It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested at Best Buy for paying in $2 bills

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter
I hope he sues Best Buy and ends up owning the company. And then he does a $2 TV Tuesday promo, which gets you a significantly reduced priced TV if payed with $2 bills.
edit on 21-8-2012 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

You are aware that this happened six years ago, correct?
I'm still not 100% sure that it happened at all TBH

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

It is a little scary the difference between my age group and just a few years younger. I am 26, a few years ago i bought an mp3 player off of a guy that was 4 or 5 years younger than me and there was one of the old ten dollar bills in the mix and he questioned me as to whether it was counterfeit or not. He even showed his dad before he took it (his dad of course was like.. yeah it's real *headshake*).

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

What idiot cashier, Idiot manager or idiot cop has never seen or heard of a 2 dollar bill. The clerk and managers responsible should be fired for not knowing general basic information.

You just arn't getting it.

It's not the $2 bill part.
It;s the counterfit part. That's why he was hauled in.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I find it amazing that this was posted HERE back in 2005, and only had 2 pages of comments....however this one is up to 7 pages?

Interesting...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArrowsNV
Am I the only one who noticed that that article is from 2005?

Just wondering...

I didn't notice it, but I didn't know about it before and it still doesn't change that I think it's stupid. It could have happened in the 90s and a thread about it today will have no different outcome than if it happened yesterday, except for informing different people about it.

OP with the awesome avatar just provided an old story for us that probably needed to be heard anyways, no personal opinion, no bias or anything. Personally, I like that a lot better than reading through pages and pages of people arguing back and forth or listening to someones opinion stated as if it was fact, citing a news article as "proof".
edit on 21-8-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

There was no counterfeiting though. So why did they haul him in? They weren't counterfeit so obviously they didn't prove the bills were counterfeit.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by samkent

There was no counterfeiting though. So why did they haul him in? They weren't counterfeit so obviously they didn't prove the bills were counterfeit.

Apparently:

According to the Sun report, the police arrest report noted one employee noticed some smearing of ink on the bills. That’s when the cops were called. One officer reportedly noticed the bills ran in sequential order.

There was some ink smeared (normal according to the secret service) and they were in sequential order. You would figure someone counterfeiting money, especially something as unique and $2 bills, would avoid these things. I guess they didn't believe his explanation (assuming he tried to explain) that he got them from the bank, which obviously doesn't really pay out $2 bills unless you ask for them.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I can see a young store clerk being unfamiliar with those bills, but none of the managers on duty or the police knew the bills were legit? I have a collection of $2 bills I've kept since I was a kid. Maybe we should go to the bank and get a supply of these to use at best buy during black friday.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I can understand questioning even twenty dollar bills to see if their real, which no one really does anymore.

but to check a two dollar bill to see if its real, is ridiculous.

Mike

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Well the source said the guy worked at a place that explained why he would have so many. In the end they were not counterfeit correct? Also when the bills are printed in sheets are they in sequential order? Seems like sequential order, at least to me, would indicate they were real rather than counterfeit.

What about a bank? According to the OP:

As the owner of Capital City Student Tours, the Baltimore resident has a hearty supply of the uncommon currency. He often gives the bills to students who take his tours for meal money. “The kids don’t see that many $2 bills, so they think this is the greatest thing in the world,” Bolesta says. “They don’t want to spend ‘em. They want to save ‘em. I’ve been doing this since I started the company. So I’m thinking, ‘I’ll stage my little comic protest. I’ll pay the $114 with $2 bills.’”

To me the sequential order would indicate he got them straight from the press and maybe in sheets he cut on his own? I don't know.. or maybe they weren't actually even in sequential order?
edit on 21-8-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Wow. Sad times when today's work force can't recognize a $2 bill!

I have been given a hard time a few times using $2 bills where I live. We had a customer at my previous job who always tipped with $2 bills. He always had a stack of crisp ones. We all liked it, it was that old wives tale that they are good luck. I still have quite a few stashed in places I believe are "lucky." I guess they aren't as popular as they once were.

It is bad when it resorts to a man getting arrested because people today are too dumbed down to know any better. How stupid can that many people be?! I find it hard to believe that many people don't know about a $2 bill and that it is still legal tender!

Its almost as hard to believe as a bunch of people reading a title on a forum and not reading the article or dozens of posts after it that make it clear that the clerk and police knew $2 bills were legal tender and instead because the stack of bills had smeared ink and was in sequential made them suspect they may be counterfit. I find it hard to believe that so many people start ranting about how stupid others are when they clearly have no idea what they are even posting about.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'm surprised this thread is still up. On the first page I pointed out that it is a story and article from 2005, AND a thread was created and discussed then. Anytime other threads are duplicated, some mod comes and closes the dup with a redirect link to the original. 7 Pages later and we are still talking about a 7 year old story/article? Someone is slacking.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
he should sue their asses for mental pain

I bet that $114 bill goes away

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yea you would think, the article said they arrested him anyways though on what I'm assuming is some matter of procedure. That's kind of dumb, should be illegal and why I said earlier in bold: don't let the rules overrule common sense

Any other time kidnapping and detaining someone for no reason is a felony, but I guess it's somehow different when it's done by the authorities. Personally, I think the guy should have got some compensation from this, by best buy and the police, but stuff like this just tends to get swept under the rug and ignored.

Originally posted by MrSpad
Its almost as hard to believe as a bunch of people reading a title on a forum and not reading the article or dozens of posts after it that make it clear that the clerk and police knew $2 bills were legal tender and instead because the stack of bills had smeared ink and was in sequential made them suspect they may be counterfit. I find it hard to believe that so many people start ranting about how stupid others are when they clearly have no idea what they are even posting about.

I don't read through threads that often anymore because I hate sorting through all the pointless, insulting posts like yours. Maybe if people with your inclination stopped filling threads with crap the rest of us wouldn't have such a hard time finding the information you complain about people not knowing.

Originally posted by Wolf321
I'm surprised this thread is still up. On the first page I pointed out that it is a story and article from 2005, AND a thread was created and discussed then. Anytime other threads are duplicated, some mod comes and closes the dup with a redirect link to the original. 7 Pages later and we are still talking about a 7 year old story/article? Someone is slacking.

Oh yea that's it. Let's close the thread because of that, even though some people just heard about it and are still discussing it instead of going on and on about how old the story is. While we're at it, why don't we acknowledge every little whim of every self-proclaimed assistant moderator on this website. Then we can complain some more and pretend we're better than other members, instead of you know... actually discussing the topic.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
I am actually surprised that they knew what currency even was...WorstBuy hires incompetent morons, why?
Because that is what the schools are pumping out these days!

See the movie Idiocracy…it explains a lot!

Yes, I mentioned the movie Idiocracy in an earlier post, too. Glad to see you watched the movie!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yea you would think, the article said they arrested him anyways though on what I'm assuming is some matter of procedure. That's kind of dumb, should be illegal and why I said earlier in bold: don't let the rules overrule common sense

Any other time kidnapping and detaining someone for no reason is a felony, but I guess it's somehow different when it's done by the authorities. Personally, I think the guy should have got some compensation from this, by best buy and the police, but stuff like this just tends to get swept under the rug and ignored.

I don't read through threads that often anymore because I hate sorting through all the pointless, insulting posts like yours. Maybe if people with your inclination stopped filling threads with crap the rest of us wouldn't have such a hard time finding the information you complain about people not knowing.

Originally posted by Wolf321

Oh yea that's it. Let's close the thread because of that, even though some people just heard about it and are still discussing it instead of going on and on about how old the story is. While we're at it, why don't we acknowledge every little whim of every self-proclaimed assistant moderator on this website. Then we can complain some more and pretend we're better than other members, instead of you know... actually discussing the topic.

Well you could have just read the article. That was linked in the OP. But, no you and so many others start ranting about how stupid other people are. And when it turns out none of you had any idea what you were talking about you complain the info was hard to find. Even though the link is in the OP. If people can not take a few seconds to read about what they are ranting about, do not blame the rest of us when you come off looking confused.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Wow. Sad times when today's work force can't recognize a $2 bill!

I have been given a hard time a few times using $2 bills where I live. We had a customer at my previous job who always tipped with $2 bills. He always had a stack of crisp ones. We all liked it, it was that old wives tale that they are good luck. I still have quite a few stashed in places I believe are "lucky." I guess they aren't as popular as they once were.

It is bad when it resorts to a man getting arrested because people today are too dumbed down to know any better. How stupid can that many people be?! I find it hard to believe that many people don't know about a $2 bill and that it is still legal tender!

There are ways to check for counterfeiting without calling the police. One of the easiest is to check for small red or blue threads running through the bill. All bills have that. Besides, bills do smear. Those were things I learned in training when I was a retail manager. If you are not sure then have the manager on duty call the bank to verify the man's account and whether he took out $2 bills. We have done that before where I worked. If you are still not sure then ask the customer to pay another way, like a check or credit card. The police being alerted was unneccessary.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I think he should sue Best Buy and the Police as well. That ought to give them lots of Bad Press and emphisize how stupid they are.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Best Buy has you arrested if you attempt to pay for your purchase with 2 dollar bills??

Gadzooks!

If I were this guy, I'd stick it to Best Buy by walking over to the nearby CompUsa or Circuit City!

I tell you, this country is falling apart. Time to move to Mars, I hear Opportunity just found proof there was water there!

:\

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Best Buy employees are about as dumb as a box of rocks... Don't know squat about the inventory and at least here locally are staffed by highschool dropouts, which I know for a fact the majority here are from dropouts cause my son knows them all.

I won't buy there at all unless I need a specific cable in a hurry, I order everything on Newegg.com

the cashiers are best buy are insanely mathmatically uneducated... but that's a problem with our school system, parents these days and the Idiocrasy that the United States has turned to thanks to political correctness slowly dumbing down everyone to think alike, have same morals and ethics and all become homogenized victims of a socialized education system.

it's really sad that the majority of the cashiers can't make change in their head. I was embarrassed at a gas station recently the power had went out and the cashier panicked cause she couldn't make change, (note the drawer was open) the price was $3.52 and I handed her a $5 dollar bill and she just stood there in panic.

She said we'd have to wait for power to come back so the register could "do the math" even though the drawer was open I couldn't help laughing and asking if she graduated, she claimed she did graduate "with honors" and I asked " you cant do simple math in your head? it's only small subtraction and she just froze and grabbed phone to call her manager.

I was so ashamed to be an American, if I had the money to afford to move I'd definitely try and find a better country and get the hell out while it's still possible.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join