Obama and Romney fans, this is dead in the water:

Deal Will Likely Prevent Floor Fight at Republican National Convention

Republican National Committeeman James Bopp, who had led a movement to oppose a new delegate rule on the convention floor, confirms to ABC News that he has agreed to a deal on compromise language.

A new RNC rule would have allowed presidential candidates effectively to choose their own bound delegates. States typically determine delegate allotments through primaries, then meet later at state conventions to pick those individuals. Under the new rule, state parties would give up some power to choose, among themselves, who gets to attend future GOP conventions as voting delegates.

Bopp had led a movement to defeat this rule on the convention floor Tuesday.

Instead, Bopp has agreed to compromise language. The RNC Rules Committee will meet Tuesday to approve the replacement language, Bopp told ABC News.

“The leadership of the Republican National Committee and the Romney for President campaign has heard the concerns of the conservative grassroots voices in our party and has crafted an amendment to the Rules adopted on Friday to address these concerns,” Bopp wrote in an email to Republican National Committee members. “At the same time, the revised language closes a loophole in our party rules, which previously failed to include a penalty for delegates who break their promise to vote for a particular Presidential candidate as required by state law or state party rules.”

Bopp explained the impetus for the proposed change, in the first place, as fear that Ron Paul supporters bound to Mitt Romney would break party rules and instead vote for Paul. The rule sought to prevent that risk at future conventions, Bopp said.

The compromise language simply states that delegates must vote for the candidates to whom they are bound, Bopp said. If not, they’ll be kicked out of future conventions and votes will be cast on their behalf.

The deal likely will not, however, allay some concerns of Ron Paul supporters.

The same new rule effectively bans future implementations of Paul’s campaign strategy — of organizing and amassing delegates at state conventions — by requiring states to allocate delegates by statewide vote. Bopp’s deal does not change that.

While no countermeasure will likely come up on the convention floor, Paul supporters will likely still be unhappy with the new rules. In Tampa Paul has 320 delegates supporting him out of 2,286 total, according to Paul Campaign Manager Jesse Benton.

abcnews.go.com...

Back to the regularly scheduled bread and circus show....sorry to bring the bad news.

edit on 27-8-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join