It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kittens eyes sewn shut in experiment.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Don't know about you guys, and I am sure many will say "oh, its for scientific research", and I don't care. I find this so cruel.

In the study into eye development, five kittens were raised normally for a month before having surgery under general anaesthetic to sew up their eyes for either two or seven days.
Another 11 kittens were raised in total darkness with their mother for between one and 12 weeks and 15 other cats were raised in normal conditions for up to a year.

The whole experiment is done to research a childhood eye condition in humans. The reasons cat's are used, is because they have forward facing eyes like humans.

Article

I find the whole experiment very cruel, and like others in the article suggested, other methods might have been used.

vvv

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Awe how cruel! I want to hug my kitty now.

I was watching a documentary on Netflix last night on dogs. It was showing breeding experiments and I felt bad for the animals. They were breed to be experiments and never feel loved

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
dont tell anonymous aobut this !

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I'm starting to think ATS needs a specific forum for "Look at this news story!! I'm shocked and appalled, aren't you guys too!?" You know, the threads that end up being a place for members to decide what awful things should be done to perpetrators

Maybe call it the "Offensive News" section or something so it's easier to avoid

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
I'm starting to think ATS needs a specific forum for "Look at this news story!! I'm shocked and appalled, aren't you guys too!?" You know, the threads that end up being a place for members to decide what awful things should be done to perpetrators

Mate, I understand your tone, and what you trying to say.

But seriously, some news stories need to be brought to the attention of the masses.

If you don't want to read about it, then please don't. However, thank you for pointing out what many will think anyway.

vvv

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Poor thing. Experiment or not. It's just wrong. Even for scientific research. It's a no wonder scientists turn into crazy lunatics.

I would so adopt that kitten. So adorable, and his face looks pissed and sad. Can't say that I don't blame him.

Humans sck.........
edit on 27-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

ATS needs a specific forum for animals. I think.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: ...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Oh, its for scientific research, I don't care.

Not really, it's messed up. Animals are used like this all the time.......

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Makes me wonder why more people don't go friggen shooting people.

This makes me furious.

God damned science, can kiss my hairy arse.

Words elude me. simple words. I'd rather just vomit.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
oh those poor things...! i dont know how anyone could ever do something like that to such a precious vulnerable little thing

how would they like it if we sewed their eyes shut...?! and i thought with all the new technology coming out today, that they would have found a way to research these things without using innocent creatures...!!

ugh sometimes humanity disgusts me with its appalling lack of compassion....

hope they werent in too much pain

All 31 cats were then anaesthetised and the activity in their brains and eyes was monitored to see how their vision had developed, before they were put down

oh and to make things even more unfair on these poor kittehs they kill them after...!!
f###### disgraceful...

edit on 27-7-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
This is horrible. But there's worse. The US military uses live goats and dismembers them alive for "training purposes ".

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Mate,

I would personally kill and rip the nuts/goolies from any bastard that I ever found mistreating an animal.

No hesitation. No Q;s I would go to jail for it.

Humans are scum that should be eliminated, purged from the Earth.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Let's round these scientists up and put them in a room together with james holmes and see what happens. Label it research.

I thought this was the 21st century, why are we still doing such cruel things to animals?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
You know, you'd think with all this technology we now have scientists wouldn't need to do experiments like this anymore.

They are doing their best to minimalize harm to the cats? Uh, what does 'putting them down' mean then? How about emotional tortue, denying them light?

I have a cat and he is my pal. No one touches my cat and gets away with it!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

ATS needs a specific forum for animals. I think.

I think that's a great idea. Not just cryptozoology but regular old zoology

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
better call Reddit

people love kittens and puppies more than humans

horrible? yes on both counts

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
better call Reddit

people love kittens and puppies more than humans

horrible? yes on both counts

This is the irony...We have cat lovers, dog lovers and all round Animal lovers who get all flustered when somethign happens to an animal, but yet even less people make any sound when people are dying in the thousands through wars. #s crazy. Horrible story never the less.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
All these people in here (and all similar threads), going off about scientific research, yet I wonder how many buy "hypo-allergenic" cosmetics, or how many wear glasses and contacts, or how many take daily medications, or how many have had lasik surgery, etc.

A lot of eye science is done right here near my town and done on Horshoe Crab specimens. Science has taken leaps and bounds of improvements using their compound eyes, and their blood, and it has benefitted humans enormously.

Not to mention, eating Tuna, eating Beef, eating Chicken, etc.

Oh, its kittens, that's terrible.
OK, so a few kittens had their eyes shown shut for a week, how many babies are lying in NICU's right now suffering from some ailment, can't be held by their mothers, living under a UV light for their jaundice, have pic lines running into their temporal artery, and probes on their chest and back, with a facemask over their eyes, and an oxygen mask taped to their face?

My baby lived that way for 3 months! 3 months, under far worse conditions than these kittens! BUT, thank god for science, because he is now a healthy 4 year old that just learned to swim without his floaties! I'd kill 1000 kittens a day with my bare hands to keep my son healthy if that is what it took.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

My baby lived that way for 3 months! 3 months, under far worse conditions than these kittens! BUT, thank god for science, because he is now a healthy 4 year old that just learned to swim without his floaties! I'd kill 1000 kittens a day with my bare hands to keep my son healthy if that is what it took.

Really sorry to hear that mate, and happy to year your son is now healthy.

It is obvious that science has helped humanity in many areas, especially medicine. If there are alternatives,to live animal experiments, like some have mentioned in the article, why not try that though?

There will be, as expected, conflicting views regarding this issue. Some will see animals, especially their pets, as creatures to love and adore, while others might seem them as mere tools, to be used by humans to sustain and advance ourselves. It is a tough conundrum for sure. In your case, it helped your son tremendously, and that is fantastic.

My only hope is that we as humans, don't lose our humanity, because of science.

vvv

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join