It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Ultra-high definition TV

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Old news. The PS4 will be out soon to accommodate these.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

Uhm I believe its called Xbox 720..

Anyways... HD is awesome... I was playing video games in HD, then my HD cord broke (they do that sometimes)
And I had to use the video jack... omg that looked so bad... it felt like someone rubbed grease on my eyeballs, and I didn't notice this ever, when I was used to using video jacks.

What I am getting at is, we never know how much better things are until we look back.

You can make due with a B/W tv, and the person using that can anyone using something more is just a sheep of the media, buying products they don't need.

Then the man with no Tv can say that about the guy with the B/W tv.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

The name has not been released yet, it's still in prototype and it's also called durango. One was sold the other day for 10,000.

Here's a link to LG's 4k for the uk market.
Techradar
edit on 23-8-2012 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I have a 42 inch plasma tv. It doesn't have a HD tuner but has HD feedthrough. I can see it good, even from the dining room. Why does anyone need a tv better than that? Are people so programed that it interferes with their physical vision along with their perception?

Guy at work drives an 80s Chevy in, true we jump it 4 times a week to get him home but hey, still gets him there!!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Hate to say it, but you are one step behind my friend.

On all the documents it is called Xbox 720.
Comes with Kinect 2, a DVR, and lots of other goodies...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Its possibly going to be called Xbox infinty with microsoft 8, just turn the 8 sideways.
Its code name at the mo' is Durango. The documents are from 2010 and are a business plan for microsoft.

Linky to the name
edit on 23-8-2012 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Dude you really think that is the real deal haha

that is the ugliest machine ever.

Plus Microsoft never once confirmed its the real deal.

On the other hand those leaked doc's are real. They are used by marketing to show to the board what the plans are for the new system. It's right on the documents. Xbox720.

Well we will agree to disagree i suppose
edit on 23-8-2012 by KingAtlas because: g&S

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Resolution isn't halved for 3D, it's two half resolution images combined, with the net effect just shy of a full 1080p resolution.

As for the PS4, Sony aren't even sure if they are going to do one at all. There are rumours if they do, it might be a dumb terminal as they have just acquired a streaming business. That said, I think Sony and MS would do well to have upgradeable graphics modules in their consoles as the XBox and PS4 were both horribly dated by the time they hit the shelves.

PC like performance on new consoles? Hmm, maybe for all of 5 mins, but the PC market is leagues ahead in terms of technical ability and the only reason the PS3 could do 3D wasn't because of Sony, but down to the DX10 card made by NVidia. It is only a slightly modified 7800, which is some 7 or 8 generations behind current tech. The difference between what a PC can do and a console is staggering..

As for this new TV, HD and UHD have been around for donkeys. HD was first developed in the late 70's I believe, but at the time the screens were 30ft high! It won't be long before we see the cost and sizes come down, as with all things that came before. Exciting times indeed. Maybe finally we will get monitors for our PC's which are actually capable of displaying the resolutions our cards have been capable of for years

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Did you read it? Before any console is made they shove the components into a PC case. It's then shown to games manufacturers.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

EA have commented to seeing both PS4 and "Next 720 durango xbox" development kits.
I totally agree with your comments about PCs as I game on PC myself but the next consoles are based around DirectX 11 which is the standard at the moment but by the the time the consoles are released graphics cards will have moved on.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Therein lies the problem, as us PC gamers get stuck with console ports! The few games developed for PC over the console really show the difference!

But what we need as PC gamers is better resolution screens. Anything above 24" and you start to lose quality. We need screens like the Apple Retina displays, then I will be happy. Hopefully, this UHD might lead to that.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I think the big difference is that, console gaming is alot cheaper than PC gaming.
Putting together a state of the art PC, is not cheap.

And I always knwo for a fact when I buy a laptop, its gonna get outdated so fast its rediculous.
Laptop componets aren't cheap either.

Also you can never really keep up with the tech anyways, unless your a ceo for Nvidia.

I like being able to have a one time to no fuss console, then I have my laptop for other games. (Skyrim on PC!)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiseThinker
Well a juicy as this sounds, then it is useless for the average user.

The common TV user wont even be able to see the difference between 720 and 1080 on anything smaller than 32", its only above 32" that it starts to make a visible difference.

Our 42" 1080p already feels way too big for the room we have the TV in, if we go any bigger we are going to have to buy a bigger house just for the TV.

The average house in the UK is getting smaller and smaller and the average TV bigger. stop the madness before we all have to live in the box our TV came in

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Think of it this way, soon they will be able to make your walls outta this stuff. then you can just walk around your house and it will follow you, or you can make it look like your in Bikini Bottom.

Be able to buy wallpapers for your house online... haha

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Actually, it isn't that expensive. I have just built a new rig for £1100, top notch stuff as well. 2x SSD, 16GB RAM, i7...all the bells and whistles. I only do a main rig upgrade once every 4-5 years with the GPU upgraded every 2 at around £200. On top of that, I get my games for around 30% (or more if in the Steam Summer sale!!) less than a console game, owing to licensing fees.

Now, for a brand new console (just released), you're looking at £500 + and then £50 per game. Not only that, but you're then stuck with a system that simply cannot be upgraded to take advantage of the latest rendering techniques available.

If you buy many games then over time, you will end up spending a small fortune on console gaming, just as much as if you were a PC gamer. Plus the experience is just that much better on PC
!!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I'm going to see if I can find a video of the "house of future" I saw some months ago..

Literally everything was a screen you could interact with.. Soon TV's will be a museum piece.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
But, it has to be shot at 8k for anything to matter much, and i doubt the studio cameras are 8k resolution. And even film camera are just now shooting at 4-5k, so for 8k broadcast to become standard and for households to benefit, it will take a lot of money, both in cameras and large screen (and res) TVs. One can't increase display pixel dimensions without distortion unless the original resolution is enough....

Of course, this 8k technology would be amazing, and will likely be in film before TV, but it's still cool.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

Pretty much the way it goes.

We saw HD and 3D adoption in films before they started to appear in homes.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
whats next ultra HD 3D with smell tech. You can actully smell the gun powder and roting flash of the zombies.

edit on 23-8-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

How about a home theater like this? This could be the wave of the future...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join