It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado U. to segregate dorms for students with gun permits

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

The University of Colorado will segregate dorms for students who have valid permits to carry concealed weapons, The Denver Post reports.

The newspaper says student housing contracts at CU-Boulder and CU-Colorado Springs will be amended for students over the age of 21 with concealed-carry permits.

In Boulder, students who want to carry their gun must live in the family-housing units downtown, while those in Colorado Springs will have to live in upperclass dorms.

In all other dorms, guns will be banned, the newspaper says, quoting university officials.

content.usatoday.com...

I think that this is interesting, so I thought I would share. I hope these concealed carry permit holders are responsible enough to not commit any crimes. I hope that there is a difference in crime between the two housing units. If there was less crime at the "concealed carry housing units" it would go to show that when people know there are guns around they are less likely to commit crimes. I just hope it doesn't go the other way, or in some way will be made to seem that it is a bad thing and there is more crime.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
That just seems totally irrational. Let's put all the people with legal guns in one building so that the other dorms are pretty much open range for any idiot who wants his 15 minutes of shooting spree fame.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Is this not discrimination and segregation based solely on the distinction between people excercising their right to bear arms and those that don't?

I am not an American but is this constitutional?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

We don't call it "The People's Republic of Boulder" for nothing

At least the schools have informed criminals which dorm rooms to rob and which ones to stay away from...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

HAHAHAHA!

This is great! What a social experiment! I wonder if someone really thinks this is a good idea, or if there is some Sociology Professor doing a research project on the subject?

I'm pretty sure I know which dorms will NOT be getting robbed though.

On a more serious note, we did have a girl accidentally killed here at FSU a couple of years ago, in a frat house, by an idiot with a gun, but he didn't have a CCW permit, he just went out and bought an assault rifle, and was showing it off to the girl during a party, alcohol involved, and she ended up getting shot and killed. Idiot, with money, but no experience, no training, and alcohol involved. Something like that could easily happen still in Colorado, because that kid would have been in the "no guns" dorm.

That was an extremely sad story, but if the Colorado thing is some kind of experiment, it would be interesting and ironic if any gun accidents occured in the "no guns" dorm, where the people have no formal training or licensing, and the dorm with guns remain completely safe. Maybe that would prove that everyone would be safer, if everyone had training with firearms?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Criminals looooove gun free zones. I know one area of dorms that'll be ripe for the pickin'.

Wow, idiots in charge of a whole university. Sweet, succulent irony.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I think it's a good idea. I personally wouldn't want to be in a dorm with a bunch of drunk college kids with guns.

The chances of getting shot from rage or accidentally is a lot higher than being shot from a mass murderer or random shooting.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is indeed very interesting.. I too am curious to see the crime rates between the two dorms..

Both sides tend to bloat the claims... I'm not a gun owner but have no problem with those that are...

While I would love a world free of guns, trying to ban them is outright absurd because criminals don't care about gun control laws to begin with...they will have them regardless...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Where are the news stories and headlines of 21 year olds, with CCW permits, and legally owned guns flying into a rage or accidentally killing people? I can't remember ever hearing of such a thing?

Sure, drunk college kids with guns are dangerous, but not the ones that took the extra time and training to get legal concealed permits. The ones you should be worried about are the ones that just picked up a gun for the first time today, or the ones that have illegal guns!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I wonder if any folks could choose to live "gun free" in the CCW dorms? It would be their choice. I would probably choose to stay in that dorm instead of the other one if I chose not CCW myself. I bet I can tell you which dorm won't be targeted by the next school shooter...

I also wonder if this isn't some kind of side experiment as well. Not a real "on the books" type of thing, but a "let's just see what happens" type of thing. If that makes sense.

ETA - Sorry getreadyalready... I should have read your posts before I rushed to post.
edit on 8/17/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
I think it's a good idea. I personally wouldn't want to be in a dorm with a bunch of drunk college kids with guns.

The chances of getting shot from rage or accidentally is a lot higher than being shot from a mass murderer or random shooting.

Well the others do have a point.... you have a dorm full of gun owners, if one goes nuts you're more likely to see the others take him / her down... if you're in the unarmed dorm, one of those nutters might come over and just go on a rampage... knowing full well that nobody there is packing a gun to defend themselves.. =)

It's a very interesting topic...

link   
reply to post by The Old American

Criminals love gun zones too, just look at all the firearm crimes in the ghetto

edit on 17-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

How would you know if you were in a dorm w/ a bunch of drunk college kids who..............had guns or not?

Just because one doesnt have a legal permit doesnt mean they are not packing.

This new rule is flat out D U M B.
edit on August 17th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by miniatus

And the chances of getting shot accidentally is 100 times more likely than a psycho on a shooting rampage. I'll take my chances, gamble and more than likely win.

link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I wonder if any folks could choose to live "gun free" in the CCW dorms? It would be their choice. I would probably choose to stay in that dorm instead of the other one if I chose not CCW myself. I bet I can tell you which dorm won't be targeted by the next school shooter...

I also wonder if this isn't some kind of side experiment as well. Not a real "on the books" type of thing, but a "let's just see what happens" type of thing. If that makes sense.

Probably not an experiment.. it's probably just a campus decision to allow students to choose.. some might not even attempt to enroll if they think they are living with the next Colorado shooter with a room full of guns... they are looking to keep enrollment up.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Because 96% of the time you can tell by what the person looks like if they are carrying a gun illegally or not.

Preppy looking frat boys or stoner suburbanites are unlikely to carry, a thugged out looking dude is a different story maybeeeeeeeee a hillbilly as well.

edit on 17-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

And the chances of getting shot accidentally is 100 times more likely than a psycho on a shooting rampage. I'll take my chances, gamble and more than likely win.

That assumes the dorm full of gun owners randomly fire off their guns every night ... kind of silly to suggest I think..

If someone were to snap ... they wouldn't last long in the dorm full of gun owners, but if someone snapped and walked to the un-armed dorm.. they could go quite a while firing at people before stopped...

So you go right ahead... I'll stick with the gun owners.. I'd get a permit to carry even if I didn't plan on carrying, just so I could be there =)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
What is more D U M B is that the shooting didnt even happen on campus AND the shooter didnt even live on campus.

I mean if students support this false sense of security, more power to them. But I still think its D UM B.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Statistically more people die a year by accidental shootings than random shooting massacres

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

reply to post by greeneyedleo

Because 96% of the time you can tell by what the person looks like if they are carrying a gun illegally or not.
Preppy looking frat boys or stoner suburbanites are unlikely to do so, a thugged out looking dude is a different story maybeeeeeeeee a hillbilly as well.

That's just absolutely false.... I work in a building of executives in suits... 2 of them carry.. I would never have thought it .. My brother carries, I don't ... we're practically twins... 96% of the time? admit... you invented that number

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join