It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trillions of DOD money missing. Again?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
This may be old news - if so, I apologize. But it is interesting even if it is.

Today, I was reading a magazine in a waiting room. I can't remember the name of the magazine - some kind of republican-leaning political publication.

The article was in the March, 2012 edition of that magazine.

Apparently, an estimated 2.3 trillion dollars have gone missing. I'm assuming this has already been discussed given that the article was from March.. But I found something I wanted to share.

The article described how that number could be considerably more.. A sign that the government accounting office is in such disarray and the auditing techniques are so out of sync with the DOD in general that this kind of thing should never have happened.. The article used some pretty brash language - saying things like, now I'm paraphrasing - "If this had happened to a company the board of directors would be out on their ear and the shareholders would be demanding new leadership".

I'm sure most of us probably couldn't agree more with that statement.

Some people have argued that alot of this missing money eventually goes to fund black projects, experimental technology, black budget biotechnology, etc.. It could be but what I don't understand is why there is so little media coverage of all this.

Earlier today, I was trying to google the article or, at minimum, a news story talking about this but I couldn't find anything. All I could find was a story from 2001.

It turns out the day before September 11th, 2001, Donald Rumsfeld told the American people that approximately 2.3 trillion dollars had been unaccounted for - possibly more. This was later pointed out by the 9/11 truth movement and we still have no clue where it went. A mistake you would think the government would've learned from right? Negative..

Now, notice the dollar amount... 2001 - DOD can't account for 2.3 trillion. 2012 - DOD can't account for 2.3 trillion. And it could easily be trillions more and we would never have any way to know.

This tells me that the DOD has been using this kind of technique for decades to keep certain projects, programs and technology secret. The DOD budget usually includes money for black programs though - some call it "The Black Budget". Not even Congress knows, nor will they ever know, where that money goes.

So if the black budget is accounted for in the annual military budgeting process, how do trillions of dollars end up missing for no apparent reason?

Why isn't this all over the news and why aren't American taxpayers demanding answers from their government?

Is it just a coincidence that the estimated dollar amount of the unaccounted-for funds is the same as it was in 2001? Is the DOD using this as a tactic as a whitewash? And, if so, what in the world is the DOD doing with that kind of money that they want to keep hidden?

I'll keep searching for that magazine article I saw and any other related news stories on the subject from March 2012. In the meantime, what is your take on all this guys & gals?

Is the government secretly preparing for something big later on in 2012? A sign of simple incompetence?

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I haven't heard that before. Very good job!

Through my perspective this could easily go to HAARP as we are getting more and more close to WW3. Also the destruction of fortifications and facilities under the mountains either for the protection of the "rulers" of this world by the facts that are going to happen during or worse after the end of WW3 or for the development of nuclear missiles laboratories or storages.

Or maybe there is the other possibility that these money were spend for the establishment of both the rebels of Libya and the rebels of Syria by providing them the appropriate weaponry!

I also have another thought but it is far above "Above Top Secret" so if i tell you certainly won't believe me.

In summary, this was a very useful information and I am very glad you share it with us! Thank you!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Without any links to the report you mention, or any evidence to back up your claim it is hard to comment on this. The obvious question, with both amounts being the same is, is the magazine article actually pointing to the money still missing from 9/11, i.e. the money was never recovered, is still missing and maybe the article is going on about money that has been missing for well over a decade.

I find it sad that the US of A, a country that says it enshrines freedom has programs so secret and so nasty that even it government is not allowed to see the details, if something is so bad (And black projects are not to make nice cuddly teddies, or to heal people, they are designed for weapons, and operations that are illegal) that the congress cannot be told, should they be allowed to happen? Where is the oversight?

When I grew up (In the UK) America was a beacon, a shinning example to the world, now its chief export is death and destruction. People go on about America bashing and hating, I for one criticize a lot of the actions of the US government, not because I hate America, actually it is quite the reverse, I do because I know what America promised to be, I know what America could of become, instead we see them exporting wars and chaos in the name of mega corporations, we see it bleed is citizens dry and a new fascist state emerging as it cracks down on its people, it is so bizarre as well because the American people are probably the most patriotic in the world.

Maybe that is what the count on, peoples nationalistic pride blinding them to what is really going on. At least sites like ATS let me know there are still the real Americans still around, the ones I grew up respecting.

Whatever happened to the Peace corps?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I can't even think of why they would not risk upsetting everyone and their mother. The country is in a state of rapid decline and yet no one has the will to demand the DOD and the pentagon to reveal where they are spending our life's blood.

Until they do they are criminals and traitors to their people. Theft is not honorable no matter the one doing the stealing.

I saw show us everything or you don't get a dime....refuse to do the job because of that....then you are fired....

Why can't we have ONE Fracking POTUS be a decent human being and / or a decent American with testicular fortitude to do right by us?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
seeing as how the reported amounts are the same could it be possible they were talking about the same case as the one in 2001 or was there something in the article indicated when this happened?
sometimes people are just late to the party (i wouldnt doubt it happening again though)

also in the earlier case they had said they were sure all the money was allocated properly and it was just an issue of there being no record of how it had been spent (my personal guess would be is some of it was spent properly but a lot of it was skimmed off the top and spent improperly)

so its not like all at once trillions of dollars just vanished its that there are trillions of dollars that had been spent over a fairly extensive period of time with no record of how it had been spent

which is almost as bad but still very different

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
It's quite simple. They got away with it the first time. Why not give it another go? They will get away with it this time too.

However last time the $2.3 trillion number came out the day before 9/11/2001.

So it's coming out now? A day before the Olympic opening ceremony 2012?

BOOM!!!
edit on 27-7-2012 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

...uh.....op said the article was from march

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Well, after a quick google search I didn't turn up anything mentioning a 2.3 trillion dollar gap this year, but I could be missing it. My hypothesis would be that the article was referencing the 2001 error. I would think (hope) this sort of thing would have been picked up by someone if it had been mentioned anywhere official. Without knowing the source, we have no way of knowing.

That said, I have wondered if there were to be an Olympic related false flag, would it be used to destroy financial data like they did in 9/11? I wonder if the Libor scandal could benefit from something happening?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink
reply to post by DaRAGE

...uh.....op said the article was from march

Oh yeah I missed that.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusChristwins

Actually, I believe funding for HAARP has been inclusive in the standard fiscal DOD budget for years.

According to info from wikipedia, as of 2008 HAARP had incurred $250,000,000 in construction & operating costs. That's not even a drop in the bucket compared to the estimated 2.3 trillion dollars that is unaccounted for.

HAARP - Wikipedia

As of 2008, HAARP had incurred around $250 million in tax-funded construction and operating costs.

Source: HAARP Fact Sheet Dated June 2007.

It is funded jointly by all the branches I believe but some funding comes from DARPA.

However, you bring up a good point - This money could've gone to a wide variety of projects that are wasteful and unnecessary. We'll probably never know what all was paid for. My overall point is if the Government and/or the DOD want to make something disappear, they can just say the money is unaccounted for and the problem of keeping it secret goes away.

There is alot of evidence to suggest that the largest underground bunker in human history is being built beneath Denver International Airport. This is one of many "off the books" projects that some are trying to keep hidden from public view. There are similar bunkers all over the U.S. that have been built in recent years - All of them smaller and more isolated from the public.

But why? Is this some kind of major preparation for something being kept hidden from us?

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by quailman03
Well, after a quick google search I didn't turn up anything mentioning a 2.3 trillion dollar gap this year, but I could be missing it. My hypothesis would be that the article was referencing the 2001 error. I would think (hope) this sort of thing would have been picked up by someone if it had been mentioned anywhere official. Without knowing the source, we have no way of knowing.

That said, I have wondered if there were to be an Olympic related false flag, would it be used to destroy financial data like they did in 9/11? I wonder if the Libor scandal could benefit from something happening?

When I was doing my own search for this article a couple days ago I noticed the same thing - There is nothing in the mainstream news about it. But the magazine WAS dated March 2012 and had alot of articles about the 2012 election with photos of Romney, Obama, etc.. I wish I could remember the name of the magazine but I'll keep searching.

Reading the article I got the sense that it was referring to a recent event though - Not something that happened 11 years ago. There was alot of information about the GAO, government accounting office, and how their auditing procedures are still incompatible with the DOD's accounting system.

Thanks for searching though. I'll let you know what I find.

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Yet republicans don't want to spend a few billion so poor kids can eat, go figure.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
So here's what I found so far...

According to THIS information, the DOD is hoping to eventually account for the missing trillions in order to hopefully pass a GAO audit by 2017.. Which is perhaps why I was reading about the missing money in a March 2012 magazine.

The more searching I do, the more I'm thinking this is the case.

The GAO has commented on the missing money publicly.. (From the above link)

The GAO comments on how this affects all aspects of the DoD's work and that they find the lack of accountability around weapons systems and their logistics exceptionally frustrating. From the testimony:

Long-standing and pervasive weaknesses in DoD's financial management and related business processes and systems have (1) resulted in a lack of reliable information needed to make sound decisions and report on the financial status and cost of DoD activities to Congress and DoD decision makers; (2) adversely impacted its operational efficiency and mission performance in areas of major weapons system support and logistics; and (3) left the department vulnerable to fraud, waste, and abuse....

DoD invests billions of dollars to acquire weapon systems, but it lacks the financial management processes and capabilities it needs to track and report on the cost of weapon systems in a reliable manner. We reported on this issue over 20 years ago, but the problems continue to persist. In July 2010, we reported that although DoD and the military departments have efforts underway to begin addressing these financial management weaknesses, problems continue to exist and remediation and improvement efforts would require the support of other business areas beyond the financial community before they could be fully addressed. [Emphasis added.]

On a side note, I found a PDF document online during my search for more material and thought I would share. It's a GAO assessment of "selected weapons programs" dated March 2012.

Defense Acquisitions - Assessment of Military Weapons Programs (Dated March 2012)

I looked through the document and saw alot of interesting information but didn't find anything relating to the Missing $2.3 Trillion.

I've read once that accounting information regarding this $2.3 Trillion was on computers in the Pentagon and were destroyed when the plane hit the Pentagon on 9/11. I'm not sure whether or not this information is accurate though.

I've also heard allegations that flight 93 didn't even have seat phones.. But that's another thread, another day.

-ChriS
edit on 28-7-2012 by BlasteR because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-7-2012 by BlasteR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

"Black Budget" = putting some fluff into your budget estimates so that you have "wiggle room" to divert funding into another area.

We do it in business all the time. Technology usually get more allocated than needed by a long shot, so we find ways to fit our purchases into the technology budget categoy when we disposition invoices ("yea, that case of whiskey tumblers looks pretty high tech. Accrue it to Technology")

I would assume that the DoD can find very creative ways to have records that tie back to what would seem to be legitimate projects as a line item on the budget.
edit on 28-7-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Good Point Texan!

I suspect that the DOD purposefully created these accounting discrepancies to hide certain construction projects, weapons systems, weapons platforms, etc.. And they have probably been using this tactic for over a decade knowing that the GAO might not EVER figure out where the money went.

What easier way to hide excesses in funding into experimental weapons platforms, the next generation of weapons systems, etc..

Plus, they could be using that money for any number of unethical/questionable activities and noone would ever find out. $2.3 Trillion dollars worth of all this.. Talk about delving into the unknown! Noone knows how long this was going on. We don't even know if the $2.3 Trillion is accurate - it could be substantially more.

It's pretty suspicous how Rumsfeld talked about this in certain TV interviews too.. He would mention it in passing for a second and then would just walk off like it was no big deal - Like he misplaced his watch or something. Seriously?!

And isn't it interesting how noone of the media outlets are covering this story? The entire issue just faded away completely after the 9/11 attacks.

The entire DOD accounting system is still no better than it was in 2001 either. Until people are held accountable for all of this, there will be no major changes in the way the DOD does its business and the fraud, waste & abuse will continue.

The GAO is hoping for an audit of this money by 2017 but we all know that isn't going to happen.

The only reason we're even talking about this is because it was probably leaked by someone which forced Rumsfeld to go public. How much of this sort of thing has gone on and still goes on today? We'll likely never know. I think we can all agree that this is unacceptable but is anything really going to change anytime soon?

Most people I've talked to don't even know this happened when it is possibly one of the biggest scandals in U.S. history.

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The money was not missing, just not properly tracked, and they eventually sorted out how it was spent, and what they got for it.

Debunkings:
www.911myths.com...
metabunk.org...

The actual story:
www.defense.gov...

While DoD may debate some of the criticisms of its financial statements and the size and components of the $2.3 trillion issue, we think that corrective action requires radical financial management transformation. For the FY 1999 financial statements, the auditors concluded that $2.3 trillion transactions of the $7.6 trillion entries to the financial statements were “unsupported”. DoD notes that many of these entries included end-of- period estimates for such items as military pension actuarial liabilities and contingent liabilities, and manual entries for such items as contract accounts payable and property and equipment values. DoD would further note that the “unsupported” entries are “not necessarily improper” and that documentation does exist in many cases, albeit, not adequate for the auditing standards imposed.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncinus

Man, i have swam in some pretty shallow ponds with some pretty big sharks in my day. And i have always outlasted all of them. I don't play dirty...but when the shiz is on the line, i can make chicken salad out of chicken poop.

Figures don't lie, but liars can figure. That is what you always have to remember. Creating an apparently logical explanation that depends on knowledge of facts that the people you are explaining it to are not privy to is an easy way to fool everyone into thinking that you really know what it is you are doing.

They can explain it all they want. And I can smell BS from a mile away.
edit on 30-7-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

top topics

join