It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone's leaves turning early?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I think our strange weather hasn't stopped.

Lightening bugs just vanished one day in July .Usually I see stragglers through September.

Starting last week, trees are either just dropping leaves, or there are little dashes of red starting to show up, a month early.

I hoped an early, warm spring meant a nice long summer, but apparently it means an early fall as well.

I was wondering if anyone else has strange warning signs.

Not only weather, but the drought seems to be hard on the trees as well.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
What kind of trees are you seeing it on? Our chesnuts around here have a disease (rust? i don't know the name of it) that causes the leaves to turn brown and die off early every year.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
With the drought that hit a lot of North America, i have noticed a lot of trees in South and Northern Ontario Canada have been changing and falling much earlier then normal. Some are dying as well.

The Pine trees seem to be fairing much better then their leafy cousins.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Have been seeing this for at least 2 weeks now. As has our temps dropped really low, we had a low of 50 degrees last night and for the past several nights, daytime in the low 70's. I fear we might see snow by mid September. After having a really hot summer in July broke several highs here it just dropped off suddenly. Something seems off?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
We were just talking about this Sunday night. The tops of all the maple trees on our road are turning red already.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'd have no idea since it's still winter In Oz. But boy the tree was striped without leaves within a week.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yup...Here at 6600' in Colorado, leaves started turning yellow about TWO WEEKS ago!!!

We have had record high temps this summer and little rain...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I don't know about the leaves but it's August and my lab just lost her winter coat, and my other dog lost it mid July, very late in the year.

Very strange.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The leaves haven't turned yet but the geese are flying.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
We had that happen in England last year after a very dry spring and summer. This year's a little different! If anything, it'll probably be a late autumn/fall here this year.

Wouldn't be surprised to see an early, hard, winter though after so much ice loss in the Arctic.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
With the drought that hit a lot of North America, i have noticed a lot of trees in South and Northern Ontario Canada have been changing and falling much earlier then normal. Some are dying as well.

The Pine trees seem to be fairing much better then their leafy cousins.

For the 3rd year in a row we had a late start to summer with an abnormally wet June. This year it was so wet in June that it nearly ruined the cherry crop.

It's been 35* for pretty much a month straight now though so no leaves falling here, unless they're falling due to withering up!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Was just up at the cottage and the weather was holding around 25C, weather forcast calling for weather feeling like 45C, or 113F from my American brothers and sisters, this weekend

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I was driving in North West Arkansas and saw a flock of geese flying north in formation...on August 16th! Isnt that abut 8 weeks early?
edit on 8/21/2012 by Missing Blue Sky because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/21/2012 by Missing Blue Sky because: spelling

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
There are some trees here turning way ahead of schedule, then again our spring came way ahead of schedule. A tree can only process so much in a year and this is dependent on it's species and it's soil conditions. So up here it's probably normal that the trees are starting to turn already. They will have had just about the same amount of time as they did in other years. It may look strange having bare trees in September though and I hope this doesn't mean an early winter......You are not alone on your concern, I don't want an early winter.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Actually, strangely enough, I've heard the maples are turning early in my area.

A Native American (there's a lot of them around here) observed that the trees were very bright fall colors, for some reason. I though it was a bit weird, but the presence of humans and the various accompanying pollutants can cause some freaky stuff.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

actualy where i live i normaly notice the tress having a small amount of leaves starting to turn by now, but they all look green

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Some deer here are getting their winter coat early too. I hope that isn't a sign of early winter. We've heard geese around here also, they aren't the ones that are here during the summer. I think they are coming back from Canada already.....brrrr
edit on 21-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I've see the news of multiple wild fires and droughts...I am sorry. Here in Southern NM, it's been particularly tropical.

We did have a rather nasty fire earlier this summer. One in the north too. But yesterday, for example it was 80% humidity--this is the Chiuauan Desert, folks!!

We have lush growth on everything. Bugs and birds are reaping great snacks. this summers harvests look wonderful.

I anticipate a sudden change late fall, from summer to winter over a week or so.

Ya, all manner of things are in flux this summer.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

This year the rains have more than made up for the drought we experienced in my neck of the woods last year, but the effects are still being felt. I've had two trees die this year, and a third in the dying process. The pecans falling out of my pecan trees look right on the outside, but they are black and rotten on the inside.

The lightning bugs "bugged out" way before they should have, and the junebugs came almost two months early and were discolored- they were an ugly grayish color when they should be a beautiful amber color. Also we've had less birds this year- many less.

Something else going on is pretty much everybody I know has been inundated with raspberry ants. Not only are they coming into our houses in droves but they are even infesting people's automobiles! My neighbor's truck wouldn't start for work one day last week so I went to give him a jumpstart. Problem turned out to be his fuse box under the dash was full of ants. Two days ago my daughter who lives across town went to get in her car and the whole front seat was covered in ants.

All I keep thinking is maybe the plants and critters know something we don't. With all our technology we're not as smart as Mother Nature!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Thank you to everyone who responded. I think it is the maples.

But the sycamores, not a pretty fall tree to begin with, are just dropping leaves. They are not even bothering.

I thought I saw geese getting ready to migrate but I thought: NAH, way to early. they are just looking for water. But now you have me wondering.

I hope this doesnt mean a nasty winter, I haven't decided yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join