It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Campaign Sues to Restrict Military Voting: (lower than Low).

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Obama, like many Democrats, like to say that, while they may disagree with the GOP on many issues related to national security, they absolutely share their admiration and dedication to members of our armed forces. Obama, in particular, likes to be seen visiting troops and photos taken with members of our military. So, why is his campaign and the Democrat party suing to restrict their ability to vote in the upcoming election?

On July 17th, the Obama for America Campaign, the Democratic National Committee and the Ohio Democratic Party filed suit in OH to strike down part of that state's law governing voting by members of the military. Their suit said that part of the law is "arbitrary" with "no discernible rational basis."

Currently, Ohio allows the public to vote early in-person up until the Friday before the election. Members of the military three extra days to do so. While the Democrats may see this as "arbitrary" and having "no discernible rational basis", I think it is entirely reasonable given the demands on servicemen and women's time and their obligations to their sworn duty.

Source: www.breitbart.com...
[Removed Non Required Picture]

Well ANOTHER fine example of what a deranged nut we have on our hands as the POTUS.

I hope the military vote is 1005 to toss the Tool to the curb come November. And Obama will have no one else but himself to blame. And, it will serve him right.

Come on Troops. STAND up and Be HEARD. You, more than anyone else, has far more right to vote... especially more than the illegal aliens Obama has lined up.

Sorry about the blank posting in the start. hit the wrong button before I was finished.
edit on 8/2/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/2/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Edited OP. My thoughts are irrelevant.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

I didn't have anything to say really, but I gotta criticize the point of posting huge photos with one line memes that are totally irrelevant.

I kind of am tired of it.
I did come to ATS to read intelligent comments, but instead am bombarded by pointless meme photos.

About the OP's topic:
If I read this correctly they want to eliminate the 3 extra days the service members have to vote?

Could this be because most service members are pro-liberty and will vote against most forms of tyranny given that it's not hidden exceptionally well? Maybe it's not but that's just my initial assumption.

Assumptions usually turn out wrong so I won't be surprised if I am. But on the other hand, perhaps I am right? Time will tell.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Never mind I guess, you cleaned it up before my post was finished.

Thanks, I appreciate you choosing against it.

So ignore my comment above please.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This doesn't make Obama a nut. In fact it's a sensible move from his perspective if a large portion of the military's going to vote Ron Paul.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This isn't taking anyone's right to vote away. The military has many ways that they can vote so this trying to restrict their vote is BS. There is no logical reason for a soldier who isn't serving in the field to have an extra three days to vote. They will still be able to vote early an extra three days aren't necessary.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

So let me get this straight. Simply demonstrating you are who you claim to be in exercising the most important and meaningful right a citizen has is totally out of line and burdensome. Downright illegal they say.... However, THIS is alright and in fact, needs to be done?

Oh...I love how it's an evil to crush when it's to their benefit to act one way but a right that must be upheld..when the benefit goes the other way.

This is why Department of Justice isn't supposed to be a political animal, even if it's head is an appointee. Geeze.... What's next? Just outlaw Republicans from voting outright? I mean the registration is right there in most states..Easy enough to do.

I just re-read this and realized..this isn't even carrying the quasi-legitimacy of the DOJ for a true voter rights issue. This is PURELY political. Oh FAIL Obama!

edit on 2-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Why do you read that crap? At least LOOK at a second source... I know you never will. You'll just believe whatever the right-wing news tells you without looking any further, because it's what you WANT to be the truth.

Actually, the Republicans ELIMINATED the early voting period, but made an exception for military voters.
THAT'S why the Dems are suing.

The Republican-dominated Ohio legislature eliminated early voting in Ohio's elections this year, a restriction that disproportionately effects minority and low-income voters. Those populations use early voting to counteract the long lines they traditionally face on election day in the traditionally under-equipped and understaffed polling places in the neighborhoods.

The new restriction, however, does not apply to military voters, and because of that, the Obama campaign and the DNC are suing.

Source

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

COLUMBUS, Ohio — President Barack Obama's re-election campaign on Tuesday filed a federal lawsuit against Ohio's top elections official in a dispute over the battleground state's law that restricts early, in-person voting during the three days before Election Day.

Obama's campaign and Democrats argue that the law unfairly ends early, in-person voting for most Ohioans on the Friday evening before the Tuesday election, while allowing military and overseas voters to cast a ballot in person until Monday.

It seems as if there were new election rules that would restrict early voting, except for military. Democrats dont think thats fair for the rest of Ohioans.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I see Benevolent is on the ball today.
edit on 2-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The lawsuit in fact says that if the military has the extra days to vote so should everybody. So not only is the title wrong but pretty much the entire OP.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Yeah.. No reason whatsoever why Military members might need this special exception. It isn't like they are coming and going on forced deployments with all the worst timing...or on the other side of the planet while needing to vote or anything.

Nope... Military voters have 100% precisely the same opportunity and chance to vote as the guy who lives a few blocks from the polling place. What a silly thing to consider any special arrangements.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
We're really beating around the bush here. It's not about whether or not the Military needs three additional days to vote. It's about Republicans making up the majority of the Military, and Democrats don't like it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Yeah.. No reason whatsoever why Military members might need this special exception. It isn't like they are coming and going on forced deployments with all the worst timing...or on the other side of the planet while needing to vote or anything.

Nope... Military voters have 100% precisely the same opportunity and chance to vote as the guy who lives a few blocks from the polling place. What a silly thing to consider any special arrangements.

Absentee ballots exist. Sorry, I agree with the Democrats. It's not right to keep it open three days for one set of the population. Extend it for everyone.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't think the military really cares if people get to vote early alongside themselves...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

I don't think the military really cares if people get to vote early alongside themselves...

In my mind, that really isn't the point. What harm is being done to ANYONE by making it easier for Military members to cast their legal ballot? They're suing..that suggests some harm somewhere. I read their logic, but I fail to grasp what problem is so serious, yet another trip to the courts are required to fix it. Indeed... The will of Ohio's elected leaders at all levels here are meaningless, once again. The Feds have Spoken and little people must obey.

Well... That's just crap. There is a very legitimate and easily understood set of reasons, to my view, for why this was done how it was. I do not see a single reason why attacking it through law suit from Obama's political campaign was necessary or even remotely productive.

Just because we CAN (Sue in this case) does NOT mean we SHOULD. This election is going to be a legal nightmare like we've never seen before if THIS kind of crap is the preview for what is to come. Good God. Maybe I ought to book a vacation to Mongolia for November AND December. I'll just send my absentee....if that's okay with Dear Leader and his crew.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Repubicans in Ohio have eliminated Early Voting - another of their voter suppression tactics.

The DNC is suing to make sure ALL Ohioans can retain Early Voting.

Obama campaign, DNC sue Ohio over early voting restrictions

The Republican-dominated Ohio legislature eliminated early voting in Ohio's elections this year, a restriction that disproportionately effects minority and low-income voters. Those populations use early voting to counteract the long lines they traditionally face on election day in the traditionally under-equipped and understaffed polling places in the neighborhoods.

The new restriction, however, does not apply to military voters, and because of that, the Obama campaign and the DNC are suing.

The OP's thread title and article headline are full-blown lies. The DNC is in fact, suing to restore Early Voting, and is not suing to impede military voting at all.

Mods/Admins, this topic needs to be given a HOAX alert.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The extra three days isn't for the soldiers convenience; it's to assure their right to vote while deployed. Any of you punks that want this additional three days (just to be fair), should run down to the recruiting office and enlist. Of course you're to selfish for that. Just punk yourself back to McDonalds, eat a friggin fat burger and stay out of a man's conversation!

You want rights you aren't willing to defend; bunch of punks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
In my mind, that really isn't the point. What harm is being done to ANYONE by making it easier for Military members to cast their legal ballot?

There is no harm in ANYONE voting early. So ask the GOP why they eliminated it for everyone else.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

In my mind, that really isn't the point. What harm is being done to ANYONE by making it easier for Military members to cast their legal ballot? They're suing..that suggests some harm somewhere. I read their logic, but I fail to grasp what problem is so serious, yet another trip to the courts are required to fix it. Indeed... The will of Ohio's elected leaders at all levels here are meaningless, once again. The Feds have Spoken and little people must obey.

Uh... first off, what is the harm in making it easier for everyone to vote, not just the military? They can still vote early, in fact if I am reading this right the new election rules are still in place so only they can do so.

Second, the federal government is not doing anything, its the democrats who are suing to get these new laws removed so that all people can vote early, not just the military. Which is how it was before.

Well... That's just crap. There is a very legitimate and easily understood set of reasons, to my view, for why this was done how it was. I do not see a single reason why attacking it through law suit from Obama's political campaign was necessary or even remotely productive.

You see the logic in restricting citizens from voting early?
edit on 2-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I would almost bet it is because they cannot rig the votes, They want everyone to vote at the same time so they can only have to rip off votes once

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join