It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future breakthroughs in nanotechnology could make an Orwellian global state feasible.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I am surprised why this hasn't been discussed much on ATS. Breakthroughs in the field of nanotechnology most specifically "molecular manufacturing" which some experts believe will be 5-20 years away. This technology will solve many dire problems across the world, most especially our energy problem. However, it also gives rise to the possibilities of individual terrorists "manufacturing" entire armies overnight and invading entire countries. To prevent such a scenario, some are arguing for the possible rise of a "global government".

This site, which appears to be in favor of global governance, explains why government across the world will justify the consolidation of power into a single, bloated, overly-bureaucratic, totalitarian world government. Excerpt:

Since the Soviet Union emerged as the world’s second nuclear power in 1949, international stability has been built on the concept of Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD). The prospect of MAD has successfully prevented the eruption of World War III by making a potential military conflict between nuclear powers equally undesirable to each party involved. This has led many to believe that victory in such a conflict is unattainable. With current technology, this assumption is probably correct. However, once molecular manufacturing emerges, this will no longer be true. A MM-enabled power could easily circumvent MAD.

A nation in possession of nanofactories is capable of rapidly manufacturing and deploying billions of microscopic/macroscopic machines at relatively little cost. These machines could comb the oceans for enemy submarines and quickly disable the nuclear arsenals they carry. Similar acts of sabotage could be carried out simultaneously against land-based nuclear facilities and conventional military forces in a matter of hours, if not minutes. Rendering its enemies utterly defenseless, the MM-enabled nation could conquer at will without fear of nuclear retaliation.

This site site explains how the breakthroughs in molecular manufacturing will make it feasible for a totalitarian governing body to turn the entire world into an Orwellian state. Excerpt:

The survival of freedom is determined by our ability to curtail the ability of the federal government. Within the Nanotech Age, just one terrorist will, theoretically, manage to constructing an overwhelming force and conquering our planet. This kind of unprecedented threat to world security will call for unprecedented measures. Using the capacity to regulate molecular manufacturing, a world government will have a way to spy on every human on earth. The way to monitor every transaction will be available. Already “nano dust” has been produced. Once it may be manufactured from suppliers, billions of microscopic particles is going to be able to hearing every conversation, recording every movement, and reading the correspondence of each and every human on the planet. Once molecular manufacturing is developed, this “smart dust” will become cheap and plentiful. Citizens must then weigh the costs and benefits of instituting a society similar to Orwell’s dystopian 1984 and one that elects for greater privacy, not just on their own but for terrorists as well. A dire consequence of molecular manufacturing might be that free societies slowly devolve into totalitarian police states in an effort to combat both real and imagined terrorist threats.

This is a serious threat. In our day, America practices an insurance policy of risk management in regard to terrorism. Although a nuclear attack on New York City would be devastating, it would not signal no more human life or liberty. However, a terrorist attack utilizing the full capabilities of molecular manufacturing is a different matter. Given its unacceptable consequences, America could see its policy transform in one of risk management to 1 of risk avoidance. And history illustrates the only societies able to combating terrorism with near 100% effectiveness are totalitarian in nature.

Whether you believe in an NWO or not, the simple fact of the matter is that technology in the very near future will give rise to the need of a "global regulator", and it is very much likely to be Orwellian in nature.
edit on 25-7-2012 by Diablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diablos
...technology in the very near future ...

Back in the 1980's I first started reading about Nanotechnology.
I even build a very simple Scanning Tunnelling Electron Microscope, and was an avid reader of the usenet newsgroup sci.nanotech.

And the technology then was always "in the very near future".
Now, decades later, it still is.
Decades from now, it still will be.

Its much like the promise of Artificial Intelligence. Really not much happened.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

...technology in the very near future ...

Back in the 1980's I first started reading about Nanotechnology.
I even build a very simple Scanning Tunnelling Electron Microscope, and was an avid reader of the usenet newsgroup sci.nanotech.

And the technology then was always "in the very near future".
Now, decades later, it still is.
Decades from now, it still will be.

Its much like the promise of Artificial Intelligence. Really not much happened.

The problem with the comparison of nanotechnology with artificial intelligence is the fact progress in both fields is very different. For AI, every time scientists thought there was a major breakthrough, they eventually hit a major dead-end be it the "top-down" approach or the "bottom-up" approach.

Nanotechnology was in its infancy back in the 1980's and at most was being explored theoretically by scientists and there has been constant progress since then. It was only recently we started seeing industrial applications of nanotechnology, so I'd give it some time. This is not something that isn't scientifically impossible or impractical from an engineering perspective, so it should become a reality any one of these years. Whether it takes 5 years or 100 years, the fact is that it will have serious implications on governance and regulation.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I'm all for a global government, just not under capitalism.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Diablos

Could be, but again, it could be the ultimate source of Freedom.

Our minds literally create at this point. It's easy to "give into fear." You're programed for it, and you're expected to hold progress backwards through your fear, making it easier for others to grasp hold of new technologies because the public fears it so much. Rather than fearing something, and allowing only a few to maintain control of it, let's try living from our better natures. Let us try to embrace these things and believe in a future where in which things become...limitless.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
"feasible"...buddy, we are living in that state RIGHT NOW... if you haven't noticed.

all they are doing is upgrading with each breakthrough.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by definity
I'm all for a global government, just not under capitalism.

Depending on how its implemented, it may be just what the world needs. But this is something that is centuries and possibly millennia into the future.
edit on 25-7-2012 by MathematicalPhysicist because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-7-2012 by MathematicalPhysicist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Good thread man, i would however point out that big brother has been watching us for some time now, 50 plus years. The Orwellian state is allready in place im afraid. Freedom is nothing more than an illusion these days. If you need proof try walking down the street naked with an open container of alcohol chanting anti government propaganda and see how long it takes TPTB to jail or section you!

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Diablos

I disagree with many points.

Since the Soviet Union emerged as the world’s second nuclear power in 1949, international stability has been built on the concept of Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD). The prospect of MAD has successfully prevented the eruption of World War III by making a potential military conflict between nuclear powers equally undesirable to each party involved.

There has not been any international stability what was prevented was full out wars between the superpowers and policy of self preservation by not using WMDs against nations that are under the strategic sphere of superpowers. On the other hand we saw an immediate increase in proxy wars and armed and economical terrorism.

I would propose that all nanotechnology that can replicate itself, whatever security measures should be outright forbidden on earth. Move that investigation and manufacturing to space and moon, use robotic labs and factories with remote presence.

The other point is about global governance, I'm all for it but not in the existing models we have UN, EU, US one thing that should be centralized is Human and Animal Rights, Decease control, Environmental protection and Nuclear production and armament controls, Food and Drugs and some parts of the Economy, Education and Research. There should be a single currency for instance (until we can get out of that system). But this will never happen...

Another thing is bioengeneering/biotech I would also ban a large part of it on the planet, move it to Mars and use it for terraforming allied with a move of heavy industries, that would be welcomed there.

Of course than we are talking about the future when nanotubes production will make the space-lift possible and we can slingshot cargo across locations...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I am surprised why this hasn't been discussed much on ATS. Breakthroughs in the field of nanotechnology most specifically "molecular manufacturing" which some experts believe will be 5-20 years away. This technology will solve many dire problems across the world, most especially our energy problem. However, it also gives rise to the possibilities of individual terrorists "manufacturing" entire armies overnight and invading entire countries. To prevent such a scenario, some are arguing for the possible rise of a "global government".

This site, which appears to be in favor of global governance, explains why government across the world will justify the consolidation of power into a single, bloated, overly-bureaucratic, totalitarian world government. Excerpt:

When I first clicked on the link AVG flagged it as a threat and removed it. Could have been a virus or other malware. Just want to caution others.

new topics

top topics

join