It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney On Tax Returns: 'I'm Not A Business'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
As much as I hate the idea of "wasting" a vote, there is no way I can vote for Romney, or Obama now.

Obama just said they are going to do nothing to Goldman Sachs executives, for fraud and lying to congress, and the magnitude of what they did dwarfs anything Romney could have done.

I don't trust Romney though. Even if the worst of what people are saying is true, I could vote for him if he was capable of being honest about what he did. He is the most nervous and defensive candidate I have ever seen, and will loose a lot of votes because of this. We are capable of forgiveness, but tired of the lies. It was the same thing with Clinton. I only lost respect with him when he lied.
Romney has trouble remembering if his kids are actually his, or if he is allowed to know where the dressage horse is stabled. It makes me ask what he is trying to hide.

M

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Oh Lord, another crazy Taxer thread.

Boo, frickin' hoo. Mitt should show his returns as soon as Obama releases his school records. Mittens has released the same thing every other President has, and they weren't even Photoshopped with layers.

Erm, you are wrong, Sir. Mitt has not released his tax records to the same extent as other Presidential candidates had. Did you know this? Or does it now matter to you at all. And what does Photoshop have to do with anything in this thread, Sir? And Sir, why are you using two "lol" smilies in a row, which seems to indicate an overly unsophisticated person, Sir?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by morefiber
As much as I hate the idea of "wasting" a vote, there is no way I can vote for Romney, or Obama now.

Obama just said they are going to do nothing to Goldman Sachs executives, for fraud and lying to congress, and the magnitude of what they did dwarfs anything Romney could have done.

I don't trust Romney though. Even if the worst of what people are saying is true, I could vote for him if he was capable of being honest about what he did. He is the most nervous and defensive candidate I have ever seen, and will loose a lot of votes because of this. We are capable of forgiveness, but tired of the lies. It was the same thing with Clinton. I only lost respect with him when he lied.
Romney has trouble remembering if his kids are actually his, or if he is allowed to know where the dressage horse is stabled. It makes me ask what he is trying to hide.

What a great post. I'm with you on most of the stuff, Obama lost his luster for me a while ago and Romney just seems evil and out of touch.

I'll vote for you. Start a party.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm sorry I mentioned the SEC filings. Go here if you want to have a look www.sec.gov... But I'm not going to go through it unless you pay me a lot of money. I started and my eyes started to cross.

Bain Capital has 68 funds or businesses under it's umbrella with total, world-wide assets of $65 billion dollars. As I say, you'd have to pay be a lot to untangle that mess. Who knows, they may even own some countries.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by milominderbinder

A corporation is a special form of business with certain requirements, etc. Some businesses choose to incorporate, some do not.

Businesses have some of the rights and responsibilities real people do, so in some instances they are called "people" which is only shorthand for them in a particular situation. It's a legal fiction.

Real people, like Romney, don't have all of the same requirements that either businesses or corporations do.

I hope that helped clear things up. If not, please ask again.

Huh?

Re-read my original post again and then take a little time to learn something...anything...about the rules of logic.

While you are correct that some businesses (such as sole proprietorships) this really has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Romney's statements and generalized incoherency.

Please try to follow along with the conversation.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by morefiber

M

At this point in the game...the only "wasted" vote is a vote for a Republican or a Democrat.

If the GOP Railroading of Ron Paul has taught us nothing else, it should teach us that the ONLY answer is to completely and utterly destroy the two party system in a manner that would put Scipio Africanus' destruction of Carthage to shame.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
In the 80's I lobbied against businesses monitoring employee phone calls.
Employees lost.
After 9/11 almost all employers require a drug test ,a backround check and a credit report.
I don't see it as big problem for Mittens to provide 10 years of tax returns to run for president.
Do people really agree with in a double standard ? One for regular folks and another for the rich ?
If that is what you accept, thats what you'll get.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elathan
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

www.taxhistory.org...

Not hard to find Romney's 2010 and 2011 tax returns.../shrugs

No...the point is that Romney only will release the last two years taxes since AFTER he knew he was running for president. Just enough time to start paying taxes again.

You know what I want to know? Where the f^ck are the hackers from Anonymous and Wikileaks when you need them? Why hasn't somebody slipped right into the IRS and just nabbed them?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Thanks Buddhasystem.
I remember when it was not like this. When both the Dems and Reps would give us candidates that we could at least respect. I wish I could say I was hopeful that a new party would emerge, or new parties would emerge to replace the current ones. The have both been around too long and become too vested in the special interests that give them money. We seem to be going backwards on campaign finance reform, and no one even talks about this anymore. I will probably write in for Paul just to protest.

M

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Are you aware that there are different types of investments and that they are taxed at differing rates? Not everything is taxed at the same rate as earned income. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to not pay any taxes? Do you understand how complicated our tax code is? Do you comprehend how our current system incentivises global investors to put their money into off shore accounts? Do you understand that this is perfectly legal?

Here are a few links that if you read them will help you understand why the meme you are repeating is simply stupid.

link

link

link

It's not cheating. It's not shirking. It's not illegal. It sounds really ignorant to say otherwise.

Deny ignorance....

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Dear milominderbinder,

I am sorry to disappoint you, but as my signature says, I'm not the sharpest bulb in the drawer. Perhaps you're right that I know nothing about logic and am unable to follow a conversation. Let me show you what my thinking was, and you may offer your corrections. I'm assuming you're referring to these comments of yours:

OK...Romney says that (and I quote) "...corporations are people, my friend"...but he also says that he is not a "business"??

So...that means that if all corporations are people but not all people are businesses, then some corporations must also not be businesses even whilst some businesses are neither a corporation nor a person(s).

Starting from the top. Romney's comment that corporations are people could, correctly, have referred to the fact that people make up corporations, and there can't be a corporation without people. Or he might have meant that a corporation was a person, as a legal fiction. He would be wrong if he said that a corporation was a person in exactly the same way he or his wife were persons. I don't think a fair reading lends itself to that interpretation.

His statement that he is not a business is true, unless you want to call him some kind of sole proprietorship. Even then he only has some of the rights and responsibilities of a business.

When you say adopt "all corporations are people" as a premise, I believe you are imposing an artificial definition and false equivalence between "corporations" and "person" which comes from a very strained reading of Romney's comment. I would reject your premise because you seem to be saying a corporation is a living human individual.

I accept your second premise as "Not all living human beings are businesses."

Because of the failure of the first premise, the first conclusion, that some corporations are not businesses, falls.

I agree with the statement that some businesses are neither corporations nor persons. But I agree with it on definitional grounds. It's a given that some businesses are corporations and some are not. Further, businesses are not persons in the living human sense. Here again you rely on a misreading of Romney's comment, by substituting a definition which was not intended or can be properly attributed to him.

I must again apologize for not knowing enough about logic, and my inability to follow a conversation. Please show me where I went wrong, and I shall strive to improve.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by milominderbinder

Originally posted by Elathan

www.taxhistory.org...

Not hard to find Romney's 2010 and 2011 tax returns.../shrugs

No...the point is that Romney only will release the last two years taxes since AFTER he knew he was running for president. Just enough time to start paying taxes again.

You know what I want to know? Where the f^ck are the hackers from Anonymous and Wikileaks when you need them? Why hasn't somebody slipped right into the IRS and just nabbed them?

Not true. Romney ran in 2007 and released the appropriate tax records then as well. All this is, is deflection off the issues and a perpetuation of class warfare.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Oh Lord, another crazy Taxer thread.

Boo, frickin' hoo. Mitt should show his returns as soon as Obama releases his school records. Mittens has released the same thing every other President has, and they weren't even Photoshopped with layers.

Erm, you are wrong, Sir. Mitt has not released his tax records to the same extent as other Presidential candidates had. Did you know this? Or does it now matter to you at all. And what does Photoshop have to do with anything in this thread, Sir? And Sir, why are you using two "lol" smilies in a row, which seems to indicate an overly unsophisticated person, Sir?

You missed the entire point of the post. The fact is that Obama is a fraud, can't prove who he is, and has sealed far more than simple tax records. If Romney hasn't paid taxes, then the IRS would be fining him, arresting him, or whatever. Harry Reid's "rumor" is a joke. Did I tell you I heard Harry Reid is a child molester and has a dungeon in his basement, where he ties up little kids and molests them? Crazy, isn't it?

Personally, I'd rather have a tax dodging scumbag like Romney than someone who's forged his entire life and we know nothing about (except for the lies he's put forth his is books).

It's time the Taxers prove their claims that Romney is a tax dodger. Prove it! Show me the facts!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Not true. Romney ran in 2007 and released the appropriate tax records then as well. All this is, is deflection off the issues and a perpetuation of class warfare.

Really? What tax returns did Willard release in 2007? Also, class warfare has been waged for decades by the Right. Didn't you get the memo? The wealthy won. The middle class lost. Willard needs to release multiple years worth of tax returns just like every dang presidential candidate has. Period. Even one of his longtime backers and friends Jon Huntsman Sr. today called on Willard Mittens to release multiple years worth of returns. This issue isn't going away!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by KireDj

Really? What tax returns did Willard release in 2007? Also, class warfare has been waged for decades by the Right. Didn't you get the memo? The wealthy won. The middle class lost. Willard needs to release multiple years worth of tax returns just like every dang presidential candidate has. Period. Even one of his longtime backers and friends Jon Huntsman Sr. today called on Willard Mittens to release multiple years worth of returns. This issue isn't going away!

More polarisation. Willard doesn't NEED to release anything. There is no requirement. That's what the Obama crowd kept saying concerning his birth record and college transcripts.

Ooops. Guess the shoe is on the other foot now.
edit on 11-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I don't even like Romney, but I still don't think he should have to show his tax returns. The amount of money he made isn't anyone's business and shouldn't have anything to do with why someone does or doesn't vote for him. If you're looking for a reason not to vote for him there are plenty of legitimate reasons that actually apply without going into his personal life.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Who cares, Mitt is going to lose the election.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

So...why was it a moment of humor???

Because there nothing but con's.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Kaploink

But isn't this just feeding the "class warfare" meme that is so pervasive?

No idea what "class warfare" is then?
What class of people is the "not sure they contribute in taxes to the country they benefit from so much?"
Which class would that be?

Any posts in here hating on him for being rich? No? So you do understand what this is about then but want to play your Sean Hannity role?

Yeah, we all know that whether Mittens paid taxes or not is nowhere near as important as Obama's GPA in grade school or copies of every college paper he ever wrote but to some of us that do pay taxes it matters.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to not pay any taxes?

According to Republicans over half the country is not paying any taxes. So according to them, it is pretty damn easy. I cannot do it but I am not rich enough.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join