It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Matthew 10:34-38 becomes a disturbing reality when you begin following Jesus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I use bible Gateway too online, here...

Open 3 tabs. The "NIV Test" in one tab, the NIV translation in another tab, and the KJV in the third tab.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

SDA's are in an uproar over these kinds of things, i did watch something from Walter Veith about the "battle of the bibles" and he cited the NIV a few times.

Walter Veith does not represent SDA's or the SDA Church and no one I know, with one exception, gets "in an uproar" about Bible versions.
The church has historically been in favor of using the best versions available. Some individual church members are King James fans but it is something they come up with on their own.
edit on 31-7-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Irenaeus was pretty clear about what they were doing with the texts at Alexandria.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
He may have been talking about people's translation of the Greek text into Latin, for all we know.
Do you have a quote from Irenaeus?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

He wrote Against Heresies and attacked the Gnostic mutilation of scripture while he was a bishop in Turkey/Asia Minor. And it's the same today, the TV,TS, and TA mss are still mutilated. Quite a number of passages are expurgated from the text.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

And Jesus is supposed to be "The Prince of Peace", and yet he wants to turn everyone against each other.

So if you don't join this "Christianity" thing, then you are will be "set against" your own family members. Sounds like a cult to me... eating the flesh and drinking the blood of Jesus every Sunday....

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

. . . the TV,TS, and TA mss are still mutilated.

I think you needn't be too worried about that because the biblical text scholars are not stupid or evil and they have figured as much out.
As evidence, in the rather recently published commentary on Romans in the Hermeneia series, it points exactly that out in the introduction, that those texts do not carry the same weight today as they did in the time of Westcott and Hort (and neither do they).

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

True, but there are still millions of people who use and quote from versions that rely heavily on the W&H text. Your average Christian doesn't check these sorts of things before settling on a Bible, they just pick one that's easiest to read.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Thanks for all your support! I'll make a general response, didn't expect this much replies!

I'm not that strong Christian yet. Still seeking for more knowledge and having no family of my own seems to make a radical Christian life a lot more possible. Those who have their own family to take care of and chose to follow Jesus are the ones truly commendable! I've read the Bible whole already, now I'm reading again, and also including 'non-canon' books in my studies. I also don't trust the 'canon Bible'. Why would the canon include Paul's writings which are full of confusion, contradicts Jesus teachings and also himself! There are many Old Testament teachings (material prosperity) which also goes against Jesus teachings of life of austerity.

I'm ministering to my parents. Close relatives are the easiest people to minister to. Street preaching on that level would probably kill me! But we must strive for this at some point.

The biggest irony is the fact my parents are Christians. It makes me sad to think what bro John Piper told that false Christian doctrine inoculates people from the truth maybe true!

I'd like to part with a verse 2 Timothy 4:4 (KJB)

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables

If following Jesus is the Truth, then following Jesus and be IN THE "WORLD" (the corrupt world economic system) at the same time is the Fable. You can't serve two masters.

Not saying that you should quit your job now. But if you have a job and knowing where that dirty money comes from, it's according to your conscience to return it where it came from. Not to your boss!! But to the poorest working classes and Nature which is where the money and world economy is being farmed from. Get only what you need in a life of austerity, give the rest back. Could you still live in comfort with the idea that your income is ultimately generated from cheap hard labor somewhere down the line?? This is how the modern economy now works in addition to wanton exploitation of Nature for resources which leads to much suffering of plants and animals.

Jesus is not masochist hell bent on teaching self-denial. His teachings is a way to end exploitation of others (nature and poor people) for our good which our evil world system is modeled.

I apologize for revealing the truth and God Bless!
edit on 31-7-2012 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Your post was beautiful.

Thank you, I needed to hear that this morning.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by ahnggk

And Jesus is supposed to be "The Prince of Peace", and yet he wants to turn everyone against each other.

So if you don't join this "Christianity" thing, then you are will be "set against" your own family members. Sounds like a cult to me... eating the flesh and drinking the blood of Jesus every Sunday....

As i said before, he came to cleave the wicked from the righteous. Believing in him didn't set the early believers against their family, it set their family against them because they would turn them in to be executed, tortured or jailed for apostacy. He is the Prince of Peace and his teachings attest to this, i'd suggest you start reading those in Matthew chapter 5.

We do not eat his flesh and blood every sunday, nor do we eat it at all. Communion is a symbolic representation of his body being broken and abused for our transgressions against God, his blood being shed to cover us from his judgement. The catholics take this too far and do transubstantiation which is sorcery because they actually believe they are eating his flesh and drinking his blood which consumption of blood or things with blood in it is forbidden to us. He purchased us with his blood and we are no longer gentiles, but messianic jews, adopted into the House of Israel and Judah through him.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
reply to post by ahnggk

Yeah, I fail to understand that too.
"He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad." (Matthew 12:30 KJV)

"And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us." (Luke 9:50 KJV)

Those two verses right there says it all, either you join the Cult of Jesus, or you go straight to Hell. Two distinct polarities. The Jesus Cults have evolved from Ancient Times, I believe they were once a Mushroom Cult.

Jesus as a symbol of the mushroom

Jesus is portrayed as the Son of God, sent to fulfil the role of Messiah or 'Anointed One' - literally, 'one smeared with semen'. As a mushroom, the amanita muscaria does not disseminate seeds as plants do, but ejaculates microscopic spores which create a threadlike fungal network at the base of conifer trees from which thunderstorms elicit more mushrooms. Prior to knowledge of spores, lightning was thought to be the source of mushrooms and lightning was considered the fiery progenitive spears of God, hence the phallic fungi were called 'Sons of God'.

The mushroom's spore ejaculate leaves an oily film on the blood-red cap spotted with white thorns, hence the term 'Messiah' ('Anointed One') and allusions to thistle-entwined, bloody-browed sacrifices, such as the miraculous 'Ram' of Abraham (Genesis 22:13) and Jesus the thorn-crowned 'Lamb of God'.

'Mushrooms were also seen as "winged" creatures, or crowned by a cloudy cap or "halo", each carrying a "message" from God'

Mushrooms were also seen as 'winged' creatures, or crowned by a cloudy cap or 'halo', each carrying a 'message' from God, the very definition of an 'Angel'. Some mushrooms were 'good' or nutritious, some were 'evil' or poisonous, but amanita muscaria was considered 'blessed' and capable of bestowing health, strength, inspiration and the power of prognostication.

Ingestion of the amanita muscaria can revive the deathly ill and enables people to perform unusual feats of strength. The Gnostics used the mushroom to access 'gnosis' or 'sacred knowledge' and become privy to seeing the 'Kingdom at hand.'

The experience can also result in a very deep sleep, giving the appearance that the partaker has died, only to be 'resurrected' as the effect wears off. The decaying mushroom smells like rotting flesh thus attracting flies, hence another term for the mushroom, 'fly agaric'. Flies seem to die on contact with the mushroom, but if observed for a period of about 12 hours, however, the insects experience 'resurrection' and fly away.

As John Allegro points out, the 'Cross' is merely the cuneiform symbol of the mushroom, just as the 'Asclepius', or snake-entwined staff topped by a winged disc found on nearly all medical facilities, is also just an ancient symbol of the mushroom.
source
(More Jesus/drug associations at website)

Jesus Cult Conspiracy Theories

Soma, Divine Mushroom of Immortality
Too much there to ignore.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Jesus is your shepherd and you are the sheep. Hell is the sheep dog, the constant threat that keeps the sheep in formation and keeps them manipulated.
edit on 31-7-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Jesus is your shepherd and you are the sheep. Hell is the sheep dog, the constant threat that keeps the sheep in formation and keeps them manipulated.
edit on 31-7-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

I thought we went over this three days ago? Christians don't fear Hell, the gospel is that Christ died to redeem us from Hell. There is no condemnation for anyone in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

That's what you keep telling yourself but you know that you don't want to go to hell. Why do you believe in Jesus? Because you want to go to heaven, which means you don't want to go to hell. Why don't you want to go to hell? Because it's a scary place where you suffer in agony for eternity. Who isn't afraid of something like that? I know I'm afraid to suffer for eternity, yet I still don't believe in it.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
God is our provider, we do not ever have to worry about a thing because Jesus will never fail us. We are his sheep and he feeds us. Just listen to his voice.

Tell that to third world Christians or anyone struggling. What happened to getting off your two feet and getting things done. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps etc.

Those are honorable things and are observable reality. Can't have it both ways.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
what if bible is wrong.....and there is no god....and jesus was just a human......nothing else

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

That's what you keep telling yourself but you know that you don't want to go to hell. Why do you believe in Jesus? Because you want to go to heaven, which means you don't want to go to hell. Why don't you want to go to hell? Because it's a scary place where you suffer in agony for eternity. Who isn't afraid of something like that? I know I'm afraid to suffer for eternity, yet I still don't believe in it.

I want to spend eternity with Jesus for who He is and what He has already done for me.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I would like to throw my 2 cents in, and i hope you all listen.

We can all agree that god or the concept of god is Light (jehovah means Light)

This most of humanities religions got right, however, then human nature took over, and created a control system.

And we get the concept that Darkness is Satan, a shadow, another polarity that can tempt us.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as evil, there is no such thing as an outside temptation making us do supposed evil things, Its all you, you are 100% in control, you are doing every thing that happens to you.

Now ill put it in a nice analogy that makes sense (Human language is very constrictive when trying to explain this),
"You walk into a room and turn on the light, now supposed you want to experience the darkness, you woudnt go looking for another darkness switch, you would go turn off the light"

So yes, you can become out of alignment and force the light (god for Christians) out and therefore be lost, angry and frustrated and start doing self destructive actions, however there was no force tempting you to the darkness, you decided one way or another to dim the light.

Therefore this whole discussion of devout worship of someone is bewildering to me, as worship of another person cannot bring you closer to anything. Its the idea of love that you are supposed to be 100% devout to, let the light fill you up so much, that it spills over to your peers, everyone seemed to miss that simple message, but then again the church didn't make it easy to decipher.

Namaste
edit on 31/7/12 by WiseThinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

Jehovah is not the Hebrew word for light. That would be "Or". Or in the sense of light as in not something heavy would be the Hebrew word "Kal".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join