It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What service do Olympic Athletes provide to society?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Maybe a better question is, "Why does anyone have to contribute to society?" If a person only did what they needed to do to survive, a person would only have to "work" about 4 hrs. a day. Slavery is based on the concept that a person can do more "work" than they need to do to survive, in order for someone else to profit on their labor.

Considering the state of society today, with near global slavery to banks created by artificial debt, perhaps we should reconsider the idea that people need to be "productive members of society."

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
1. Tax payers do not pay for the years and years and years of training and hard work these athletes put in to compete and many of these come out of pocket for ALL expenses.

2. National pride of which we used to have allot but that has been slowed sucked away from us in the USA.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

....?? The vast majority of olympians have actual jobs. This is just a hobby that they happen to be exceptionally good at. Most olympians don't even get paid, and have to fork out their own money to make sure they get to the games. "What service do they provide" .. what an ignorant question.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
It's also great to have some positive role models. I'm sick of our society putting these reality Tv celebs in our faces, trying to promote that vapid lifestyle as career choice for young people. Our women athletes have been absolutely amazing, they are articulate, dedicated and very attractive. I'm much happier seeing these people being seen as the real celebrities that our youth should be trying to emulate than "The Only way is Essex" variety.

The people who are taken in by such programs deserve the entertainment they get. Stupid is as stupid does.Gump..

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Even football/soccer/tennis/e.t.c players provide regular entertainment, but olympic athletes train for six or more years at tax payer expense so they can compete for 10 mins.

How do I get taxpayer money for my kids to train!?!? This sounds like a GREAT deal, too bad it doesn't happen that way.

They provide hope, unity, pride, role models, ambassadorship and goodwill to other countries, etc. Entertainment just like any other athlete. They provide jobs to their trainers and support staff, and they bring economic impact to the towns they visit for competition.

You could really pick any sporting event or community event and ask the same question, but the cities are lobbying to draw these events to their town, so obviously there is some benefit.

What do those worthless senators and representatives provide for their 4-6 years in office?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CallYourBluff

Yes, but if they can presented with an alternative, then that should be a good thing. Hopefully this will inspire a young girl to be more of a Victoria Pendleton, than a Victoria Beckham.

Great Britain female cyclists, just broken world record. Nice going girls.

edit on 3-8-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Again. Thankyou to the people that gave well thought-out and mature responses to my question.

Obviously i have my own opinion and it mirrors most of the thoughtful opinions posted here, but the question would have been moot if i hadn't of challenged the reader to accept the burden of proof on this one.

Oh and, i play many sports.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

....?? The vast majority of olympians have actual jobs. This is just a hobby that they happen to be exceptionally good at. Most olympians don't even get paid, and have to fork out their own money to make sure they get to the games. "What service do they provide" .. what an ignorant question.

Questions are not ignorant, only answers and opinions.

But thankyou for your un-emotional response.

does no one have basic reading and comprehension skills anymore?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledgedesired
1. Tax payers do not pay for the years and years and years of training and hard work these athletes put in to compete and many of these come out of pocket for ALL expenses.

2. National pride of which we used to have allot but that has been slowed sucked away from us in the USA.

In many countries the government pays for all of this stuff.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Did you ever consider the peaceful competition between counties?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Entertainment - they are typical athletes; just subsidized because their sport of choice is not as popular in most cases. For instance tug-of-war, ballooning, poodle clipping, firefighting, kite-flying, cannon shooting and pigeon racing – to name a few were all one-time Olympic Sports.

On another note - basically the Olympics have become one-world propaganda and a platform for the elite to have their lame ‘theater rituals’. Believe me, its not random entertainment - there is no coincidence. If someone cannot see the symbolism, it’s no one’s fault but their own.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

We achieve as one....through them.....

What they conquer and overcome and achieve , is an achievement for all of humanity.

It's more about teaching life lessons and stuff than about giving you anything.

They are a living metaphor or example for you to observe and then learn from.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
their purpose is inspiration to the next sporting stars

and they are NOT trained at taxpayer expense...
they are sponsored (usain bolt and nike)

and as outcastsearcher has said they train for an event EVERY year (world champs etc)

and might i add the amazing effect on economy for the host nation anyways
so anything payed for by taxpayer such as stadiums n stuff is repayed back big time

think i heard figures of 500billion to UK economy...
and i cant see it costing 1/10 of that

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So your saying it's no use to society having people who are talented at sport?
They represent the pride of your country and they're role models for the younger generations that aspire to maybe one day compete in the Olympics but it isn't just the Olympics they compete in. I thought that would be fairly obvious.
edit on 3-8-2012 by fusionhunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by fusionhunter
They represent the pride of your country and they're role models for the younger generations that aspire to maybe one day compete in the Olympics but it isn't just the Olympics they compete in. I thought that would be fairly obvious.

No, that is not what i am saying, I'm ASKING what use it is, not stating that they have no use. there's a difference.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31

Originally posted by fusionhunter

No, that is not what i am saying, I'm ASKING what use it is, not stating that they have no use. there's a difference.
Well I've just told you.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I think the service is their example of doing your best against the best and reaffirming the possibility of humanity getting along. please note the word "possibility".

That's my .02 OP

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Yes, but if they can presented with an alternative, then that should be a good thing. Hopefully this will inspire a young girl to be more of a Victoria Pendleton, than a Victoria Beckham.

I agree and still have faith in the discernment of our youth. The fact is the stupid outweigh the smart and the world is run by numbers. I find Pendleton to be much more attractive than Beckham.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
As it was originally devised to be a symbol of unity for the world,it serves a place for national pride and a unique goal of achievement.
It also make a whole lot of people happy so I'm for that.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Just to clarify, I am loving the Olympics.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join