It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't normally do this... London 2012 - A clue in a film about Dystopia 'Children of Men'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Children of Men. A films set in the not too distant future in London. Its themes - mortality, racial intolerance, terrorism, class war, corrupt governments, corporations and hope.

In the Bexhill tower block scene, Theo is wearing a London 2012 Olympics fleece.

The film was made in 2004/5 and released in 2006.

So yes, I'm only half-joking with the film reference, but isn't it strange how we've verging on this boundary now. With the Olympics almost being a beta-test for the police state. With a heightened terror alert, racial tension, the prelude of a possible war and massive class division between corporate states and the humble worker.

It's sickening to think we're edging closer and closer to a Huxlian or Orwellian state.

--

And since this is ATS, if somebody wants to take this P.D James Novel adaptation into the realms of Videomancy, then here's some headlines from the movie:

Newspaper headlines throughout the film read: Raid nabs refugees' weapons cache, AFRICA DEVASTATED BY NUCLEAR FALL OUT, U.S. TROOPS FULL ATTACK, EXTREMIST EXPLOSION A RIGHT ROYAL RIP OFF: CHARLES SHOULD BE THRONE OUT, MILITIAS OCCUPY CINCINNATI, BOZEMAN & SPOKANE, CHAOS IN REFUGEE CAMPS, FERTILITY DRUG KILLS! SURGEON ARRESTED, HORMONE ATTACKS: VIOLENT REACTION, 100 Suicides: Nation in Denial, RUSSIA IN CRISIS: Massive migration, Police put mosques under surveillance, Gatherings are forbidden, BOMBING OF SAUDI PIPELINE DISRUPTS WORLD'S OIL SUPPLY (Photo by Janice Palmer), REFUGEES BLAMED FOR INCREASE IN TERROR ATTACKS (Thursday April 6th, 2018), SOUTH COAST TOWNS TURNED INTO REFUGEE CAMPS (Tuesday February 11, 2020), PM DENIES "TORTURE" OF BRITISH CITIZENS, ALLEGATIONS OF ABUSE DISMISSED AS A SHAM, DIRTY BOMB DETONATED IN MUNICH (Report by Photojournalist Janice Palmer), England bans ALL immigration completely, 25% INFERTILITY RATE (21.12.2008), Two years since last baby born, NO BABY HOPE ADMIT SCIENTISTS, WAR AND FAMINE LEAD TO MASS MIGRATION, JANICE PALMER questions Britain's ethical response to the refugee situation, MASSIVE MIGRATION, CHANNEL TUNNEL CLOSED, All foreigners now ILLEGAL, Refugees mass on Europe, MI5 DENY INVOLVEMENT IN TORTURE OF PHOTOJOURNALIST (photo of Janice Palmer. Monday 16.7.2018).

I put this in the grey area as it's mostly fun and speculation based on a sickeningly realistic parody to real world events.

edit on 19-7-2012 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Wow, nice catch, and with things somehow mysteriously showing up in movies before they happen, lends a little interest to this connection. Some of those headlines read like they could be today's front page.

I saw That Karl Rove mentioned a "what if" scenario involving attack at the Olympics. Then there is all the symbology and security and actual threats so yea...interesting...and scary.

ETA: A link for streaming(not downloading
) Putlocker is a good option
www.1channel.ch...
edit on 19-7-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply. I just found it interesting as it caught my eye, I thought the film was quite tense and carried with it an air of something bigger than a mere movie. An ideology of hope in tyranny and anarchy.

But either way I forgot to link the IMDB link.

read about it yourselves, it's a strangely relevant film when compared to today's themses

www.imdb.com...

The book itself was written in 1992

en.wikipedia.org... and was set in 2021, the film is set in 2031 I think.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

The announcement for the choice of London for the 2012 Olympics was made in 2005 so I wouldn't put read too much into that fact. I do think something major is going to happen during the games, but there have been quite a few major events during Olympic games. Fact is people know they are going to have the attention of the entire world during that time so generally they are being opportunistic. One example I can think of is the Munich Massacre of 1972...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
and for giggles, a review snippet from the Guardian in 2006:

One of the cleverest touches is the ancient, manky sweatshirt Theo wears -advertising the London Olympics of 2012. To us, it is a symbol of London's last-ever demonstration of untroubled national rejoicing, when this country was awarded the Games, before that mood was cruelly shattered by the 7/7 bombings. Now London 2012 is Theo's veteran-badge of despair, and a memento of his lost career in political dissent.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
You know I watched Children of men a couple of years ago and the film has stuck with me ever since. I have watched it at least 4-5 times now and the correlations you can draw to present day and how events are currently unfolding is.. intriguing to say the least!

All throughout my head whilst watching the film I'm thinking 'This is what the UK is going to be like in 5-10 years.'

Literally, I give it about 5-10 years. IF THAT. Until there is a massive race/class war in the UK. I don't mean the race/class war we have at the moment I mean BLOODSHED.

And its a scary, scary thought thinking that our little, overpopulated island is going to pop off like a firecracker in the near future. I have a kid of the way for gods sake!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Forgot to mention that I live in Hastings, a very short distance away from Bexhill!
And my mum and bro live in Rye!

Just made the film that little bit more trippy.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bonsaihorn

The announcement for the choice of London for the 2012 Olympics was made in 2005

Quite right. The day after London celebrated the granting of the Olympics, 52 people die on buses and tube trains in the 7/7 bombings of 2005.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I've just learned to chalk a lot up to that strange and fascinating thing called synchronicity. The universe is just so curious and sometimes ironic.

BTW...I think everyone should see that movie from the biology to the police state, I think we are very close to living it.
edit on 7/19/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

edit on 19-7-2012 by will615 because: nevermind

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I was shocked to see on the news the other night that Olympic only traffic lanes have been created in London streets.

The 1960-70s, expose' documentaries I used to see on TV about the Russian communist system used to make a big issue of the fact the Moscow streets has traffic lanes that were set aside for the political elite use only.

Now I see them re-emerge in London for the Olympic games in 2012. Is the forerunner, the thin edge of wedge, a portent of things to come after the olympic's.

new topics

top topics

join