It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for opinions on an idea I had about turning a TV show into a Movie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Hello all, Ive had this idea running in the back of my head for a few weeks now and I was wondering if some people could give me some input about it. To make the conversation easy, im not gonna say which television series Im talking about however it is in the public domain and there are no copyright issues.

So this television series has about 60 episodes and only around 1/3 of them have stuff which pertains to a central story, the rest are what we call filler episodes. Its animated for what its worth. The series is really great but Ive always felt the best part buried in between the rest and it would be really cool to see a remake. My idea is to sort through all the episodes and choose which of those have clips which I can use for the main series. I can the clips out and also use some clips from other non important episodes which have some good/useful scenes. Other than video central to the story my other goal would be to find filler parts and also different music/audio that may be useful to edit in between scenes or directly into them. I would have to find a way to keep the flow, whether by careful placement of the order of clips and or using a fade out type of deal.

So in the end I would probably have a 4 hour or so movie/abbreviated series which tells a story rather than simply entertaining episodes with a story here and there. My main worry is that I wont be able to keep the flow of the clips well if I mix them too often. I thought it would be really cool to take these two particular episodes and mix them together as if certain parts of them were happening at the same time. I am looking into finding a better movie editing program as well, I only have windows movie maker to be honest. Anyways Im not a professional but I think this would be cool, any thoughts/opinions on the general concept and execution?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Ok...I'll bite...

Originally posted by tehdouglas
To make the conversation easy, im not gonna say which television series Im talking about

You should really tell what series you are talking about. You are talking to a userbase of several thousand people, from all over the world here. It may be worth it to you to make, but is it worth it to the rest of the world to watch?

Its animated for what its worth.

Is it animated or "anime"? Looney Tunes is animated...Cowboy Bebop is anime...(and this is just my own curiosity here
)

The series is really great

Again, lots of people you're asking opinions from. Your opinion is that it's "really great". Will I feel that way?

So in the end I would probably have a 4 hour or so movie

You want my opinion on whether or not you should make a "4 hour or so movie"? Without any context or even an inkling of what this movie is, my initial answer is a resounding "Naaa.... that's a bit too long for me."

windows movie maker

I found a program a few months ago...Lightworks that at the time was free...not sure if it still is or not...

Anyways Im not a professional but I think this would be cool, any thoughts/opinions on the general concept and execution?

These are my thoughts...not meant to criticize in any way...but before I go cutting and splicing possibly over 4 hours worth of footage, I would wanna know if someone else might wanna see it...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
That sounds cool, I've seen similar concepts done on Youtube. Probably not quite what you have in mind, but this user is mixing scenes from Superman Returns, Batman films, Hulk, and many others to create a fan film "Death and Return of Superman". The maker of this film uses a lot of video editing which I don't know if you intend on doing any editing that elaborate, but he uses a program called Adobe After Effects, which I'm sure isn't cheap. I've been using a program called videopad video editor which probably has the same features as Windows Movie Maker, except it can open more file types like FLV (flash video). The free version only lets you save movies as AVI, SWF or WMV though. Good luck to you, and I look forward to seeing your finished product!

new topics

join