It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you ever slept in a wal-mart parking lot?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I am loving the irony of my current situation. It is 5 am and I am sitting in a random wal-mart parking lot in my car. I had to move my car here after I was almost towed from the parking lot of the apartment that I recently staRted squatting in. I was evicted from my old rental when the owner decided to sell. No job, no place to go.

I was told by a friend of the apartments owner that I could stay in the unit if no one noticed but an hour ago someone did. I caught the guy hovering over my car after randomly looking out the window and went out to confront him. I have most of my life's possessions in the apartment but some are still in the car. He said that I was in his spot and he was going to have me towed. I apologized then said that I would move it immediately. That was when my heart was crushed.

I had approached from an odd angel so as not to give him any idea as to which apartment I had come from and we exchanged polite words. As I went to get in my car and move it he turned to me and asked. :"were you sleeping in the bushes?". My world was crushed. I might have well been.

I'm 39,,divorced. Father of two teens. Unemployed for 17 months. I have a BA in digital arts. Worked in Hollywood in2005 as a technical director on a well known animated film. Former marine with solid work ethic. Knowledge of construction and food service. No injuries that will stop me from being employed. But the last 8 days have taken that final turn for the wo
I've sold or had to abandon almost everything that I had. (What do you consider importent when you're packing your car to be evicted?) I have $32 in my pocket (that was given to me by a friend). My gas tank is full (with no were to go). I haven't had a job interview in 9 months(not for lack of trying). And to top it off...I'm writing this on my brand new HTC1x that I rolled my coverage plan over to to keep my grandfathered plan on (believe me...if you don't have a phone nowadays people tend to not want to call you back for an interview)

It's getting lighter out as I write this. I am writing it because soon I will lose service and the internet will no longer be "readily" available to me. And I think maybe because I have hit the end of my usefulness here.

I have no drug addictions. Stopped drinking on a regular basis due to finances. Have never felt depression before.

And now here I sit ...homeless in the parking lot of a wal-mart. Writing this on my smart phone from in my car. Going to have neither soon. I always thought of myself as a giving person. Able to take care of myself. Able to pay my dues I am having serious thoughts about checking out. I won't,of course, because of the kids. I just wonder, if I get a job...can I use the wal-mart parking lot as a home address?

If you think it can't all disappear very quickly than I admire your optimism. Or rather,your lack of imagination. Give it amoment and consider this...have you ever had to sleep in a wal-Mart parking lot?

If so...what did (would) you do next?

Frown

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Friend, I have been where you are, though not for some years. I was in Darlington S.C. My car, a 1955 Buick, was out of gas in an abandoned lot, and I had not a cent to my name. I found a McDonalds dumpster, the kid there was throwing away food, and asked him for something to eat, to which he gave me several sandwiches. The next day I walked all over looking for work. Finally I came onto a construction site and took a job chipping mortar off of old bricks, for a penny per brick. Others would try to steal your bricks when you went to pee, so a close eye was necessary. I also had to keep checking on my car every day, which, curiously, no one touched for over two weeks.

I was finally given a better paying job roofing. I had some experience, and roofed for a while until I could get enough to get back home.

What I am trying to say here is never give up Hope. And never stop trying. Try restaurant dish washing jobs, usually the turnover is pretty fast.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
It may sound a bit harsh but there are jobs readily available everywhere. Mcdonalds, or any fast food joint. Hell, you could even wait outside of Home Depot mornings for day labor work. Stay in your car til your first paycheck and then check into the Y or a rescue mission. Churches offer free meals. You just need to find out the schedule of neighborhood church meal days. After a few weeks in the Y and a few paychecks you could rent a room somewhere a bit cheaper than an apartment. Just some suggestions. Above all, never, never, never, give up.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I'm really sorry you are in that situation... Unfortunately it happens way too much. Are you in Washington State? If so, Tri-Cities is booming and jobs are everywhere.....

I wish you the best of luck!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

I really feel for you after reading your current predicament.

Do you have anyone you can turn to? To give you some shelter of sorts and access to the net to look for jobs etc? I am sure you probably have already thought about this, I just got a hint of an impression from your post in places that you are trying to save your own dignity but in desperate times, dignity is less important than survival I believe.

If it was me in your situation, I would be going door to door around local businesses looking for any work possible, even if it was just for one day, if I could not get work I would swallow my pride and take to the streets asking for money (I do not say that lightly either and know that it is humiliating).
I would draw my life plans right back to basics and plan daily survival, weekly and build on that until I got the goal of getting shelter etc.

I have not been in your situation before, I have been a few days away from losing my home in the past, had to start fishing for my daily food, using small gas canisters I had stored for camping as my home heating etc and doing daily jobs for money etc. I found that during that period, focusing on daily living instead of the long term future really helps mindset if that makes sense.

I sincerely hope you find a light at the end of a really dark tunnel your in just now.
edit on 22-8-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Thanks. I just teared up in a coffee shop reading this. I feel silly. Had to charge the phone so I am sitting here drinking coffee and waiting for a little lift. Dish washer is a good idea. Perhaps I have been shooting too high.

I won't go into details but where I live,and under current circumstances financially, it will require north of$12 per hour to be viable. State has me by the balls over the divorce. I did some shady stuff for money when I was young.

I just can't believe it may come back to that now. I have fought it this whole time but...what ya gonna do?

Thanks for being positive. It helped a little
Cheers.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I was lucky and had bought a work/painting van right before my life fell apart. sold everything that was not useful at the time, got a P.O box and a membership to the gym and lived that way for over 3 1/2 years. Loved it... would do it again, I just need another van.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

Your right, of course

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
You might also consider walking into the Wal-Mart and applying for a job. It may not utilize your education, but they're always hiring, especially night-stock.

I hope your situation improves.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

Tri-cities. I've got the gas. Good suggestion. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

You don't need a job. Just get a tight pair of jeans and start chatting up some middle age women.

They'll find handyman work for you.

No kidding.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

There are literally hundreds of new developments, businesses, and apartments going up right now, so if you can get here you most likely could start working tomorrow, get back on your feet, and then get a job you really enjoy
Hope this helps you!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

A whole heap of self putty lately. Your right of course. I have a lot of pride. Just salted a ton of it wrong my tears away in this coffee shop while people with jobs order coffee and had of to work. If the employees ask I've decided to tell them that I just got some bad news from home.

Thanks to all of you. Is a real dark moment. I'll make it through.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofonehunlo

Thanks for the chuckle. I actually did that last summer. Built this well to do suburbanites's son a 12k tree house. I joked about how I could live in it. It was nice. She hired me for many reasons. At the time I was kind of insulted about the insinuations from others about her motive. Now I would gladly take a job as the pool boy.

Thanks again. Really, it turned my mood.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Yesterday I had lunch with my teens. Told them nothing about my current situation. The 16 yo stats college next month.

It will be hard to confess to them why I'm 4 hours away.

Maybe I need to now. They deserve a clear mind for school.

Damn. They don't need this.

I keep hearing this in my head

"Suck it up!"

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

Bah, 4 hours is nothing... once you get back on your feet you can see them on a regular basis! I had to take my kids away from their dad just so I could find work, we met halfway twice a month, worked well for all of us

Wouldn't it be better to see your kids when you have a place to take them to, even for a weekend? Kids are resilient, they understand way more than you think.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I worked in cali floor two years. Hard to see them only once a month. But your right. They'll do fine without me. I am thinking about how well I'll do without them.

Yes. It will be better for all. Thanks for the " bah".

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I'm so sorry to hear about your plight

Don't know what to say that hasn't been already said.

Please keep your chin up, and keep on keepin on...things can change.

There are many in your position, so please don't be too hard on yourself.

I honestly wish I had the cash to help you out for a bit, but unfortunately, I can't.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, we are living in a very difficult times.

I don't know if you'll be interested in the idea that i'm about to share, but it is an option to consider...

You can try to find a place to volunteer for a while, in exchange for 4 walls & food in return. Organic farms always need some help around, and are willing to host people for it. This is only a temporary solution of course, but it can give you a few months to chill out somewhere and think about what you're going to do next.

Just an idea, it is better than staying outside. I hope you'll find yourself in a better situation soon my friend. Stay strong.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Thanks

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join