It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble spots spiral galaxy that shouldn't exist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Spiral Galaxy

Astronomers using the Hubble Space Telescope have discovered the oldest known spiral galaxy, a 10.7-billion-year-old anomaly that by all rights shouldn't exist. The galaxy was present in the early universe, about 3 billion years after the Big Bang, at a time when galaxies were still forming and normally looked clumpy and irregular. "The vast majority of old galaxies look like train wrecks," said UCLA astronomer Alice E. Shapley, one of the discoverers of the unusual spiral galaxy. "Our first thought was, why is this one so different, and so beautiful?"

pretty exciting the NEW things we still find these days.

i truly believe there is soo much we NEED to learn from space.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dizrael

So the reason it shouldn´t exist is because of the time the light takes to get here, which is 10,7 billions years for this particular one, which means it existed in this spiral formation 10,7 billion years ago, when spiral galaxies was not formed(according to the mainstream big bang theory).

So in short, according to the mainstream big bang theory, the galaxy cannot exist. But since it exists, what does this tell us?

edit on 18-7-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
reply to post by Dizrael

So the reason it shouldn´t exist is because of the time the light takes to get here, which is 10,7 billions years for this particular one, which means it existed in this spiral formation 10,7 billion years ago, when spiral galaxies was not formed(according to the mainstream big bang theory).

So in short, according to the mainstream big bang theory, the galaxy cannot exist. But since it exists, what does this tell us?

edit on 18-7-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

Just how light assembles and reassembles much like repetitive snap-shots.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The Artist's rendering of the spiral galaxy at the link is awesome! As for the scientific content of the thread... I'll throw a ball out there, although I'll probably get laughed at.

Do you think the galaxies aren't merging as fast because there are less stars with high masses compared to 'normal' galaxies? Maybe loads of gas stars or hollow stars in the galaxy or something.

Well.. I tried.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
S&F

Just goes to show when you look at the stars the human race on Earth is only a infant when compared to life out there in the cosmos.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Very cool thanks.. s n f

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
definately my favorite quote from the article.

The calculations also suggest, however, that the merger would be rapid and that the spiral would disappear after a relatively brief 100 million years.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Awesome Awesome Awesome and..................................Awesome.

Thanks

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Dizrael

Ahhhhh, as they look closer it all becomes clear!!

Zoom in

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
That's the beauty of science, it finds something new, no matter the result. If it goes against what we think we know, we just end up learning more. If that means rewriting books, reforming theories it's all a sign of progress, and the flexibility of the world of Science.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Wasnt the fact that mass is so widespread explained by the fact that spacetime expanded faster than the speed of light? There you go. The galaxy is 10.7 million light years away it does not mean it is that old.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
We are still too blind to see.

I recently transferred into a totally new position. (I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.) A little more than 3 weeks under my belt but learning fast. Yesterday my preceptor asked me if I had any questions. It did not take long for me to realize from my ponderins, that I did not know enough yet to have questions.

When are we going to realize that we are continuiously learning. Everyday comes with a new discovery. We will never learn all that the universe has to offer. What appeared as fact yesterday can quickly change to speculation in a blink of an eye.

We are observers. We need to stop thinking that we are anything more than that.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

It tells us how little we still know. It tells us that, even if we have started to figure out how things are done, we still need to get more on the subject before we can say we know.

As of now, at best, we suspect.

Yesterday's facts are today proven false. Today's truths will be tomorrow's jokes of the past.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I think basically it can be summed up like this.

The more you know, the more you realize how little you actually know.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
This:

Is an artists rendering.I don´t think its the actual picture. Some might read the description under the picture:

Artist's rendering of the oldest known spiral galaxy. The red area in the upper right corner is a dwarf galaxy that is merging with it. (Dunlap Institute for Astronomy & Astrophysics/Joe Bergeron)

Just wanted to say.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Doalrite

Was the artist a nazi by any chance? Or am I just seeing things?

Any way, cool thread, shows we have a lot more to learn.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mee30

Probably not since the swastika has four prongs/arms on it and the galaxy painting you are referring to only has 3.

However, the artist could have been a buddhist since the nazi's hijacked that symbol from them. GO into any buddhist temple and you will see it all over the place in chains along the walls. On statues. So the artist may have been buddhist. Certainly better than a nazi.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Sorry to inform you guys, but this was posted a few weeks ago.

Just found galaxy casts doubt on the age of the universe

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
Sorry to inform you guys, but this was posted a few weeks ago.

That seems to be something else. A galaxy cluster called IDCS J1426.5+3508.

This newer one, is galaxy Q2343-BX442.

And a real picture (yes, the one shown earlier is an artists impression).

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Hey I got another one.
What it tells us is that the galaxy is not really 10.7 Billion years old.
What it tells us is the theory that red shift equals distance is not valid.
What it tells us is that plasma has an intrinsic red shift and in reality we have no idea how old or how far away any galaxy or star really is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join