It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photo Gallery: Curiosity Rover Makes First Tracks on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Photo Gallery: Curiosity Rover Makes First Tracks on Mars

www.wired.com

NASA’s Curiosity rover is finally doing what it was created to do: rove. Following a successful wheel test, the probe moved forward about 9 feet, turned 120 degrees, and backed up a few feet.

Curiosity beamed back some incredible images of its tracks, which tell scientists that the soil is firm, great for mobility, and won’t cause the rover to sink much.

Another link:www.bbc.co.uk...

“We should see smooth sailing ahead of us,” said engineer Matt Heverly, lead rover driver, during a NASA press conference on today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Plus many more at link.............

edit on 22-8-2012 by CaptainBeno because: pics

edit on 22-8-2012 by CaptainBeno because: another link added

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Fantastic news! "IT MOVES!"

I still find it amazing that they can control a rover form Earth hey?

So now the rock zap has been completed along with the steering test, it's time to get it's "Rover" on and go on it's merry way.

This is exciting times. I am really looking forward to what it see's. I especially interested to see what NASA attempts to block out! (He says with a complete straight looking face).

Here's to exciting times folks! It's on!

www.wired.com

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

edit on 22-8-2012 by CaptainBeno because: Comment removed

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I still wish it was more like AMEE from Red Planet with it's own flying recon drone.

Curiosity has a laser, sure, but AMEE could kick some booty. Ahh, maybe when real-tech catches up with fiction? Maybe?

Don't get me wrong, this is exciting and wonderful to see Curiosity finally on the move. I hope to see her rolling still a long time beyond the projected end of mission date just like the other little rover Opportunity.

edit on 22-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Excellent to see it on the move, hopefully there will be a lot of science from this giant rover, a monumental achievment for JPL/NASA. On a side note, I wish they had approved the lander mission to Titan instead of Mars one of the most Dynamic bodies in our solar system besides Encladeus and Io

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Imagine thousands of years from now when some other race other than Humans spy space and see those tracks. We left our mark...

...That is if they are not wiped away by a sand storm.

-SAP-

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I am just fascinated by these....It's amazing how similar the terrain is to Earth! Very similar to the desert.....just awesome. Thanks for sharing...S&F

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

I still wish it was more like AMEE from Red Planet with it's own flying recon drone.

Curiosity has a laser, sure, but AMEE could kick some booty. Ahh, maybe when real-tech catches up with fiction? Maybe?

Don't get me wrong, this is exciting and wonderful to see Curiosity finally on the move. I hope to see her rolling still a long time beyond the projected end of mission date just like the other little rover Opportunity.

edit on 22-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

I think you might pasted the wrong link there =)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
We are on the verge of making HUGE scientific breakthroughs with this rover. For once, money well spent!!!!! Good going NASA!!! OP, thanks for sharing those amazing pictures!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno

Fantastic news! "IT MOVES!"

I still find it amazing that they can control a rover form Earth hey?

So now the rock zap has been completed along with the steering test, it's time to get it's "Rover" on and go on it's merry way.

This is exciting times. I am really looking forward to what it see's. I especially interested to see what NASA attempts to block out! (He says with a complete straight looking face).

Here's to exciting times folks! It's on!

www.wired.com

Yep, a fascinating comparison: a guy operating a radio remote-controlled car in front of him, & someone in Curiosity Mission Control, watching video feedback all the way from Mars, doing the same thing with the Rover!
edit on 8/22/12 by BuzzCory because: grammar correction

top topics

join