It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scent of the Female Coyote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I haven't had a lot of experience on internet forums. In fact, the only one I've ever really participated in to any extent is ATS. I'm kind of a blue skies or storms, starry nights and rare plants and animals and insects up close and personal kind of a person.

While pursuing that lifestyle in a wilderness area, a couple of things happened to put me on the hunt on the internet. The moon started to look odd and the Pleiades, a small star cluster that looks like a mini-dipper, became harder to see - like it was behind a mist.

I searched on the internet and found answers to the Pleiades but the moon was more elusive. One night I was searching, as usual, using all the words I could think of - strange moon, curious moon, boat moon, wet moon, Cheshire moon and finally: odd moon brought me to ATS.

I had a big dog, who died recently, and he enjoyed the wilderness areas. Sometimes I'd have to get into the truck and drive for miles to find him in his wanderings. Someone living in the general area (within some miles of me) told me to watch out for the coyotes. He said that a female in heat would come to lure a dog back to the pack for food. I don't know if this story is true or not but I did take precautions because it was not unusual to see coyotes in the area.

It is a true story, though, as it relates to my experiences on internet forums. I registered a membership that night so that I could participate in this 'doesn't the moon look odd tonight' thread. The OP had abandoned the thread and never really posted much more than that opening sentence. There was no discussion. Whatever I had to say was ridiculed from the git go. There were even some attempts to pretend that it was some other phenomena that was being talked about and so forth.

It was some years later that I read that an internet forum like this is not for information or discussion, but rather for entertainment. That kind of took the air out of my balloon but, on the other hand, it made a lot of sense. People play games for entertainment. They get into packs and pit one pack against another to see who can win. It really has nothing to do with the subject matter or the right or wrong of it. It's just a game.

As you know, some games are perverse and some are deadly. For me, the decision to participate or not was easy from that point on. Information has come to me from various sources while on ATS. It has made it in some ways easier and in some ways harder to find the answers I was looking for. I don't know if they would have come so easily without ATS. There are a lot of people who put up threads here that are thoughtful and creative and that don't ever go anywhere. I'm hard put to find them - using search, poring over new topics, looking through forums where I think these people might post. Usually all there is from these threads are a few posts and then they die.

But that was the point of my personal story. Those are the threads, short-lived and unpopular, that have often provided me with the information I sought. So I guess I'm saying that being on ATS is, in a lot of ways, like being back in high school except with a more deadly edge to it. But on the other hand, in high school, I never had the benefit of so many thoughts on the current situation of our world because here, even if they only last for one or two posts, they're permanent, in a fleeting virtual kind of a way; permanent enough for me to get a glimpse even if they're gone the next moment.

So I don't know if someone kind of set in their ways could ever really consider this entertainment. Entertainment has always meant something different to me and didn't ever really involve a virual world. Before I learned this truism, I had used the internet , in some ways, as a library. Now, of course, I realize that it is a place where all sorts of activities that I wouldn't ordinarily participate in, take place.

I've actually changed my mind on a couple of things while being on ATS. Didn't used to think that Morgellon's was real and now I do. Didn't used to think that the electric universe was anything and now I do. Didn't used to think about Ron Paul at all because I didn't know anything about him but now I do. Didn't used to think anything at all about HAARP, but now I realize how dangerous it is.

ATS has been, for me, kind of like any new discovery: there's the potential for good and a potential for bad. In our society, the potential for bad always gets ramped up first because it's what's useful to the military. In my personal society, it doesn't have to be that way though. The internet is fraught with peril for the unsuspecting and innocent. That's why we monitor our children on it. But sometimes, we ourselves, not really understanding the goals and purposes, can become ensnared. Like I did that first night. And it was several years before the entertainment, game playing venue really became clear to me.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Wow, 5 flags and no replies. I think that means that the majority of those reading your thread agree with you and/or appreciate what you are getting at.

I understand where you are coming from and I think the internet can be many different things for many different people, depending on several factors. Personality, professional life, family life, culture, social standing, sexuality, and age are just a few of the many personal aspects that can effect the way we use the internet.

In our society, the internet is still in it's infancy and probably has many new and unrealized aspects to offer. As the technology we use advances, I think the interaction and capabilities of the world wide web will too.

When I was first introduced to the internet, I was taught that it was a tool for education and information exchange. That was sometime in the early to mid 90's, if I recall correctly. Shortly after that introduction the internet seemed to morph into something different.

As the number of people using it and the accessibility around the world increased, we began seeing new types of web-sites opening. People were beginning to communicate in new ways. As we became less timid, we began to offer more trust to the online businesses and as a result we began to shop online more and more.

It has continued to morph as new and innovative ideas and technologies are developed and incorporated into the online domain. The way I use the internet has experienced almost as many make-overs as the internet itself.

Originally introduced to me as an educational and information exchange tool, it wasn't long before I, like so many others, began communicating through chat room, instant messages, and email. Even that aspect has seen it's own evolution that today offers services like Skype, Ventrillo, and interactive communication tools like TeamViewer.

Companies are so aggressive in their efforts to obtain success that we see new, highly motivated, and driven business models bent on finding new ways to utilize the internet and incorporate it into a fresh new approach that will appeal to the largest demographic possible.

The fight for online business supremacy seems to be a large part of why we can find many different aspects of our daily lives connected in some way to the internet and the services offered.

I think the internet is exactly what you think it is. If you believe you are using the internet for eductional purposes and you seek out factual, informative information, then you are right.

If you think the internet entertains you and you seek out interesting and entertaining content, you are right.

I am sure I am not alone when I say that the internet does play a role in several different areas of my life, from education and entertainment, to communication, finances, and shopping.

In my opinion, the only way the internet will remain relevant is if it continues to be efficient and essential in assisting us in an easy, fun, and accurate ways - while it also encompasses a vast range of services that will ensure the maximum accessibility and usage possible in cultures around the world. I think the internet may now be 'Too Big to Fail', but it is not 'Too Big to Control'

edit on 18-7-2012 by esteay812 because: bad grammar and tyops... again

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Thankyou for your contribution. And your insight. I have been on the internet since the latter half of the 1990's but had essentially sought information without feedback. Until a problem presented itself to me that I was unable to solve through the family-friend network and I wondered if it was also perplexing others. That's how I wound up on ATS.

It has been an education. An education in realizing that a site devoted to conspiracies is a magnet for those wishing to manipulate public opinion and is the new playground for 'undercovers.' Where you used to have to go and actually show your face and join a group in order to infiltrate it, now you just need an avatar and you're on your way. On some days, it seems like, the 'real' people are actually in the minority.

I think the internet may now be 'Too Big to Fail', but it is not 'Too Big to Control'

This is what I think as well. It is right and natural that we should each one have our own opinions and ideas. I'm not sure how I feel about a corporate agenda masquerading as an individual on a conspiracy forum. And worse, I don't think that there is really anything that should be done about it because it would violate the rights of others.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

It could be possible that a new era of internet usage and service could be right around the corner. One where the internet is divided up into different levels.

Maybe in the future we will have to pay for higher levels of privacy. Where the more you spend reduces the amount of advertising and personal information being shared.

I don't like the thought of that at all, but I wouldn't count it out, considering the way things have changed over the years, with the new laws being enacted and the governments trying to get a tighter grip around the internet's neck.

Hopefully I am wrong and visiting fantasy land with that idea.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

And it was several years before the entertainment, game playing venue really became clear to me.

Thanks for the post, star and flag. It is true that often you have to sift through a lot of stuff before you get to the information you seek just like any library and of course there is no guarantee you will get the answers you seek. More often than not it is simply more questions. Even the most diligent researcher can get caught from time to time but you live and learn.

There are a lot of brilliant posts/topics that get buried and abandoned before any real serious discussion but the great thing is, you can always reintroduce a topic that you want more thoughts on.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Maybe in the future we will have to pay for higher levels of privacy. Where the more you spend reduces the amount of advertising and personal information being shared.

The corporate agenda is always an agenda of money. When cable TV first came out, the big draw was that it would be commercial-free. We all know how that went. Then PBS was still a hold-out, as far as commercials went, but they eventually caved too, mumbling something about 'quality' advertising.

On the other hand, sometimes advertising is the way we learn of new products that are useful to us, personally. Having seen the corporate agenda from inside and out and from high places and low places, I've concluded that the bottom will imitate the top and that the ethics and quality of a corporation last only as long as the ethics and quality of the I/C (in-charge) last.

In the U.S., we used to have 3 branches of government: the executive, the law-making and the judiciary. They were supposed to provide a check and balance on each other. Corruptions were supposed to come into the light in this system. Today, corporations are treated as individual citizens and the whole process has gone to the dogs because of this. Corporations do not believe in unalienable rights and have no business in government. Where our forefathers sought to create a nation where people might be free from religious persecution and taxation without representation, they seemed not to envision a future of corporate persecution.

UNALIENABLE: The state of a thing or right which cannot be sold.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MollyStewart

Thankyou for your post and your advice.

There are a lot of brilliant posts/topics that get buried and abandoned before any real serious discussion but the great thing is, you can always reintroduce a topic that you want more thoughts on.

You are a problem solver. A rarity in this world.

Have read your last two threads -
and look forward to more.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

It is definitely a mess. It would be nice to be delivered the same thing we have been sold every once in a while.

I hear my mom complaining about commercials all the time. She always says she shouldn't have to pay such high prices for cable, because it is supposed to be commercial free. She don't like the idea that she paid for a comercial free service, just to see the cable company lie and make more money from commercial advertisements.

I agree with her... I will pay you to babysit if you don't have your boyfriend over while I'm gone, then when I get home 30minutes early, I find the babysitter making out with her boyfriend on the couch and still expecting to be paid...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I'm abit confused by the title of the thread and only one small paragraph relating to Coyote that has nothing to do with the bulk of what you posted!
edit on 19-7-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Thankyou for your reply. The scent of the female coyote was a story to illustrate how I first came to ATS. This is not a thread about coyotes, however, to ease your disappointment, here is a story about their nature:

Coyote by Carrie Miner

One day Coyote spied a group of lizards playing a game unfamiliar to him. He trotted over to learn about their play. The reptiles were taking turns sliding down a steep rock, using smooth, flat stones as sleds. Coyote wanted to play. The lizards said, "You’re not a lizard. Go play your own games." But Coyote persisted. "It’s very dangerous," they warned him, "you’ll get killed." Coyote didn’t believe the lizards.

He chose a large sliding rock for his sled and started down the runway. Halfway down it caught on a smaller rock, flipped and smashed him flat. The lizards, irritated with the mess at the end of their runway brought the foolish Coyote back to life and sent him on his way with a warning that he had his own games to play and shouldn’t try to be what he wasn’t.

new topics

top topics

join