It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US bid for multi-billion dollar nuclear aircraft carrier strike group in Perth

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Then I guess next step is the Philippines.
Much closer and less strategic but still serves the purpose I guess.
Anyway, USA is bent on "owning" SEA, hopefully China stands down and watch them dancing alone.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

We Aussies actually could care less if Americans like us or not

Yet you quote the nonsensical American version of of "could not care less"?
"could care less" is meaningless because it means that you care because you could care less.
(No offence intended)

Any ways, what I wanted to say was this. Someone stated that Chinese military ships you be sunk.

Consider this. Thousands of container ships enter US waters every year. They are not military ships. The Russians have a 4 missile system that fits in a container.

Mm. Do two and two make 5?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Let's just assume for a second that the guys sitting in an office planning this stuff out do have your/our best interests at heart, that there is no military industrial complex conspiracy. That they do want to make life better for the citizens.

What do they think this will achieve? Posturing for what - posture's sake? Putting pressure on China, why? Why can't they at least try to get along with China?

At best, in this scenario these "well intentioned" pen pushers are dangerously misguided.

At worst, they are corrupt and have something to gain for themselves or their buddies in positions of power throughout the world.

Which is true? Which is worse?
edit on 15-8-2012 by AR154 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The Aussies never thought the Japs would bomb the # out of Darwin in WWII, either. They thought they were safe and secure down in Aussie-land.

I really don't care one way or the other if Australia hosts a carrier strike group. They can just as easily sail from Hawaii, albeit taking a few days longer.

But the fact that the US has held naval training operations with the Philippines (after they booted the US out) and Vietnam (after they won the war) tells me a lot. Some of the nations over there don't like the way China is eyeballing their local neighborhood and the South China sea.

Never imagined in a thousand years that Vietnam would hold joint naval training with the US. First time for everything I guess.
edit on 16-8-2012 by Darkrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro0870

I was thinking "What shoud I write?" to accompany this picture.
But there are no words.

edit on 2-8-2012 by Pedro0870 because: (no reason given)

I have no idea what "Air Force destroyers" are.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

It says public support for the US alliance is at an eight-year high, with “87 per cent of Australians regarding it as important for Australia's security and 74 per cent considering the United States as Australia's most important security partner over the next ten years.

Read more: www.smh.com.au... YvW6DN

OP are you saying that your source is lying about the support for this? What you said is a little confusing in that respect. I am sure there are people that oppose such a thing but the article says 87% are in favor but you say just the opposite. Is that just your opinion based on your age group or something similar? US bases generally bring an influx of money to the areas they are set up at. Many countries rely on the money the bases bring to their countries.

As far as the assumed fear that a base would paint you as a target I believe you were targets long before that happened. Can you please outline how a US presence there will be negative either financially or militarily with some facts to back that position up? How is this going to be a negative thing exactly?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Did anyone point out that someone or someones in Australia is going to make money off of this? That someone in your government or big business is brokering this deal. Why don't you find out and aim your anger towards your own mates. If your government didn't want it, it wouldn't happen. If there wasn't money in it for them or jobs or something that would result in them being re-elected, they wouldn't do it. Don't be pissed at the buyers....be pissed at the sellers.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by Kryties

OP are you saying that your source is lying about the support for this? What you said is a little confusing in that respect. I am sure there are people that oppose such a thing but the article says 87% are in favor but you say just the opposite. Is that just your opinion based on your age group or something similar?

I really don't know what about my OP was so difficult to understand mate. How on earth can the source state that 87% of Australians are in favour yet 100% of the people I know never answered a survey asking them that (man, woman and children of many age groups - being an adult I mix a lot) and 100% of the people I know also DO NOT favour it. Also, judging by the majority of Aussies that replied in this thread alone, who also do not favour it, I think we can confidently say that the source is talking out of its rear end, so to speak.

US bases generally bring an influx of money to the areas they are set up at. Many countries rely on the money the bases bring to their countries.

Source? Not only for the general statement but also in direct relation to the base my OP discusses....

As far as the assumed fear that a base would paint you as a target I believe you were targets long before that happened. Can you please outline how a US presence there will be negative either financially or militarily with some facts to back that position up? How is this going to be a negative thing exactly?

How about bugger off and stop screwing up our alliance with the Asian countries? We make a ton of money off China buying our minerals, much much much more than a US base in Darwin will bring in.

edit on 16/1/2013 by Kryties because: Fixed iPad autocorrect fail

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

America forces its way in mate, always has, always will. Whether or not someone made money off the deal is just a matter of being smart enough to capitulate and kiss ass.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 1/16/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

OK I get it you are basing your claims off of the people you personally know which is not a reliable way to judge such things. Even if it was based on a question you posed on your Facebook page just how many people are we talking about who hold your same views. I know Australia’s population is much smaller than the US but I doubt you know the majority of those people. I will take it that your opinion on the numbers who are for and against such an installation is just your opinion and nothing more. I had hoped you could provide something of factual nature to prove your assertions however I see that you never intended that statement as factual at all. It was just your opinion. At least you cleared that up.

How about bugger off and stop screwing up our alliance with the Asian countries? We make a ton of money off China buying our minerals, much much much more than a US base in Darwin will bring in.

How friendly you are.

I have read through the entire thread but I haven’t seen where you have provided much in the way of factual information with anything to back it up. I have seen a few of your countrymen disagree with you on the subject of the 87% you may want to consider that your opinion on that matter isn’t grounded firmly in reality. Can you provide any polls which oppose the other poll. Just because you were not asked doesn’t mean very much. I doubt that they will poll every single person in your country on the matter. Maybe they tried by phone but you were not available.

I asked these questions with the hopes you could have some reasonable answers and you say bugger off.

I think it is great that you have an opinion on the matter but to me it seemed as if you were trying to offer your opinion as fact. I didn’t realize it was not your intention. Your opinion is noted on the matter.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

What poll are you referring too? There was no poll, the source simply made up the 87%.

And no, I did not tell YOU to bugger off, read it again and comprehend it please. Your continued (in this thread and the other) misinterpretation of what I type is becoming tiresome.

edit on 16/1/2013 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Or they did like they normally do, and polled a few hundred people, and extrapolated the results from that sampling.

Here's a good article on how polling works.
people.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Perhaps, but the results are skewed terribly IMHO if that is the case.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
By the way, I should probably point out again, as was posted earlier in the thread, that the Australian Government has ruled out a base in Darwin.

Thank the stars some people in our government have some sense about them.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

The number came from your own quoted text.

Can you prove that number was made up. That is what I have been asking. Your circle of friends is not a scientific poll. As I stated you have some people in your own thread who are Aussies that said they are for it. So even the replies within your own thread have shown some support.

My personal opinion on US force projection is along the lines of we should pull out of the world except for those areas where we are most definitely wanted and that are not comprised of US haters Place like S Korea and Japan have made it clear we are wanted and needed. We should also withdraw from the UN. Any future conflicts where our presence is requested should only be addressed if they are willing to pay the US for our protection. I am tired of the US being blamed and the US paying for other countries protection with our money, resources, and blood.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

At least some US forces will be pulling out of S. Korea in the next few years, as South Korea takes over the military role on the peninsula. We'll still have some forces there, and some intel units helping until the ROKAF has the ability to handle the mission (they're trying to buy Global Hawks), but most of the US forces from what I understand will come home, or redeploy.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by Kryties

Can you prove that number was made up.

Can you prove it wasn't? I'll bet my right testicle you can't.

where we are most definitely wanted and that are not comprised of US haters Place like S Korea and Japan have made it clear we are wanted and needed.

Source?

Oh and
at the "US Hater" punchline. I wondered when you were going to sink that low.

We should also withdraw from the UN. Any future conflicts where our presence is requested should only be addressed if they are willing to pay the US for our protection. I am tired of the US being blamed and the US paying for other countries protection with our money, resources, and blood.

Good. Please do that. I guarantee you'll be waiting an eternity for anyone to request your help in the future......

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I don’t mind S Korea the people there were real nice and glad to have us there. IMO I do not see where we will ever be able to pull all our forces out. Up on the DMZ the N Koreans were constantly trying to infiltrate.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

So your saying your source is your opinion?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join