It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why women live longer than men

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
www.livescience.com...

An evolutionary "loophole" might explain why males of many species live shorter lives than their female counterparts, a new study finds.

A new study has found that the genetic code of women might actually be the source of their, typical, longer life span than men.

The study has found that genetic damage, mutations, etc. might be better dealt with in women due to their unique mitochondria.

Could this further the search for human longevity?

Perhaps in time, when genetic research and concepts are more fully understood, the human being might be able to live longer and happier.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Maybe it's because of the grief they give us guys that drives us to the grave early???

(by the way, that was a joke heh)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Sure....a serious "joke" lol

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

I have always wondered this too, always asking myself why do women live longer.. it's one of those mystery things no one can explain accurately just yet.

My theory is they look after themselves much more than men do

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

No such thing as a serious joke my brother

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
And then we will be even closer to fulfilling the agenda of total male feminization.

Like I needed one more dude pushing me aside in the mirror.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I've wondered about this, but I think you guys are the lucky ones.

How many women outlive their spouses and even some of their male children? Who in their right man would want that?

Living longer doesn't mean living a quality extra few years. My granny outlived a child and her husband. Her last year was plagued with devastating emotional and physical problems. She died a year after my grandfather, and I truly believe she willed her death.

My great grandmother survived three children and her husband of nearly sixty years. She spent the last four years of her life bedridden.

All in all, I think I'd rather die before going through that.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I would say women live longer due to a number of bad-lifestyle habits they are slightly less prone to, such as:

1) Women drink less
2) Women smoke less
3) Women partake in less reckless behaviour, such as extreme sports

Those three may be more than enough to explain the longevity issue, no?

Do we not need to prove that the issue exists before we look for potential evolutionary causes?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It is very possible that a combination of bad lifestyle choices, and other things could contribute to longer lifespans in women.

I have watched one of my grandmothers wither away in a nursing home, which was very hard. But on the other hand, another of my grandmothers was very active until the day she died.

I think the rate of decline is depenent on physical, and mental activity; especially the types of activity.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I've always thought that since women are designed to carry another life-form in them, they simply have extra supplements in reserve when not providing for said extra life.

When that 'stuff' isn't being used for enriching that extra life, it gets spilled over into her normal genes which extends her own life.

That, or what HomerinNC said about men wanting to check out sooner than their spouses!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by humphreysjim
I would say women live longer due to a number of bad-lifestyle habits they are slightly less prone to, such as:

1) Women drink less
2) Women smoke less

This is not true.
eurpub.oxfordjournals.org...
It's pretty even and shockingly women are more likely to develop cancer due to smoking than men are. Female cancers are generally a bit harder to treat as well

3) Women partake in less reckless behaviour, such as extreme sports

Those three may be more than enough to explain the longevity issue, no?

Define risky, eating a fried chicken sandwich is pretty bad for your health too you know. I'd call that risky. Women engage in tons of risky behaviors as well.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Come to think of it all my great grandmas / grandmas outlived their spouses by yeeeeeeeearrrrs and many did outlive children. I don't fancy it, doesn't bare thinking about. OH jokes about pushing up daisies by 54, I don't find it funny so the beatings will continue until morale improves.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

This is not true.
eurpub.oxfordjournals.org...
It's pretty even and shockingly women are more likely to develop cancer due to smoking than men are. Female cancers are generally a bit harder to treat as well

Actually, it is. From your own link:

"men were significantly more likely than women to report drinking ‘heavily’".

Heavy drinking is the most significant cause or health problems.

Also, this only polled some people in "non-manual" jobs, and does not tell the whole story.

Originally posted by antoniaDefine risky, eating a fried chicken sandwich is pretty bad for your health too you know. I'd call that risky. Women engage in tons of risky behaviors as well.

Yes, but bad eating is likely to cut a few years off your life whereas a car crash due to reckless driving may cut 50 years off your life, and that will affect the numbers far more.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

Firstly, women are not likely to admit heavy drinking because it is still socially unacceptable for women to do so. Second, "heavy" drinking for women is lower than it is for men. Women simply can't process it well. More than one drink a day is defined as heavy drinking for women. Women also die in accidents as well.

It is unlikely the study did not take this into account. As an aside, my paternal great grandmother lived to 97, smoke and drank everyday (heavily i might add) and ate lard to boot.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by humphreysjim

Firstly, women are not likely to admit heavy drinking because it is still socially unacceptable for women to do so.

I wouldn't say it's socially acceptable for anyone to admit they're an alcoholic.

The fact remains, if we accept the poll you supplied at face value, it does say men drink more. We can add our personal spin to it after the fact, but then what use is the poll itself as evidence of anything.

I would say it's very possible more is at play than lifestyle, but I haven't seen it proved.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

I thought men died before their wives because they wanted to?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Selection.

Women are more useful in old age to the continuance of their genetics. Children with engaged Grandmothers are more likely to live and thrive. While the advantage is slight, it is enough to have an effect over many generations. Slowly increasing the numbers of those whose genes tend towards women who live longer.

Add this the increase in deaths amoung males of all ages under 25, you'll get some skewing of the statistics.

Males are also more likely to die when they are older when their female partner dies before them. The person who connects them to their family is gone, and they haven't the lifetime of skills on how to engage with them. They essentially die of unrecognized loneliness.

If older males start engaging with their families more consistently (as they are in some groups) and remain a useful addition to the overall health of their grandchildren, their lines will eventually start showing these same traits. If they choose to mate with women with these tendencies, their line will get a boost in that direction immediately.

edit on 5-8-2012 by SibylofErythrae because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Thats nice and all but,

I personally think it is because the men will take jobs that are/could be questiuonable to their health. Such as a coal miner, any dust filled occupation, chemicals, and so on.

I believe that occupation has alot to do with it. I im in no way saying that a woman does not work hard to take care of the family, but usually(I want to emphasize usually here) the men will work themselves to the bone to provide for their family. Often staying up late or not sleeping right.

That is just my thought on this. And maybe after generations of doing this the mens dna is somewhat mutating to compensate for something else. You know like evolving.
edit on 5-8-2012 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Woman live longer than men because men do all the work...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I don't have links but years ago they used to explain the longevity difference in that men generally either did non physical office/executive work or did very demanding physical labor well into middle age and beyond- both are very hard on your health. Women did most of the housework and did it daily and it was physically demanding enough that it provides good conditioning in terms of mobility, tone and stretch as well as cardiovascular health. Mind you, this was older research but it does make me wonder. If you do all your own regular housework and yard maintenance it's pretty physical and so is carrying babies and toddlers around. It was stressed that daily moderate conditioning is more healthful than a lifetime of demanding manual labor or bursts of sporadic activity at the gym and weekend sports. I'm not saying this is true. I'm saying this is what was believed and studied in the past but it does make sense to me.

I would like to see current research on this. Good thread.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join