It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Cannot Take Some of You Seriously...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
GROUP, ATTENTION! PARADE...REST!

.....and here is why:

Let me just start off by saying that no one here on ATS is perfect, but it does not hurt to put forth effort. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that most of you have a sickening fetish for slaughtering the written English language. A lot of you contribute what would be decent reads, if I could get past the spelling and grammar. I understand that some of you may be in a hurry to publish certain articles because time may be of the essence, but if you want anyone to take you seriously, please consider spell check and also proper grammar usage. Like I said, no one here is a genius, not Phage and most certainly not even Chadwickus, but it does not take a genius to write out proper English especially considering that it is the native tongue of a good majority ATS users.

I am not trying to call anyone out here, but good god people, seriously? Some of the posts are absolutely so embarrassing that I am almost ashamed to live on this planet. I can safely say that, on a daily basis, roughly 65% of posts on the New Topics page contain posts that quite literally make me want to swallow a hollow point bullet. Yes, yes, yes, I know I DO NOT have to read those posts, I realize that. However, some of you make the ATS community as a whole, look as if we are all a bunch of logic-lacking knuckle-draggers.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, pick up a thesaurus and a dictionary before you post. You know who you are.

Or, for the lazy: www.jspell.com...

ATS is supposed to be a venue for an open exchange of thoughts and ideas, but it is hard to extract any useful information from a post when it looks as if it was published by a resident of one of those creepy, secluded rural villages in Southern Alabama who declared education to be of no importance. (I am an American, so I can say that.)

I am no troll, but from now on when I see a post that is obviously written by someone who put little to no effort into their spelling or grammar, my response will simply be this:

GROUP, ATTENTION! FALL OUT!

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaeus

It's the internet.............. not even half of what is on here should be taken seriously.................................

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

ATS is supposed to be a venue for an open exchange of thoughts and ideas, but it is hard to extract any useful information from a post when it looks as if it was published by a resident of one of those creepy, secluded rural villages in Southern Alabama who declared education to be of no importance.

Has it ever been any different anywhere on the internet?
Is this thread going to change anything?

What you are complaining about is not unique to ATS users... ATS is just a reflection of the real world. In fact, I dare say ATS users are quite a cut above what's really out there, so be thankful it isn't worse!

edit on 23-7-2012 by DeReK DaRkLy because: ...

CX

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Don't forget that English is not everyone's first language on ATS.

As for spellcheckers, remember that US spelling is different than UK's, so that makes me look like a total spelling chimp straight away half the time. My spellchecker says it's all good, but i know it's obviously not.

I try but sometimes i just say sod it and make a cuppa.

CX.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

"In fact, I dare say ATS users are quite a cut above what's really out there"

That....is....debatable.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Not everyone is a native speaker/writer too.

And who cares, its not like this really matters...does it? I hate the text speak, but we dont see much of that on here. If i can read it and understand it, what does it matter?

We arent being graded on it, and it really isnt that important to be honest.
Go moan about something worthwhile.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

It is not hard to make sure that your writing is legible. I am 23 years old, and not even an English major, and I write considerably better than most people who have been alive 30-40 years older than me.

Again, it is not hard to write a legible post. There is no excuse.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaeus

"In fact, I dare say ATS users are quite a cut above what's really out there"
That....is....debatable.

Over half the world has never made a telephone call, let alone engaged in public debate on highly sensitive subjects.
I think the problem is that you're expecting too much out of humanity - I used to do that too.

edit on 23-7-2012 by DeReK DaRkLy because: ...

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaeus

This isn't the military. Don't like it? Don't read it.

"Sorry Sergeant, I have attention deficit disorder."
edit on 23-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

It does matter. I hate coming on here and reading post after post after post after post after post after post after post after post that contain error after error after error after error after error. It makes the user look ridiculous, along with the rest of this site.

I probably should have mentioned that this is one of my biggest pet peeves.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I don't most of the time, because I can't. That is the problem here.

link   
Who cares about perfect punctuation n grammar on the internet..? I type with lazyness cause i have to have perfect punctuation in one of my classes letters have to be perfect n everything, its time consuming and annoying... I look at this no different than a text message, just tryin to get the point across..

link   
reply to post by Amaeus

Then read the responses of people who DO understand it.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaeus

I can think of numerous excuses/reasons why people cant or wont write in the way you would like them too. You just have to use your imagination.

Its the internet so no one really cares
Had a long day at work/school
Just woke up
Doesnt know how to use spell checker
Doesn't
understand the wiggly line under misspelled words
Are young
Are old
Genuinely finds writing hard
Finds typing boring
Cant think of the words to express themselves.....etc etc etc etc.

Seen plenty of grammar nazi's on here

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I get the argument for Proper language and Grammer use.

No one wants to have to read Giberish...

But really is your deductive reasoning skills so low that it actually hinders your ability to comprehend what is written?

I could make excuses all day for people's bad Grammer, from typing on an iPhone (as I am now) to just plain stupid.

Nothing you rant about will change it, people will continue being ---- fill in what ever excuse for bad spelling and Grammer in the blank.

The only thing you can do is change your reaction to it...

Besides even some gibberish is atleast entertaining and might still add to the community as a whole, I would hate for someone with a valid idea not to post because they are afraid of Grammer nazi's tearing them apart...

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I never usually make it that far.

My point is, if you have something to say, write it in an intelligible fashion, not as such:

omg guys so i jus got back in from smokin a cigerret and i jus saw flashin light int he sky that made me turn my hed quikly to teh reight and then it flash again and it took control of my body and it made me sit down in the graas. well then i was at my grammas house and tehn this report came on the tv about aleins and it made me think back to when i saw that light in the sky that night and then i walkt in on my mom who was foldin her landry and then she said omg get on the floor then ever body walk the dinosor.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mathoryn

Why? Because I identified a serious flaw with the user base of this site, and I confronted it?

Your logic, or lack thereof is really amusing.

Please continue with your flak attack so I can see that pretty little "MANNERS AND DECORUM" message in place of your oh so productive response.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Sorry dude, but your a snob!

There are a few on this site that would rip your post apart, so, are they entitled to think the same way about you?
edit on 23-7-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaeus

I am no troll, but from now on when I see a post that is obviously written by someone who put little to no effort into their spelling or grammar, my response will simply be this

I think it is safe to say your rant will change only 1 thing - people's perception of you, and since you just got here, that's not a good thing.

Now, if you had some 'street cred' around here, it would be a different thing, but you don't, so it's not...

<<   2  3 >>

join