It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Plans to Execute a Mentally Retarded Man Tomorrow

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Warren Hill (pictured) was convicted of a 1985 murder, and was sentenced to death after being convicted of beating a fellow inmate to death in 1990. He is scheduled to be executed by the state of Georgia tomorrow evening. Warren Hill's IQ is 70. He has been found by a court to be mentally retarded. Georgia plans to kill him anyhow.

[...]

UPDATE: The state of Georgia has rescheduled Hill's execution for this coming Monday, due to a change in lethal injection methods. His appeal to the US Supreme Court is still pending.

Full article

Absolutely ridiculous. I really don't even know what else to say.

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites

edit on Thu Jul 19 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I'm against the death penalty unless it's clear that keeping an inmate alive would be a danger to other inmates and/or prison workers, etc etc. This fella killed another inmate. If it were me, I'd separate him from the general population and put him where he can't have much contact with others so he couldnt' hurt anyone. I'd at least try that first. But I'm not in charge ....

+21 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

He killed 2 people. Getting into a person's level of intelligence seems to be discriminatory, or are metally challenged people more deserving of life than others?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786

Warren Hill (pictured) was convicted of a 1985 murder, and was sentenced to death after being convicted of beating a fellow inmate to death in 1990. He is scheduled to be executed by the state of Georgia tomorrow evening. Warren Hill's IQ is 70. He has been found by a court to be mentally retarded. Georgia plans to kill him anyhow.

[...]

UPDATE: The state of Georgia has rescheduled Hill's execution for this coming Monday, due to a change in lethal injection methods. His appeal to the US Supreme Court is still pending.

Full article

Absolutely ridiculous. I really don't even know what else to say.

Probably took what he was already in prison for into consideration, which is also for murder.
Personally, I dont care what his IQ is, he killed two people, his death seems an appropriate punishment to me.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Why does a man's IQ have anything to do wiith whether a murderer is put to death? If anything, this man has proven to us all that he is not fit for society.

I'll ask the same as a poster before me.

Do the mentally retarded deserve life more than an intelligent person?

edit on 19-7-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

Everyone deserves life equally. I do not agree with the death penalty. We're one of the last civilized nations to even still do this barbaric practice. I don't think anyone should be put to death by the state.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Hill was already serving a life sentence for shooting his girlfriend 11 times in 1986 when he was sentenced to death for killing his sleeping cellmate with a board spiked with nails.
What a charmer.... You say you disagree with the death sentence. But what possible justification is there for keeping a man like this alive?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

But what possible justification is there for keeping a man like this alive?

The Case Against the Death Penalty
edit on 19-7-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
He's costing the taxpayers money by staying alive, he did kill 2 individuals.

Also, this is the only time that IQ seems relevant. They say that IQ is not an accurate measure of a persons intelligence, we hear this continuously, unless it comes to the death penalty... hmmmmm

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Everyone deserves life equally. I do not agree with the death penalty. We're one of the last civilized nations to even still do this barbaric practice. I don't think anyone should be put to death by the state.

Why do you believe that what you stated above is right?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Because I don't believe it's man's place to decide when someone dies. It's Allah's place. And I personally think it's extremely hypocritical to attempt to teach that killing is wrong by killing people who kill.

link   

Originally posted by kimish
He's costing the taxpayers money by staying alive, he did kill 2 individuals.

Not true. It actually costs more to execute someone.

link   
I belive in most states, an IQ BELOW 70 is required for a legal definition mental retardation, making 70 "on the line" for the rule.

I personally think that mental incapacity (permanent or temporary) should not be grounds to avoid personal responsibility for any crime, but that's just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Pretty much agree with this statement. On a related note, too many times we have seen evidence overturned years down the road, on convicted "murderers" .
Innocents have been killed by the state, and later on found to be innocent through DNA or new evidence surfacing. How would any of us feel if our loved one was wrongly accused of a crime and killed?

I have no problem with hard time for murderers, keep them locked up, but you cant give a person back his life.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

But he's not avoiding personal responsibility. He's already in prison. He will be in prison. It's not like he's out on the streets free.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Why do you believe that what you stated above is right?

Same reason anyone does when it comes down to things that are a matter of personal opinion/viewpoint. I just personally disagree with the death penalty and think it is totally barbaric. The judicial system is far from foolproof and extremely prejudicial.

Look at the percentage of White people on death row for killing a Black person vs. the percentage of Black people on death row for killing a White person.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Can't someone have an IQ of 70 and just be stupid? The man doesn't look mentally damaged to me.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

OP I hope this is on topic.

List of condemned inmates exhonerated, sometimes after they were executed. Sucks for them and their families:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I don't necessarily agree with the death penalty either..With that said, you're opening up a whole other can of worms when you say "It's Allah's place. " How many people think they know when "Allah" says "kill!", just sayin!
edit on 19-7-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

But, again, that's man deciding. Muslims are not permitted to kill indiscriminately; only to defend. The Qur'an is very clear. Unfortunately people corrupt that for their own means, usually politically. It's time to take back the Faith.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join