It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunking White Privilege

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I was participating in another thread on the subject of the school that doesn't allow it's white students to transfer. The issue of "White Privilege" came up and a link was given to an article about it. As to not derail the other thread too much, I decided to start a new one in order to address the article linked to.

HERE is the article.

The author has made a list of 50 specific instances of white privilege. I will show each claim followed by my rebuttal. Before beginning, I would like to say that I am well aware, and would agree that there was a time where white privilege was alive and well. There are racist people (of ALL groups) who would treat those of a different race with less respect and dignity than someone of their own.

While it's true that even today racism still exists, I refuse to believe that by simply being white you are granted a much greater chance to succeed. I believe the way you present yourself, your upbringing, your skills/knowledge, luck, your connections (who you know) and your parents/family wealth and social status are almost completely responsible for where you end up in life.

A black person that was brought up in a wealthy family with many business and social connections will most likely become far more successful and have a much easier life than a white person who was brought up in a trailer park. The fact that the person growing up in a trailer park is white isn't going to help him succeed, and the fact that the person growing up in a wealthy family with social connections and pull is black isn't going to hinder them. You will not convince me that the people of the US are so against black people as to cause them difficulty succeeding in life, when those same people elected a black president.

Anyhow, here is number one:

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

The same goes for minority groups. Nothing is stopping them from having a social circle of their same race. At work, I as a white person am not able to avoid associating with those outside my race (nor would I wish to) so I fail to see any legitimacy to #1.

2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.

This is really the same thing as #1, although personally the only people I was trained to mistrust were bankers, lawyers, and politicians.

3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.

This has absolutely nothing to do with race. This has to do with financial security. Next.

4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

This isn't something that can be assured for people of any race, social class, religion, age, or gender.

5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

I am white, and have been followed several times while at department stores. I have a friend who was in loss prevention so it's pretty easy for me to spot them. They follow everyone, it's their job.

6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

This is true for me as a white person. Aside from the fact that there are at least two black TV networks I'm aware of, numerous black magazines, and tons of black websites, a black person would have no problem watching TV or reading media targeted for them. But that's not the issue. Whites are the majority in this country. Notice he said "widely represented" and not "fairly represented" Black people account for about 13% of the population of the USA. Judging from the TV channels I watch, well over 13% of the people I see in advertisements are black. It only makes sense that the majority would be represented more than the minority.

7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

Absolutely. When people are taught the history of the US in school, they all learn about slavery. It is well understood that black people made major contributions towards the building of this nation, albeit not by choice at that time. The fact that slavery was a negative part of history is made perfectly clear. When discussing civilization in general the big ones that pop out to me are the Egyptians and Sumerians. Neither of them are my race, and I don't take issue with that. Whites didn't built the Egyptian or Sumerian civilizations, why would we be represented when discussing them?

8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

I'm not really sure where he is going with this one. I don't think any children of any race are told their race doesn't exist. From what I remember of school, when studying world cultures we studied Africans, Japanese, Chinese, Jews, Native Americas, and South American cultures. We never did any study of the various European cultures. Aside from the Greek and Romans (some say they aren't white, so I'm setting them off to the side)

9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

Unless he has evidence that his publisher would have refused to publish this piece if he were black I don't see where he's coming from.

10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.

Honestly to me this sounds bad. It makes it sound as if he believes his race to be so important that even in a group where nobody else was white everyone would recognize his opinions as important simply because he's white. Even if true, which I honestly doubt, who's fault is that? This is totally down to the group you are with, and has nothing to do with race.

11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.

Where is this acceptable? I think he is exposing more about his own personal shortcomings or issues than he is commenting on society as a whole.

12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

I think you will find most all music shops carry music from almost every race and culture out there. Is he implying there are a large number of music stores that only carry "white" music? What does that mean anyway? Rap and Pop music, which are currently some of the most popular types, represent different races extremely well. If he means authentic cultural music, I think that would be more difficult to find regardless of your culture. Again, no white privilege here.

13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.

I'm not sure if I just have such an inferior intellect compared to this man that I cannot understand what he means here, or he is being intentionally vague as to say basically nothing at all. I've had plenty of people money-pen 20s that I've given out, if that's what he means....

Continued in next post..

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.

I think he is just flat out wrong. If he means in school, all children have those that don't like them, and there really isn't anything to do about it. If he means people attacking his kids on the street or something, I think he (as a white person) has the exact same ability to protect his children than any other racial group.

15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

Not really true. There are plenty of cases in the news where white people are targeted simply for being white. On the other side of things, most black people do not get physically assaulted for being black. This isn't the 1800s.

16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.

The number of teachers who are going to discriminate against a student for not being white has got to be incredibly low. Any instance of a teacher going against a student because of their race would most likely make headlines and end with the teacher being removed from the classroom. As far as employers, there are still racist people out there, but I know a few cases personally where a manager refused to hire white people. The particular department was 100% Asian. Considering how vulnerable employers are to lawsuits about race related issues, I can't imagine the number of employers who refuse to hire non-whites is that high. Every job I've had in my life, whites were the MINORITY there. My coworkers were nearly all Mexican. This was the same for every single job I've had. It's pretty common for that type of work. So?

17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.

I think he is just making things up now. Honestly, like I said I think he's giving is a glimpse into his own bigoted mindset than exposing some grand conspiracy of white privilege.

18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.

If you swear in an environment where it's not deemed appropriate it will cause issues regardless or your race. I don't really know how people would know you're wearing second hand clothes unless they were in bad condition, dirty, or smelly, in any case people would notice such things regardless of your race. Not answer letters? What the heck is he even talking about?

19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.

What powerful male group? Say a black man had an audience with the president and some cabinet members? You really think he would be putting his race on trial? No?

20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

Where in this country would that be deemed acceptable to say to someone or any race?

21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

I can't even recall how many times I've been asked "what do white people do/think/etc about this or that" while involved in conversations with people outside my race. I think it's fairly common when in doubt about another race to ask a member of that race. Who else would you ask?

22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.

Bzzzzt. Wrong. Other than the scores of jobs I've wanted to apply for that require me to be bilingual (spanish) Other than that, why on Earth as a citizen of the US should I have to know how to speak the language and be knowledgeable of the customs of other countries? Which ones? ALL of them? I know the language and customs of the country I live in. When/if I go to another country I make sure I know their customs to the extent I don't do anything offensive. I also do my best to speak their language. I can assure you if I MOVED to another country I would totally be expected to learn their language and customs.

And he is TOTALLY off base here. That has nothing to do with being white. You think your average black American speaks any African language, or knows the customs of a certain tribe? Do you think your average Mexican American can speak Japanese and knows their customs? No? Then why should a white person? What is the relevance to being white with this one? Total nonsense...

23. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.

Absolutely false. I think you fellow ATSers are well aware that regardless of skin color certain people look at you with a raised eyebrow when you "go against the grain" as it were.

24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the "person in charge", I will be facing a person of my race.

Sorry, not true at all in my experience. Not very often do I need to make such a request, but when I do it's generally a Mexican or Asian in my area who is the manager. And the jobs I've had the same thing goes.

25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

How can I be sure of that? On the flipside, how can a minority know they WERE singled out because of their race?

26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race.

Plenty of posters with Minorities, Post Cards, Picture Books (my nephew has several featuring Minorities, I don't think I've seen greeting cards with people on them, many dolls and toys with minorities. So nope, wrong again.

27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.

Totally depends what organizations I would belong to. An organization featuring mainly minorities, I would probably feel the same way.

28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize mine.

Completely baseless claim, once again I think he is showing his own bigoted thought process.

29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.

This is just far too convoluted and vague to even address. There are too many variables here to even approach the issue regardless of what race you are.

30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.

Wow... really? This is again total BS. The thread I was talking about here on ATS proves this. When minorities bring up race they are coddled and agreed with. When white people bring up race they are ignored and ridiculed. He couldn't possibly get more wrong.

31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them, or learn from them, but in any case, I can find ways to be more or less protected from negative consequences of any of these choices.

Where does he come up with this stuff? Is he saying minorities who read minority writing are attacked or suffer because of it? Really?

32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.

Load of bull. White people are constantly worried about appearing "racist" or offending people of other races. Wrong wrong wrong.

33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.

Wrong. It's not uncommon to hear people talk about how white women have no butt, or no chest. Or what white men have small genitals. Such stereotypes exist against all races, whites included. He's really racking up the wrongs.

34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

Evidently not. Again the threads here on ATS are proof of that.

35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.

Uh.... yeah. That's because employers aren't forced to higher white people. Therefore there is no suspicion from coworkers that's how you got the job. If there were no such thing as affirmative action then there would be no such thing as people getting suspected as being an AA hire.

36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.

If any minorities viewing this would like to share a year they had that was constantly made worse because of their race feel free... And a white person who was fired from his job so that it could be taken by an affirmative action employee sure WOULD ask if his negative episode (getting fired) had racial overtones. It most certainly did.

37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps, professionally.

Other than friends, family, or career advisers at a college (options open to all races) who else are you going to talk to?

38. I can think over many options, social, political, imaginative or professional, without asking whether a person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do what I want to do.

I'm trying to think of something minorities aren't allowed to do... they are in all levels of politics, industry, and social organizations... still thinking...

39. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.

He has so many of these.... he is basically saying anything bad that a minority does is reflected upon their race. A racist person will probably always blame negative aspects of someone on their race..as we know there are racists in every race, therefore people of all races have to deal with this. As far is it actually being said out loud, again that's not acceptable anywhere.

40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.

I don't doubt there are some places in the south where minorities would be scared to go, but the same thing goes for white people. I know for a fact there are certain areas that white people are taking a big risk to go. So once again, this is not a phenomenon specific to minorities.

41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.

If you need legal help you go to a lawyer. Lawyers want money, they don't care the color of your skin as long as you can pay. If you can't pay, it doesn't matter your race, you won't get help. As far as medical help, is there a rash or hospitals kicking out minorities that I'm not aware of? Last I checked the fact that so many illegal immigrants using medical services and then jumping on the bill is affecting a lot of hospitals, so how exactly does being a minority hinder your ability to get medical care, when it's obvious many minorities are not only getting medical care but getting it for free?

Continued in next post...
edit on 7-8-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.

Yeah... so can minorities. He's admitting that there are times where whites will face rejection due to their race, and he just doesn't do those things. Minorities can do the same thing.

43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.

See answer to # 39

44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.

Huh? What? Academic courses and institutions that ONLY allow white people? Can't think of any. Academic courses and institutions that cater to minorities? PLENTY of them! Did he even think before making this list?

45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of the arts to testify to experiences of my race.

Yeah... if you are involved with art made by white people or culture. Art from Africa, Asia, India, etc is not going to. This has zero to do with race, it's the same for all cultures.

46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.

Yeah, so can black people. They are called Ebon-Aide. Think I'm joking? Look it up. Standard "flesh" colored bandages are going to work for the majority of people. Whites, Asians, some Indians, their skin tone is close enough the bandages will basically match just as well for them. It just makes good business sense to sell a product that will appeal to the majority of people. So what's the issue?

47. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with us.

Was this list written in the 1800s?

48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where people approve of our household.

What does that mean? Do you have a horribly messy yard and wonder why people complain about it? If you keep your house decent it's unlikely you'll have issues regardless of your race. If you have a messy yard it's likely you'll have people complain regardless of your race.

49. My children are given texts and classes which implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn them against my choice of domestic partnership.

Is he talking about gay marriage? I'm not really clear on the racial aspect of this whatsoever. Is he talking about texts generally featuring a home situation where there is both a mother and father present? Is he suggesting it's a BAD thing to show a stable home environment with a present mother and father?

50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.

There are tons of reasons a person would feel unwelcome and abnormal throughout life, a few of them are racial, but this also applies to white people. It all depends on what groups or people you are associating with, so there is no upper hand for being white. Whites can deal with being left out because of their race, too.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Please delete, space not needed.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

totally agree with your points,the article is nonsense.where do I obtain this white privilege they talk of?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The only comment I have about white privilidge is when you deal with older folks. Some of the older people still have that "white is right" mindset, I do see that occasionally.

Where I work, we have a pretty equal mix of white and black....and as far as I can tell no one cares.

It will be a great day when we can move past this stumbling block.

S&F

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

Well that dates this article badly; things have changed in the last 24 years.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Well that dates this article badly; things have changed in the last 24 years.

Exactly, yet that change isn't recognized. The way some people around here talk we are still living in the 60s or something.

I live in a pretty diverse area, and as I said all the jobs I've had featured mostly Mexicans. Most all my bosses have been Asian or Mexican. I've held positions and been paid less than a Mexican that was doing my exact same job. Did I complain and say I was getting paid less? No. I was getting paid less because I wasn't there as long. Or because when I got a job offer I would work for less money.

I've never been the highest paid person at a job, not even close. I've never been given promotions willy nilly. So for me personally I find it offensive to say that I live a privileged life because I'm white, when I've worked just as hard as the people around me of different races to get where I'm at.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Actually the author is a woman from a womans collage. And she's about as far off the mark as you can be.

Im white and i cannot get food stamps because Im white.

I kid you not, I filed 3 seperate applications each with the exact same information, the only difference? Different race boxes were checked. They preapprove you by mail ya see and then set up an appointment. The black me and the latino me got preapproved.......the white me? Nope....

SO the black me went to the appointment, and when they saw i was white....i was denied food stamps.

I am not kidding.....

Wheres that dam privledge I should be benefiting from?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Number 47 cracked me up.
Yes that is true.
Like when people of ANY race get pissy because their son or daughter is dating someone outside of their own race. I know this is shocking to some (sic) but there are plenty of AA who can't stand it when a black person dates/marries a white person. It is not uncommon whatsoever.

The rest of these.....

It's not uncommon for people to say "Statistics prove that _______________________."
Then the assert that the reason is the color of the skin.
I'm sure that that is the case in SOME of those instances.
But isn't it remotely possible that the reason they didn't get the job is because they weren't qualified?
Or maybe they had some great qualifications but their experience wasn't up to snuff?

As for some of the other stuff.
I really think that perhaps living in Metro-Detroit makes a difference in how I see things.
I can drive up and down a number of streets and find hairdressers and retail shops that cater to AA, Muslim, Indian and what not.
I don't have a problem with it. There was a need, the local business owners and developers recognized it and it was done.
If I want something else, I go somewhere else. Moving on in life now.

Also, Detroit schools suck. They do. A large number of charter schools requiring uniforms have popped up and you see a very large number of AA families using these. They jumped at the possibility to make their kids lives better and they did it. They didn't sit there and moan that the world wasn't fair. They just did it.
One of the Winans developed a school for the performing arts and from what I understand they traveled the world.

The matter of people saying they're a credit to their race.
Oh give me a break. Blacks say this about whites. They say a lot about whites. Jeez, they say it to our faces sometimes too!!!! I've had it happen.

White privilege...heavens. I think in the past and with older generations, definitely can exist.
But to be honest, hasn't anyone stopped to look at the way Irish or Italians were treated (and probably fill in the blank)?
"NO IRISH WANTED HERE!"
It was very common.

And no you don't see those signs anymore, but you don't see "No AFRICAN AMERICANS WANTED HERE!"

But we know that it happens.
Why are so many people so quick to believe that all white Europeans are the same and stick together?
Irish-Americans are still often as seen as hot tempered drunks.
And when you're Italian well of course you must be in the mob or talk like you're from the Bronx.
And if you're Jewish you ALWAYS have to be a doctor, lawyer or accountant.
And they get treated as such.

Why?

Because people are people and imperfect and have a long way to go.

Ugh.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This list is ridiculous..

"I can't find band-aids that match my skin color, the system is so overbearingly oppressive!"

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I was denied food stamps as well. I have shared parenting with my sons mother, and I was told it was "First come first serve" with the foodstamps regarding our son. I was told I could apply for just me ... So I did, and was still denied.

I will even go as far as losing or being denied jobs because I am white... Or a non democrat voter..

Example: I worked for a company that was rising in popularity... A company that made sports memorabilia. I was there everyday for months .. even early. I did what was asked of me and no complaining... as many did.

One day I wanted to get to know my supervisor a little better and struck up a conversation with him while working. We had ventured into the realm of politics, even though its "something you aren't supposed to talk about."

Anyways, as the conversation continued, I realized my boss was a democrat..from Australia. As I mentioned before I did not vote for Obama because well.. I'm a conservative. The next day I received a call before work saying I was relieved of my duty. Go figure.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

In my experience it is just their way of putting the responsibility in another's hands.

I didn't get the job; not because I don't have experience, but because of my race.
They ignored me, not because I looked like I hated the world, but because of my race.
They made fun of me, not because they were being senseless idiots (like most kids are), but because of my race.

One chooses how THEY respond not the other way around.

I being white and coming from a low-income background can attest that it is not because of race. It is f-ing hard to rise in the system from the bottom, but with ingenuity and persistence it is possible. That is if you really want to be the chimp of a corporation that has no morals and only a bottom-line. Fortunes can be amassed in many ways.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
White privilege was invented by academics to explain away gaps in education between whites and underrepresented minorities.

But the problem with this explanation is that Chinese, Japanese and other Asians actually outperform whites on standardized testing. The logical conclusion is that Asians have more white privilege than whites.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
White privilege was invented by academics to explain away gaps in education between whites and underrepresented minorities.

But the problem with this explanation is that Chinese, Japanese and other Asians actually outperform whites on standardized testing. The logical conclusion is that Asians have more white privilege than whites.

To add to this, the Asian culture tends to put more value on education; they attend school longer and are more disciplined than we are in US schools.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

So when a minority group excels in the US it is because of their culture.

But when a minority group lags behind, it is because of white privilege holding them back?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

James, you did a great job with this thread...I applaud you.

I am a white, middle-aged woman who has dropped out of the workforce due to being harassed for standing up for minority workers, and challenging the "white" status quo. The fact is that if you are part of an organization that hires all races without "discriminating" against anyone, and then you move into a position of a tiny bit of power and pull, you are EXPECTED to uphold the "white" expectations, or the "executive" expectations, to agree to do whatever they say.

When you stand up for those being oppressed, you are a pariah, and your upward mobility ends, immediately. I have had to leave jobs because minority colleagues harassed me mercilessly BECAUSE I am white, and was deemed by my poorly-educated colleague to be an "inferior" worker. She was pissed as a hell cat when she handed me her "unpleasant" clients to start my workload, and then discovered I was making lots of progress with them, that they liked me despite her assumption they would reject me, and even began to participate in group activities that the agency hosted monthly, when while she was their case worker, refused to participate.

Many of them found her to be abrasive, difficult, mean, overbearing, and bossy -- and she was THEIR race. Nevertheless, the white management allowed her to treat me like crap, to yell at me and make me cry in meetings, and even with HR stepping in, it didn't change. WHY? Because she was brown? So they're going to keep her, a nasty, judgmental, shallow, bossy woman whose clients didn't even like her....but I was allowed to "resign" without them disciplining HER.

I could go on and on...
but the point of the neighborhoods of choice particularly "hit home" with me this morning. I live in an integrated, mixed neighborhood of mostly owner-resident, working class homes. I've been here since 1999. There are many brown and black people in this area, and the majority of them are perfectly pleasant and there are no problems. Several of my immediate neighbors are black families; no problems. Then a new crowd moved in next door. The owner is a young black man, well-spoken, who has custody of several kids with no mother present. No problem. Got to know him, and his kids, played with the kids, helped the guy with tools, even hired him to do some work in my home (he is a freelance handyman). His partner was a white guy. No problems.

I considered him a friendly neighbor, and all of my neighbors have been friendly. It's an old-fashioned "hi how are you?" kind of "small-town" atmosphere, even in a metropolitan city, but the pace of life is slower, neighbors know each other, and look out for one another.

Then my black neighbor's sister moved in. She is a shrieking, nasty, abusive, and ALWAYS LOUD woman who has no job, cusses and swears at the kids, browbeats her brother (the owner) and has now turned his kids and him against us.....and disrupted our friendly, calm, peaceful neighborhood into a nightmare of movie-script ugliness.

It seems that she feels it's fine to move to a quiet, peaceful neighborhood and behave as though she's in the deep ghetto, and it really bothers me. I'm a nice person, a good neighbor, a kind person; she is hateful and negative and mean. What can I do?

Ack.

So much for white privilege. I'm not the one causing disturbance; I just want to mind my own business and be able to enjoy the serenity of this quiet place, and now I cannot, until she leaves. Which I hope is soon. Toxic neighbors come in all colors, and my new "neighbor" is poison incarnate.

And what can I do with my "white privilege"? Nothing. Not a damned thing, except call the police. You think that's going to stop the trash talking, noisy, abusive, name-calling, unstable household behavior? Is that going to improve the situation? Nope. It just pisses her off even more. My race is working against me, ruining days/weeks, now going on months, and that is how it is. At work, at home, wherever, "white privilege" is a joke.

The author of that article is as wrong as she can be.

/rant

edit on 7-8-2012 by wildtimes because: spelling and syntax

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
People of color can't talk about their experiences in a public forum without white people feeling outraged.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by cetaphobic

I don't believe that for a second.

Anyone can talk about their experiences on this topic.

Perhaps it would help others see what minorities are experiencing.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Of course they CAN talk about their experiences.
But not without white outrage.
Which is why you won't see much if any people of color on ATS at all, much less this specific thread. They've been continually flamed and pushed out over, what, more than a decade now?
edit on 7-8-2012 by cetaphobic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join