It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloned horses allowed to participate in 2016 Olympics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
sports.yahoo.com...

Americans don't care much for polo, but the success of Meeker and Cambiaso's cloning venture may have huge implications for what was once one of the most popular sports in America – horse racing. There has been a subtle shift in perception of cloned horses worldwide, underscored last week when Federation Equestre Internationale (FEI), the international equestrian governing body, reversed an earlier ban on clones in competition.

Though it's too late for any cloned horses to be entered in the London Games, clones will be allowed to participate in the Olympics beginning in 2016. The FEI's decision is based on the belief that clones are not 100 percent identical and also that the rider and environment make a difference in a horse's performance.

If I understand this article correctly, each cloned horse wont be the exact same as the original, because it will be brought up in a different environment.

Should cloned horses be allowed to compete in the Olympics? Im not really sure yet. Yes they are a clone, but they are also trained/brought up in a different environment. Im still 50-50.

Another thought on my mind - I believe in cloning for organ transplants, health, ect.... but cloning for sport?.....Im not sure if I personally agree with that.
edit on 31-7-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

If I understand this article correctly, each cloned horse wont be the exact same as the original, because it will be brought up in a different environment.

Should cloned horses be allowed to compete in the Olympics? Im not really sure yet. Yes they are a clone, but they are also trained/brought up in a different environment. Im still 50-50.

Another thought on my mind - I believe in cloning for organ transplants, health, ect.... but cloning for sport?.....Im not sure if I personally agree with that.

But what if you could clone Mila Kunis or Pamela Anderson (without the bugs and STD's of course) for sport ;-) I'd be up on that LOL

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
How long before cloning leads to a little genetic tweaking while they're in there anyway. While it's all just laid out and handy in the first stage, why not make it stronger by pure genetic trait. Perhaps sharper vision would be better? Some advantage that wouldn't be as obvious as over-developed muscles. Some of the things being done in genetic experimentation on animals is incredible. Glow in the dark cats come to mind as one that almost passed for cute until one thought of what caused it.

Race 'em how God made 'em, for lack of a better way to put it. Cloning and genetic science just doesn't have a place in competitive sports of any kind, in my personal opinion. The motivation to win already has nations like China training their people like slave drivers. Oh, temptation to tinker at this level while cloning anyway would just be over the top wouldn't it?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Yep, they've being doing it for years.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

Originally posted by buni11687

But what if you could clone Mila Kunis or Pamela Anderson (without the bugs and STD's of course) for sport ;-) I'd be up on that LOL

Cheers - Dave

I don't know how you could put those two women in the same boat. Anderson is an inflatable pool toy with no personality and boring generic looks, Mila Kunis is stunning, bi-lingual, and is actually a good actress. For shame.

On topic. I hear people say that genetic manipulation is essentially selective breeding, but it still seems wrong to me. I suppose it's not all that different from taking two exceptional runners and having a baby pop out. I don't like it though.

Imagine the Olympics if everyone were a clone, bred perfectly to compete. How boring would that be?

ANNOUNCER: 'Everyone is in a dead heat! Look at that Frank, they all crossed the finish line at the exact same time!' Yawn.

Also, look at Michael Phelps. I know he was the golden boy for awhile and isn't doing so hot anymore, but if that disgusting face is required for gold medals I think I would rather have my horse and kids be sub par.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

On topic. I hear people say that genetic manipulation is essentially selective breeding, but it still seems wrong to me. I suppose it's not all that different from taking two exceptional runners and having a baby pop out. I don't like it though.

I certainly agree it's wrong. Selective breeding. Hmm.. Yes.. I believe I've heard that term before. A few years back a guy with a funny mustache thought Blond Hair and Blue Eyes were the traits to breed for. Perhaps some people have been right all along and the guys that thought that crap up never have gone away. They just faded back and got quiet while learning to be subtle.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I can't decide whether I'm for or against cloning, though I'm leaning towards against.
However, I don't see anything wrong with letting the horses race. The may have been sprung from cloning, but they are just horses, after all.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Aw c'mon. Don't you want to see centaurs and unicorns compete in the Olympics? I'd buy a ticket.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Bout time.

Wait till they clone the 92 "Dream Team",
&
Jessie Owens.

Look out World !!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by abdel
Aw c'mon. Don't you want to see centaurs and unicorns compete in the Olympics? I'd buy a ticket.

I'd sure pay for a good view of the 'Running of the Unicorns' instead of the 'Running of the Bulls'. Those Unicorns would bring all new meaning to getting screwed.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

No! No! A thousand times no! Clones are soulless abominations! It will be no better than riding a robot! A robot made of flesh! An ABOMINATION!!

This is a slippery slope. Where will it end? They'll be cloning cars for NASCAR next!

!

edit on 31/7/12 by Astyanax because: I was a few cubic inches short of the full engine block.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

wow just wow the breeding programs in horse related sports are big money,I can imagine how this will change it.Blood lines are everything in fact there is more money in breeding than the sport itself.How long have they been cloning horses?

Cloning Secretariate or Seattle Slew anyone?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Why wouldn't they?
They have the same rights you have, you insensitive clod!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
good find.

i personally dont think "sport" is reason enough either. but if it helps techniques get better and expands our knowledge to help humankind... well, i cant say i mind that.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I disagree strongly with the entire thing, Being a horse and cattle guy myself, its wrong in so many way. Any Clone shouldn't be able to compete period. Nor should they be able to Register them, Which they can.

Folks were headed in a direction were not meant to venture. I myself am glad i am though most of my life, Perhaps I'll leave this earth before the worst is to come.

Call me old fashioned. I've had and lost many of fine horses throughout my life, I certainly wouldn't wish to clone them just to get them back, or to capitalize on their talents for personal gain.

And that's exactly what i see happening, Obviously the horse people cloning and competing are only in it for one thing and one thing only, It has nothing to do with their love for horses.

top topics

join