It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harrassing phone calls.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Does anyone here have a problem with this?

We still have a landline phone connection, why? I don't know, but unfortunate I'm not the one who pays the bills or ordered it installed, if it were me they could uninstall it, because since we moved and got a new number, we receive nothing but hang-up phone calls or when the time is right the bill collectors for people we don't know, Humphrey L., Jeffrey M. ,Ernesia W, ,the list goes on and on.

Today is a particularly rough day at 1p.m. two hang-ups within 15 min, of each other at 2:00 two hang-ups within 5 minutes of each other. Now I guess their at lunch or something they haven't called again, wait until supper and evening when regular people l.ike to relax.

Last year I sent out a cease and disist letter for the companies who were stupid enough to leave their names. this year however, it has started up again and they're not to the point where they leave a number yet.
Unfortunate that I know these bill collecting companies, sell their lists to each other and the calls beging again.

Anyone have a problem with this and how did you handle it, seems they don't like/or believe they have a wrong number. Just wondering...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Add an answering machine, turn off the ringer.

Des

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I got rid of my land line, just have a cell phone, unlisted don't give it out to anyone.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

theres a site called trap call.com cheap to sign up and it works

check it out

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

See if your local telco offers a service like Privacy Manager.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Today is a particularly rough day...

...at 1p.m. two hang-ups within 15 min, of each other at 2:00 two hang-ups within 5 minutes of each other. Now I guess their at lunch or something they haven't called again, wait until supper and evening when regular people l.ike to relax.

Yep, you sure got it rough...between the 4 phone calls and waiting for supper, daily, your life must be hell.

Outstanding rant...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Over run with PPI ones at the minute, I just hang up as soon as the automated voice starts....

Where are you from? I am from the UK and about 7 years ago approx, I started receiving silent phone calls and hang up's probably about 4-5 a day, I phoned the police and they gave me a number to punch in as soon as they had hung up, After about 7 times the phone call's stopped as the police had blocked the number from being able to connect to my number.

Funnily enough, My Son's fathers new wife complained that i had put a block on her number......

Didn't take long to figure out she was a nut job

edit on 31-7-2012 by ladylove because: Edit, After about 7 days even.Not 7 times... They monitor it then if the number is the same number they will block it

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I've definately experienced this with new phone numbers. It seems as if they recycle the number just as soon as someone cancels their phone service. Maybe if they waited a year or so before using the number again we wouldn't have this problem.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Land lines are important to have during emergencies. During power outages your cell usually goes out and of course cordless phones go out, but not corded land lines. They are and will be your best friend during an emergency.

During 9/11, I wasn't able to get through using my cell phone to another cell phone, but with my land line to the same cell it went through. Even tried calling another landline from my cell and it wouldn't go through, that is until I used my own land line.

Yeah, seriously, don't get rid of your land line because "it isn't cool to have one," or whatever. There's gonna be an emergency at some point where you will wish you never got rid of it.

I had this conversation with 2 of my friends and they got rid of their land lines. During a power outage their cordless phones didnt work and they couldn't get through using their cell. This was the time they needed that land line because they needed to call for an ambulance. Unfortunately their grandpa died because they couldn't call out during a power outage.

My other friend, got rid of her land corded phone, then had a feeling she better get it back. A few weeks later their house was struck by lightning --the cell phones didnt work and either did the cordless, but they had the land line back a few weeks earlier and were able to call the fire department.

As for harassing calls, get your number on the Do Not Call list. be patient as it takes a few weeks. Also, get Caller ID. Yes, the ID doesn't work on many of the solicitors, but it will work on some.

Once you get the Caller ID, just don't answer the phone if the number is blocked or you don't recognize it. Calls being made by a computer will remove your number if they don't receive an answer over a period of about a month.

The ones who call and don't say anything...they could be doing a couple things. They could be from a company that is compiling "Active Phone Number Lists." If they call and someone answers, this then becomes an active number. It goes on a list of other active numbers which will be sold to advertisers. Active lists get premium dollar from advertisers because they're "real" phone numbers that lead to "real" people.

Also, if they call and don't say anything: It could be a computer compiling a Voice File for your number.

If you need more answers, let me know. But the smartest thing would be to get Caller ID and do not answer if you dont recognize who it is. If it's someone important, they'll leave a message on your message machine. If you don't have one, buy one at Walmart --$15.00 and it'll save you ALOT of frustration.

By the way, if you don't know who it is, DO NOT give out ANY personal information even if they seem harmless, because they're not. Just don't answer it.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Get a REALLY loud whistle.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Damn...why didn't I think of that....

Des

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by intrepid

Damn...why didn't I think of that....

Des

Because you're nice and I'm nasty.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Sometimes I just pick up and say "they died, quit calling"...or you could use this..it worked for me one time...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! That one is totally awesome!!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladylove

Over run with PPI ones at the minute, I just hang up as soon as the automated voice starts....

Where are you from? I am from the UK and about 7 years ago approx, I started receiving silent phone calls and hang up's probably about 4-5 a day, I phoned the police and they gave me a number to punch in as soon as they had hung up, After about 7 times the phone call's stopped as the police had blocked the number from being able to connect to my number.

Funnily enough, My Son's fathers new wife complained that i had put a block on her number......

Didn't take long to figure out she was a nut job

edit on 31-7-2012 by ladylove because: Edit, After about 7 days even.Not 7 times... They monitor it then if the number is the same number they will block it

Yeah, those freakin' PPI calls! I'm not the only one getting harassed and bombarded with text messages about some PPI thing daily. I'm going to change my number when buying the next phone.

Actually, what I might start doing is trace the people doing this, then very publicly out them.
edit on 31-7-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Good idea, I thought about that once before when they were asking for Humphrey L Jeffrey M, and Ernestia W. Sophie C, yada yada yada last year, this year we got for Humphrey L again and Sophie C so far, the rest are hang ups ,forgot about it, because I was upset about it starting up again. The cease and desist letters seemed to work for awhile, and I mistakenly thought they had removed the names and numbers from their lists, before reselling them. How about the kind they use to chase off muggers?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OneNationUnder

I agree with you. I needed a phone, I went with a landline over a cell.

The cells are always the first to go.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ladylove

I live in Florida.That's a good idea too, I don't know if our police would do anything about unless they're threatening, or lewd though. I get these calls on a regular basis some times over a period of 8 hours and on Saturday and Sunday, too. Last night had one at 10:00 pm and the week prior at 7:50 am.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Thanks for the info, there is one call that comes through we do have an answering machine, what it does is hang up before it gets to the beep part and it does this 3 or 4 times a day. Any idea on what that is? Is there anyway to get the phone company to do something, we live in an older apartment building and don't have enough electrical outlets to do too much of anything. Have quite a few extension chords and don't wish to overload them, and have one outlet for the landline.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Thanks for the info, there is one call that comes through we do have an answering machine, what it does is hang up before it gets to the beep part and it does this 3 or 4 times a day. Any idea on what that is? Is there anyway to get the phone company to do something, we live in an older apartment building and don't have enough electrical outlets to do too much of anything. Have quite a few extension chords and don't wish to overload them, and have one outlet for the landline.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join