It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experience 7 mins of terror as the latests Mars Rover lands on Mars.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
With this video you can experience like never before the landing of the rover on mars.

Its a short clip, so please have a look! It is rather awesome.

Can't seem to embed it, but here is the link.

Video

To make it even more spectacular is the following:

If you are a space geek like me and tuned in to the latest NASA Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) press conference, you probably weren’t expecting anything unusual either. Surprise! The last person on the panel, Jeff Norris of JPL, introduced the fruit of a NASA-Microsoft partnership: Mars Rover Landing for Microsoft Xbox Kinect. (USA Today snagged an early interview with the Microsoft developers.)

The game uses body motions to take you through the “seven minutes of terror” landing sequence for the MSL to release the Mars Curiosity rover (if you haven’t seen the video, go watch it now!). In a likely hat-tip to San Diego Comic-Con, NASA News/Media intern Danielle Roosa even demonstrated the game live from the press conference audience!

Article

I think this is the closest any of us, will ever come to experiencing something like this.

vvv

edit on 17-7-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
here it is,

edit on 17-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thank you very much!! A star for you.

vvv

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
This was already posted here a couple of weeks ago Curiosity Rover to land on Mars August 5th, Seven Minutes of Terror

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Correct, yet, it does not include the Xbox Kinect interactivity piece. That was only announced today.

vvv

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Wow that is insanely complicated, it just shows how slow we are when it comes to space exploration.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
It seems way too complicated.. brilliant if it works, but still, why go to all that bother when the previous rovers bounced onto Mars with big air bags...

What's the deal? Why change the method unless it's an experiment for landing on another planet?
Or did they have to meet/exceed a budget in order to get more funding?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Kinect? Atari did it first with Lunar Lander in 1979.

As for the landing of curiosity, if it works then great! However, there seems to be a lot of room for failure in all those stages. Let's hope she lands safe.
edit on 17/7/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Curiosity is too large and heavy to use the AirBag landing method. They had to design a new system for this baby

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Suddenly the action sequence in some scifi video games/movies don't seem so outlandish.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I guess a lots of people at NASA will sit on their hands while hoding their thumbs on August 5, I know I will do at least...

They didnt test this at all did they?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mogget

Thanks for that, I was not aware of a size/weight difference...

Even still, what's wrong with bigger, tougher air bags? Why not pop-out wings so it can glide to a landing?

I dunno.. whatever works best I guess..

Safe landing and find some life..

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

i listened to the lady at 3:50 or so and think about the moon landing.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This is a bit worrying, at least for the NASA lot.

Nasa might not be able to follow the progress of its big Mars rover all the way to the surface when it attempts to land on the planet on 6 August (GMT). The Curiosity vehicle is aiming for a deep depression known as Gale Crater. The US space agency will be tracking the descent with satellites, but its prime craft for the task may not now be in the correct place in the sky. Engineers have been tackling a fault on the Odyssey satellite and it is no longer in the best observational orbit. Unless it can be moved back in the next three weeks, Nasa will lose signal to the rover just as it is about to touch down.

www.bbc.co.uk...

I suppose if the landing mechanisms are pre-programmed it won't affect that, it will just result in an anxious wait.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the vid OP.

Being a space nut myself I already knew of all the enormous engineering challenges that had to be resolved to bring that rover on Mars.

This video resumes it well, I thought the music and tone was a bit overly dramatic, but heh, it will really be a dramatic descent after all.

Truly fascinating.

Some user pointed out that the module could have used wings for its descent stage.
I am no expert in aerodynamics, but I am pretty sure that due to Mars tenuous atmosphere, the wings would need a ridiculous amount of surface to create some kind of lift effect to slow down the whole module. So they went with the "skycrane" method.

I really hope all will go smoothly.
And I also hope they got their units of measurement normalized.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
interesting maybe the military can mass drop tanks like this on other planets or our own? or is the tech for this 7 mins of terror drop not able to be sized up for tanks of other vehicles?
edit on 17-7-2012 by blobby because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Funny, it says 7 minutes of terror, yet the clip is only 5 minutes. Where did those other 2 minutes go? Censored?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Do you think it's a coincidence that the rover's destination was changed to Gale Crater ?

www.nasa.gov...

Gale Crater

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing.
A fascinating video with the amount of stages involved.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
Funny, it says 7 minutes of terror, yet the clip is only 5 minutes. Where did those other 2 minutes go? Censored?

omg really?

Did you watch the video at all?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join