It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Macbook Pro, Parallels Desktop, and Windows XP Home SP3 Product Key HELP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Ok So I just purchased a Macbook Pro and decided that I would really like to keep my old music programs that only a PC can run. Well my old PC is crap so using two different computers isn't an option for me, especially with college coming up. So, my solution there was to pick up a PC "emulator" for my Mac so that I could just basically use my old PC with all its files and programs as an app on my Mac.

ANYWAY, here I am with about 100 gigs and my Windows XP Home Edition SP3 OS on my new Mac but... no product key... My PC was a gift from someone else and I received no boot disk nor product key... I actually found a good free program online that located my product key on my computer but when I typed it in on my Mac to register my version of Windows it just told me it was invalid...

I need help. I have spent good money and really just want to finish the plethora of songs that I already started on my PC... I just need to find a way past this problem and help would be so much appreciated. Any more details or screenshots I can provide will be upon request, I just really have no idea what to do at this point.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
If its a genuine OS SP3 then the product key should be available to you via these simple steps

Click Start, and then click Run
Copy and paste, or type the following command winver click OK:

Now,

A dialog box displays the version of Windows and the service pack that is currently installed on your computer.
Note If you still are not sure which service pack that you have, you might want to ask someone for help, or you might want to click here to contact Support.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

I definitely have SP3, the problem is that I can access the product key just fine on my PC and it is activate correctly and everything.... BUT on my Mac, with my virtual windows OS under parallel, I cannot access windows without giving it the key. Unfortunately the key that I have on my pc will not work, for whatever reason. And I can't access te start panel under the virtual windows OS either.. It is rather complicating and trust me very frustrating. I am just stuck and idk what to do

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

There are plenty of free programs for finding your existing key

Winodws key finder

Any other work around or method would be hacking which is against the ATS T&C to give advice on.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Over here, when a PC is shipped with Windows, they usually put a product key sticker on the back of the PC (case).

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Is the copy of Windows you have OEM or a full retail version? I think you'll need a full retail version for it to work in parallel on a Mac.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by warlok

Yeah I know and for whatever reason... Mine is absent. Ha it's so frutrating

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

Hmm yeah actually I do not know... The computer belonged to someone else previously so I don't know for sure but because they ha the computer while in a family situation I bet it was a copy... So the question is now, what can I do from here? Am i forced to buy a code or something

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept
reply to post by Toromos

Hmm yeah actually I do not know... The computer belonged to someone else previously so I don't know for sure but because they ha the computer while in a family situation I bet it was a copy... So the question is now, what can I do from here? Am i forced to buy a code or something

Did you not see my post? There's a link to a whole bunch of free programs that can tell you what your existing Windows key is. If you have a computer with an installed windows XP operating system like you said you just have to run one of the programs to get the key. I used to use the 'magic bean' one which always worked for me.

Link to many free Windows key finders

You said your computer didnt come with a windows boot disk but have you got an Windows XP installation disk? Because if you dont have an installation disk how are you hoping to install XP on another machine?

edit on 13-8-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm just guessing your copy is OEM, since it comes from another machine. If it was full retail it would be pretty clear. I think you're out of luck, unless you buy a full copy of XP somewhere.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Duh..i didnt read your post correctly
My apologies i had a migraine when i was reading it.

If you have an install disk you can request a new key from Microsoft for $10.

But like other members have said if its an oem copy then it wont work on your mac.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Have a glance at your u2u, you should be okay. I do know Microsoft has about 1.000 links for simple answer, sometimes it gets to a point thats its simply stupid to keep the users clicking and clicking, but i guess thats what its all about high click count, high ranking count.

new topics

top topics

join