It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have the solution to radically minimizing gun-related deaths

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Don't know where else to post this, so of course move it if there is a more appropiate forum.

Now we all know this gun control problem there seems to be and after some time thinking a great idea popped into my head.

What if we make the need of having a PHD a basic requirement for owning a weapon. Just to be clear I'm not saying anyone with a PHD should automatically be granted a gun. I mean it should just be a basic requirement to owning a gun and from there of course, further requirements would be to undergo a background check and then some mental tests. After if you are deemed safe, responsible, mature you get any gun you want.

So just to go into more detail here is my plan for the requirements a person would need to have a gun.

1. A PHD in any subject.
2. A wife/husband with at least an undergraduate degree.
3. A stable and happy social circle and social life.
4. At least one son/daughter.

There is my plan. Because if you think about it. Someone without a university education should not own a firearm. And if my plan was implemented neither would he have to own one because you can be certain he won't be massacred by a happy doctor or happy philospher for that reason.

With my plan only people with maturity, responsibility, and respect would have a firearm. You can be certain a shooting such as the Aurora massacre or any school shooting would be very rare.
edit on 23/7/12 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
Don't know where else to post this, so of course move it if there is a more appropiate forum.

Now we all know this gun control problem there seems to be and after some time thinking a great idea popped into my head.

What if we make the need of having a PHD a basic requirement for owning a weapon. Just to be clear I'm not saying anyone with a PHD should automatically be granted a gun. I mean it should just be a basic requirement to owning a gun and from there of course, further requirements would be to undergo a background check and then some mental tests. After if you are deemed safe, responsible, mature you get any gun you want.

So just to go into more detail here is my plan for the requirements a person would need to have a gun.

1. A PHD in any subject.

There is my plan. Because if you think about it. Someone without a university education should not own a firearm. And if my plan was implemented neither would he have to own one because you can be certain he won't be massacred by a happy doctor or happy philospher for that reason.

With my plan only people with maturity, responsibility, and respect would have a firearm. You can be certain a shooting such as the Aurora massacre or any school shooting would be very rare.

How about removing the "right" to bear arms from the law.

What sort of a right is that?

Who actually needs to bear arms & why?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Other than this raping the 2nd amendment...

As a responsible gun owner that would meet none of your requirements, I couldn't support this.

1) I don't want to spend $20k+ on a degree that would not otherwise further my career.
2) What if I don't want to get married? Does that make me any less responsible than a married person?
3) How would you judge what is stable? Would there be a committee? What if they decide they don't like me?
4) If I choose not to have children, how does that affect my ability to be a responsible gun owner?

I think the things you mention can be an illusion of stability, but married doctors with kids can snap too.

And criminals won't care about your regulations.

edit on 23-7-2012 by scorpiosin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

....sorry, that was my initial response to your OP. Wait...here's my final response....

What a divisive plan/rule that would be. Yep, I'm a Bubbette...redneck kinda Gal.

Des

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

1. A PHD in any subject.

You must be daft. No offense. :-) Gun rights were originally conceived to protect a balance of power, to protect individuals... not just doctors, or just today's corporate-controlled government/police members...

Every single one of your qualifications is an offense to different groups: non-doctors (people with other degrees or just decent people who didn't go to college), people who choose to be single, people who have the right to be loners/who have a right to privacy/solitary lifestyles, and people who can't have kids or choose not to.

How about you get the military to respect these requirements first, and we only send doctors overseas. Let's see if they follow blanket orders or are so quick to pull the trigger.

Your list is a joke...

Half the time when you hear of someone going nuts and killing their family... guess what... they had kids. I could cite similar examples of why the other points are just as bogus but really, why waste my time on this.

Unfort. guns are like nukes (there's no going back). As much as I wish we could all fistfight like men, some lowlife will always be packing heat. And as horrible as nukes are, I can't imagine how we could ever have a world where they are completely gone (I hope I am wrong on this point, though).

Why don't you commit your life to solving motor fatality issue since we lose more lives in that space in two hours than we did in CO at this Batman movie tragedy?
edit on 7/23/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I really want someone like Sheldon Cooper to be the only one in the building with a gun when the bad guys kick in the door.

I don't meet ANY of your "criteria". I've got plenty of guns. Come take em.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
LOL! Man, you're a little tyrant. How about we make it so that no one with red hair or a tattoo can own a gun either? The deer population should take over the food supply in no time. That ought to keep us all good and safe.
Never ever sacrifice your liberty for security. A madman went nuts. They do that. Somebody should have shot him.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Wait, I've got a better idea. All gun control regulations will be decided upon by dueling. Instigator's choice of weapons.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

how about.. Everyone gets issued a government 3 shooter? And its mandatory to carry at all times. Could solve a hole lot of problems.. I dont think phd is a good idea, cause this dude only had to wait another year for that..

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
that is just hilarious

Just think we can start a new ad campaign.....guns don't kill people......nerds do

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
How about only individuals with the intelligence to understand the Constitution get to own a firearm.
You would clearly NOT get to own one.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
What about Major Nidal Malik Hasan, the Army psychiatrist that killed 13 and wounded 29 others At Fort Hood

He has a PhD and completed a fellowship in Disaster and Preventive Psychiatry at the Center for Traumatic Stress at USUHS.

Constitutional issues aside, Having an advanced degree, stable home etc. does not somehow inoculate one from becoming homicidal.
edit on 23-7-2012 by Nukeguy because: Correction

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalWabbit

I just envisioned drive-by shootings on segways.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by scorpiosin
Other than this raping the 2nd amendment...

As a responsible gun owner that would meet none of your requirements, I couldn't support this.

1) I don't want to spend $20k+ on a degree that would not otherwise further my career.
2) What if I don't want to get married? Does that make me any less responsible than a married person?
3) How would you judge what is stable? Would there be a committee? What if they decide they don't like me?
4) If I choose not to have children, how does that affect my ability to be a responsible gun owner?

I think the things you mention can be an illusion of stability, but married doctors with kids can snap too.

And criminals won't care about your regulations.

edit on 23-7-2012 by scorpiosin because: (no reason given)

Okay I'm willing to make some improvements to my plan.

The requirements are now as follow:

1. A background check on your social stability, social circle, personal sanity, ideology and upbringing.

These tests are done regularly.

If you pass the set of tests ago for the first time you get to have a firearm of your choice. Sequent regular tests are done to determine if you can keep having your firearm.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron
reply to post by Jepic

I'm just gonna copy my new answer for everyone.

1. A background check on your social stability, social circle, personal sanity, ideology and upbringing.

If you pass the set of tests ago for the first time you get to have a firearm of your choice. Sequent regular tests are done to determine if you can keep having your firearm.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by Jepic

....sorry, that was my initial response to your OP. Wait...here's my final response....

What a divisive plan/rule that would be. Yep, I'm a Bubbette...redneck kinda Gal.

Des

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthSeekerMike

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join