It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange: UK issues 'threat' to arrest Wikileaks founder

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Julian Assange: UK issues 'threat' to arrest Wikileaks founder

www.bbc.co.uk

The UK has issued a "threat" to enter the Ecuadorian embassy in London to arrest Julian Assange, Ecuador's foreign minister has said.

"If the measure announced in the British official communication is enacted, it will be interpreted by Ecuador as an unacceptable, unfriendly and hostile act and as an attempt against our sovereignty. It would force us to respond," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I must say I am shocked (but not surprised) at the governments actions in this matter. All diplomatic immunities go out of the window because we can't get our own way?

The best thing they could have done is wait for Assange to leave the embassy to make his way to Ecuador, it's not like he can remain in the embassy forever right?

It shocks me that our government can break ties so easily over one man, I know they have a responsibility to extradite him, but what about the responsibility to other countries rights whilst on our land (although technically Ecuador soil).

The law which Britain is threatening to invoke in the Assange case is the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Disappointed with the government once again, we need rid of them, Tories never did this country any good.

EDIT: LIVESTREAM FROM OUTSIDE THE EMBASSY HERE (as of 00:57BST): bambuser.com...
edit on 15/8/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It's interesting that the U.K. would be willing to sever diplomatic ties to a nation over a man charged with a condom breaking.

We all now obviously know that these charges were trumped up and faked by TPB to limit Assanges liberty and mobility.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Goldcurrent

To be honest, I believe he is guilty, not of rape, but not using a condom without the girls consent, which I think is the most ludicrous law ever.

If the girl consented to having sex with him, then she should have made sure he was wearing a French Tickler.

I also believe that the reason it is being pushed so much is so America can get their hands on him, and for that reason alone he should have been granted asylum. If he ends up in the States, he isn't going to get a fair trial.

But for the UK to threaten to storm a foreign embassy over the issue, it just beggars belief.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
They will do it, and Ecuador will cry foul, but do nothing. They do not want both the Brits as well as the United States, carpet bombing them into oblivion.

Not saying its right or wrong, but Ecuador will do nothing but cry!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
As I understand it, even if Assange is granted asylum, which he has not been.. The UK is within their full legal right to enter and place him under arrest.. they could have done it from day one but didn't ... I read about this the day he entered, I wish I could find it .. I believe it is specific to the UK

And even if being in the embassy offers him some kind of protection, which it doesn't, he can never leave the country because the moment he sat foot out of there to try to catch a plane.. he would be arrested immediately.

The letter said: "You need to be aware that there is a legal base in the UK, the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987, that would allow us to take actions in order to arrest Mr Assange in the current premises of the Embassy."

It allows the UK to revoke the diplomatic immunity of an embassy on UK soil, which would potentially allow police to enter the building to arrest Mr Assange.

Here's the law that allows it .. www.legislation.gov.uk...
edit on 8/15/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

On LBC they reporting that four police vans are outside the embessy
so looks like the police might be going in to get him.

Date: August 16 2012

Alan Jones The British government has told Ecuador it is "determined" to extradite WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who is seeking political asylum, and believes it can forcibly enter the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

A number of police officers gathered outside the Ecuadorian embassy, close to the Harrods store in Knightsbridge, on Wednesday night.

The dramatic development comes two months after Assange, an Australian, suddenly walked into the embassy in June in a bid to avoid being extradited to Sweden where he faces allegations of sexual assault.

Ecuador's minister for foreign affairs, Ricardo Patino, on Wednesday released details of a letter he said was delivered through a British embassy official in the capital of the South American country, Quito.

The letter said: "You need to be aware that there is a legal base in the UK, the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987, that would allow us to take actions in order to arrest Mr Assange in the current premises of the Embassy.

"We sincerely hope that we do not reach that point, but if you are not capable of resolving this matter of Mr Assange's presence in your premises, this is an open option for us."

An Ecuadorian government spokesman said he was "deeply shocked" by the British government's "threats"

news.smh.com.au... reaking-news-world/uk-govt-threatens-to-enter-ecuador-embassy-20120816-249rj.html?skin=text-only

edit on 15/8/2012 by skuly because: adding link

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I hate the UK gov.

I wished he'd just fu*ked me, to save all this hassle, yaknow?

I cant believe they were the best charges they could actually get on him LOL.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
this is so wrong thousands of people should turn up outside the embassy and spirit him out .it would not take long to organize it bring a mask ? the brit goverment needs a good old red neck on this one

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

The link to that particular "act" is in my first post, such an act shouldn't exist in the first place.

It is all just a big act really.

Here is the link again:

Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987.
edit on 15/8/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
My guess is the tactIc was used in a negotiation over a phone in an attempt to sway Equdors decision, just happened to back fire a bit, although I still think the uk could against any laws and might just do it, we all know international laws mean nothing when it comes western governments.. Who knows but it's looking like a James bond style escape from the rooftop is his only way out, will Equdor bow to the pressure??

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Just reported on LBC that the police have gone in to the embessy.

Its on News 24 right now.

edit: well was just went to a story on the banks very quickly

another edit : a LBC reporter ask a police man whats going on and its a "changing
of the guard" so maybe no arrest just yet.

and another edit: found a live feed from outside the embassy there some
man with a beard on it at the moment talking outside.

bambuser.com...

opps sorry PW229 did'nt see your link below.have a star as a apology

edit on 15/8/2012 by skuly because: thats it no more edits

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthPhobos

Doubtful, aren't those missile systems from the Olympics still in place? heh, joking, kinda, I hope.

Assange does not get my sympathy, he brought this on himself by not being a bit more discreet about which leaked info he chose to release, he put people/soldiers lives in jeopardy. He also pretty much given the middle finger to those who chose to back him financially with bails and what not.

I still wouldn't like to see him turned over to America, especially if the death penalty can be used.

What is the point of having diplomatic laws for embassies though if they can be revoked just like that? (sorry if I seem to be going in circles, I'm just rather annoyed at the moment)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

I'm shaking my head in a disagreeable way, I hope this doesn't damage ties with Ecuador too much, we should be ashamed, I know I am.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by skuly

I'm shaking my head in a disagreeable way, I hope this doesn't damage ties with Ecuador too much, we should be ashamed, I know I am.

I agree, this is disgusting.

The UK. More corrupt than the USA!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
So lets get this straight, he did not rape the girl, he just lied about using a jimmy hat? If thats breaking the law i have been guilty a good few times myself and im sure there's a few million other people out there in the same boat!

I hope he somehow gets away, i would harbour him in an instant. This mans only crime is letting us know what "They" dont want you too!
edit on 15-8-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Unless I read the story wrong, that is pretty much correct, if I am wrong, it would be great if someone could point out my error.

I guess the law is the law in whichever country you are in.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Im in Scotland UK mate. I know some of the lies i have told over the years to get my end away have been spectacular. And the old "Yes of course i have one on!" has never got me me jail yet. Slapped a few times though!
edit on 15-8-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Livestream from outside the Ecuadorian Embassy:

bambuser.com...

EDIT: Livestream seems to have stopped but there is a 40 minute video of what was recorded.
edit on 15-8-2012 by PW229 because: Added relevant information

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The next morning the girl left the apartment, bought him breakfast and returned the next day..

Does that really sounds like someone who wants to press charges?

Once the UK invades the embassy and kidnaps this citizen he will no doubt be shipped straight to the US and we will never see him again.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join