It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas GOP "opposes teaching of ... critical thinking skills"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
"a plank from the 2012 platform of the Republican Party of Texas which, astonishingly enough, reads as follows: “We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.”

www.nationalmemo.com...

And there you have it.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by longlostbrother

They probably don´t want anymore Ron Pauls coming out of texas anytime soon, as well as try to cut down on his future supporters, in order to avoid them "disgracing" the GOP like they did this year...

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Its not just the GOP in TX but the education system itself. I attended a highly ranked public school in Houston which overemphasized on its Athletics and Language magnet program. From my time there and all the discipline I had received from the upper echelon of the schools administration (Principles and Assistant Principles), I can say without a doubt that they didn't so much cared about what I learned but of my behavior and their schools placings.(State Testing scores, Overall National scores etc.)

There was only a handful of teachers that even remotely cared about the material they taught and how much of it got into the class's head.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
...oh, [snip] me sideways...I have nothing else to say. There's nothing else that really can be said. Hold on, I have to beat this out of my head now...

:bnghd:
edit on 23-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

edit on 23/7/12 by masqua because: removed censor circumvention

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
So the war on Education and Intellectualism marches on in America.

Why do you think they have made post secondary education so expensive?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
lol thanks for the link S+F. Can't have those kids questioning your authority, right? I wish I had room to bash Texas' stance on education, but I'm in FL lol

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Disgraceful....I bet Ol' Slick Rick doesn't want people in his state to have mental skills that he doesn't possess himself.

edit on 23-7-2012 by KibbleChild because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
It's funny to me because, as someone on ATS, I see so much debunked nonsense endlessly reposted.

All of that could be avoided, well most of it, if people had the critical thinking skills to determine what is true and what is false.

I was discussing this earlier today; how do you teach critical thinking and how do you test if it's been learned?

In Texas I guess you don't even try.
edit on 23-7-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Truely depressing ,brother................hope for mankinds indominable spirit...................

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Texas, it's like a whole other, stupider country.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join