It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney is coming for your guns!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Mitt Romney recently talked about hunting with his friends.

www.outdoorlife.com...

Earlier this year Romney made a strange comment about his hunting experience, perhaps, illustrating his inexperience: "I'm not a big-game hunter. I've made that very clear," he said. "I've always been a rodent and rabbit hunter. Small varmints, if you will. I began when I was 15 or so and I have hunted those kinds of varmints since then. More than two times."

So why did Mitt only hunt rats? Because its against his religion to hunt anything else.

All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth; And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger (Doctrine & Covenants 89:4-15).
In the phrase, And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger, the pronoun, these, refers to its immediate antecedent, wild animals. Thus it is acceptable to the Lord to hunt game, or wild animals, only to be used for food in times of famine or excess of hunger.
Now, what do those who represent the Lord as prophets, seers and revelators have to say on the subject? From President Spencer W. Kimball—
“Now, I also would like to add some of my feelings concerning the unnecessary shedding of blood and destruction of life. I think that every soul should be impressed by the sentiments that have been expressed here by the prophets. And not less with reference to the killing of innocent birds is the wildlife of our country that live upon the vermin that are indeed enemies to the farmer and to mankind. It is not only wicked to destroy them, it is a shame, in my opinion. I think that this principle should extend not only to the bird life but to the life of all animals” (President Spencer W. Kimball, Fundamental Principles to Ponder and Live, Ensign (CR), November 1978, p.43).
From George Q. Cannon, who was sustained as a Counselor to President Brigham Young, and who was also sustained as the First Counselor to Presidents John Taylor, Wilford Woodruff and Lorenzo Snow—
“We should by every means in our power impress upon the rising generation the value of life and how dreadful a sin it is to take life. The lives of animals even should be held far more sacred than they are. Young people should be taught to be very merciful to the brute creation and not to take life wantonly or for sport. The practice of hunting and killing game merely for sport should be frowned upon and not encouraged among us. God has created the fowls and the beasts for man’s convenience and comfort and for his consumption at proper times and under proper circumstances; but he does not justify men in wantonly killing those creatures which He has made and with which He has supplied the earth” (George Q. Cannon, Gospel Truth: Discourses and Writings of President George Q. Cannon, selected, arranged, and edited by Jerreld L. Newquist, p.24).
From President Joseph Fielding Smith—
“I never could see why a man should be imbued with a blood-thirsty desire to kill and destroy animal life. I have known men-and they still exist among us-who enjoy what is, to them, the “sport” of hunting birds and slaying them by the hundreds, and who will come in after a day’s sport, boasting of how many harmless birds they have had the skill to slaughter, and day after day, during the season when it is lawful for men to hunt and kill (the birds having had a season of protection and not apprehending danger) go out by scores or hundreds, and you may hear their guns early in the morning on the day of the opening, as if great armies had met in battle; and the terrible work of slaughtering the innocent birds goes on” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, vol 4, p.45).

Does the Mormon Church have a stance on hunting? If so, where do the Church leaders talk about this?
www.askgramps.org...

So the days of hunting anything larger than a rat will end. For the golden book of a conman has said so. And when a time of guidance is needed for Romney like the Colorado killings he will turn to his church for guidance and they will say only rats and rabbits should be killed and he will take your guns that are to large for this small task. He will ban anything larger than a 22. He will set in on your bullet proof jackets. He will set forth with a wrath on gun owners. For he is the Whitehorse in his eyes.

The Constitution Hanging by a Thread and the “White Horse Prophecy”
www.latterdayconservative.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

What about Luke 22:36 where "He said to them...go and sell your garment and buy a sword."???

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Are you really going to argue with the teachings of the Mormon elders listed above?

Heres the book of Mormons.
www.lds.org...

That is what Romney will go by.
edit on 27-7-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I think that I would rather argue the proposition that Romney will ban all hunting. Do you think he will make every citizen follow every tenet of his church's teachings? If not, why do you think he will with this one?

Seems like a big stretch to me. Have you got Romney saying anything like that?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Are you really going to argue with the teachings of the Mormon elders listed above?

Heres the book of Mormons.
www.lds.org...

That is what Romney will go by.

Hmmm...

“I never could see why a man should be imbued with a blood-thirsty desire to kill and destroy animal life. I have known men-and they still exist among us-who enjoy what is, to them, the “sport” of hunting birds and slaying them by the hundreds, and who will come in after a day’s sport, boasting of how many harmless birds they have had the skill to slaughter, and day after day, during the season when it is lawful for men to hunt and kill (the birds having had a season of protection and not apprehending danger) go out by scores or hundreds, and you may hear their guns early in the morning on the day of the opening, as if great armies had met in battle; and the terrible work of slaughtering the innocent birds goes on” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, vol 4, p.45)

who is Joseph Fielding Smith?

Joseph Fielding Smith, Jr. (19 July 1876 – 2 July 1972) was the tenth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1970 until his death. He was the son of Joseph F. Smith, who was the sixth president of the LDS Church. His grandfather was Hyrum Smith, brother of LDS Church founder Joseph Smith, Jr., who was Joseph Fielding's great-uncle.

en.wikipedia.org...

I'd say it would be reasonable for people to go by what these individuals had to say...

That is, reasonable for what is encompassed under religion I suppose lol. I also had no idea that there is a kind of genetic lineage that carried control over the church... I wonder how much money they've made?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Romney already said the guns the Colorado shooter had were illegal. In his mind they should of been. What do you think he will do when he is called on to do something if theres another shooting? Ban the guns he thinks are not needed for hunting a rat. The little ones.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
When I lived in Utah my neighbor (LDS) and I would hunt and we'd share wht we shot. Elk mainly.
(have your butcher mix elk with bacon, grind, makes the BEST burgers!)

We also both chipped in and bought a a full side from a local rancher. Kept us all in steaks for months.

LDS are just regular folks. Most (in my experience) much nicer than secular folks.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Young people should be taught to be very merciful to the brute creation and not to take life wantonly or for sport.

Heaven forbid that people would actually value life instead of just claiming that they do for show.
No wonder Republicans don't like him.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
you really think - so,
I dont - I think they got less than 6 months to give our country back -
they just started shooting civilians with rubber bullets in Anihiem. when those turn real - your going
to see every gun in the nation is open carry - locked and loaded. because when the law is the criminals
you cant call a cop any longer - so what you gonna do ?> you call smith and wesson.

I had to research several countries and their declines - mostly in south america, and I see the same stuff.
the only problem is - we can fight back - and the only reason we haven't yet - is food stamps and unemployment - when those go - so goes law and order. so, I dont know what to tell you to do - you got notice the TSA is above the law. and NDAA, Patriot ACT I and II.... not much left to do except start shooting and let the to games begin. because if you wait for them you waited to long. they will just take you to extermination camp. might as well make your life count... its WWII Nazi's and they dont have any new tricks. just a bunch of new toys.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

This quote sounds like he was the president of Peta not the president of the Mormons.

“I never could see why a man should be imbued with a blood-thirsty desire to kill and destroy animal life. I have known men-and they still exist among us-who enjoy what is, to them, the “sport” of hunting birds and slaying them by the hundreds, and who will come in after a day’s sport, boasting of how many harmless birds they have had the skill to slaughter, and day after day, during the season when it is lawful for men to hunt and kill (the birds having had a season of protection and not apprehending danger) go out by scores or hundreds, and you may hear their guns early in the morning on the day of the opening, as if great armies had met in battle; and the terrible work of slaughtering the innocent birds goes on”

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 1BornPatriot

Patriot Act was Bush. The TSA was Bush. Bush's grandfather funded the Nazis.
Who do you think Romney's advisors are? The same as Bush.
And Romney will come for your guns he already thinks they are illegal. He just has to wait til he gets in the White House and he sign the law.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Dear JBA2848,

There is some dispute over whether Romney was referring to the guns, or the explosive devices and booby traps found in the apartment.

It's just me, but I think guns will be a little safer under Romney.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

www.iberkshires.com...

Governor Mitt Romney has signed into law a permanent assault weapons ban that he says will make it harder for criminals to get their hands on these guns.

"Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts," Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony on July 1 with legislators, sportsmen's groups and gun safety advocates. "These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people."

Like the federal assault weapons ban, the state ban, put in place in 1998, was scheduled to expire in September. The new law ensures these deadly weapons, including AK-47s, UZIs and Mac-10 rifles, are permanently prohibited in Massachusetts no matter what happens on the federal level.

"We are pleased to mark an important victory in the fight against crime," said Lieutenant Governor Kerry Healey. "The most important job of state government is ensuring public safety. Governor Romney and I are determined to do whatever it takes to stop the flood of dangerous weapons into our cities and towns and to make Massachusetts safer for law-abiding citizens."

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Dear JBA2848,

I can understand selective editing. I ty to avoid it myself, but to each his own. Some other things taken from your iberkshires source include:

• Extending the term of a firearm identification card and a license to carry firearms from four years to six years;

• Granting a 90-day grace period for holders of firearm identification cards and licenses to carry who have applied for renewal; and

• Creating a seven-member Firearm License Review Board to review firearm license applications that have been denied.

"This is truly a great day for Massachusetts' sportsmen and women," said Senator Stephen M. Brewer. "These reforms correct some serious mistakes that were made during the gun debate in 1998, when many of our state's gun owners were stripped of their long-standing rights to own firearms. I applaud Senate President Travaglini for allowing the Senate to undertake this necessary legislation."

"I want to congratulate everyone that has worked so hard on this issue," said Representative George Peterson. "Because of their dedication, we are here today to sign into law this consensus piece of legislation. This change will go a long way toward fixing the flaws created by the 1998 law.

I think that creates a rather different impression.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
While i know you can't always trust what a politician says, here's what his official position is:

Like the majority of Americans, Mitt does not believe that the United States needs additional laws that restrict the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. He believes in the safe and responsible ownership and use of firearms and the right to lawfully manufacture and sell firearms and ammunition. He also recognizes the extraordinary number of jobs and other economic benefits that are produced by hunting, recreational shooting, and the firearms and ammunition industry, not the least of which is to fund wildlife and habitat conservation.

As governor of Massachusetts, Mitt was proud to support legislation that expanded the rights of gun owners. He worked hard to advance the ability of law-abiding citizens to purchase and own firearms, while opposing liberal desires to create bureaucracy intended to burden gun owners and sportsmen. As governor, he also designated May 7th as “The Right to Bear Arms Day” in Massachusetts to honor law-abiding citizens and their right to “use firearms in defense of their families, persons, and property for all lawful purposes, including common defense.”

As president, Mitt will work to expand and enhance access and opportunities for Americans to hunt, shoot, and protect their families, homes and property, and he will fight the battle on all fronts to protect and promote the Second Amendment.

www.mittromney.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
This is an odd thread and I'm not quite seeing the connection from headline to OP but I do know this about Mittens, whether I like the idea of President Romney or not.

Mormons DO have a core value this nation could use more of, if his faith would carry over in any way. Self Reliance. Not Government or outside need but within the family and then larger community. They believe in what most people would call long term stocking of all a family might need. Food, sundries, everything.

There are aspects of the Mormons I find wacky as anything else. There are aspects I find pretty darn logical too. It is a 100% American religion anyway and we could do a lot worse. (The American reference can carry across others... Kennedy was suggested to be bringing the Pope into the Oval Office by some opponents...)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

What about Luke 22:36 where "He said to them...go and sell your garment and buy a sword."???

Well now because if they followed that, they might have to follow this one as well.

Galatians 1:8

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!

They would of had to go after their own prophet, as that is what he claimed, that the angel moroni gave the golden tablets to him...

They hold the bible to be a "flawed" book, inspired but corrupted, probably so they can forget things like Galatians, also the many verses in the OT that say what to do with False prophets...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I didn't know, or had forgotten, this:

The U.N. General Assembly voted in December 2006 to work toward a treaty regulating the growing arms trade, with the U.S. casting a "no" vote. In October 2009, the Obama administration reversed the Bush administration's position and supported an assembly resolution to hold four preparatory meetings and a four-week U.N. conference in 2012 to draft an arms trade treaty.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Mitt Romney is too stupid to take our guns................But Obama isnt..

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by charles1952

Romney already said the guns the Colorado shooter had were illegal. In his mind they should of been. What do you think he will do when he is called on to do something if theres another shooting? Ban the guns he thinks are not needed for hunting a rat. The little ones.

What Romney said was gun control doesn't work, and we should not have more of it. Wish I could give you negative stars.

"I still believe that the Second Amendment is the right course to preserve and defend and don't believe that new laws are going to make a difference in this type of tragedy,"

"Our challenge is not the laws, our challenge is people who, obviously, are distracted from reality and do unthinkable, unimaginable, inexplicable things,"

www.huffingtonpost.com...
Romney doesn't want to take away guns, he wants people to stpo killing each other, which seems consistent with his faith and the Constitution.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join