It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is 8 years enough to turn this country around?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I have had this debate with many people over the years and I wanted to get everyone's input on the subject. As most of us know, the President is elected to four years and can be re-elected for another four years after his first initial term. However, eight years is the maximum any President can serve. Do you think eight years is enough time to turn our country around for the better or get us out of the massive debt that took decades to amass? To me, any President that is elected has to focus on short term goals and promises to be elected in the first place. As we all know, there is no such thing as a quick fix. Even if a candidate has an exceptional plan to fix the country and economy, the next President will just come in and trash the plan that is set in place for his own. The House and Senate Representatives are allowed to be re-elected as many times as they can. Do you think that the President should be allowed to run the same way? Should the term be extended to eight years instead of four? If not, do you think that quick fixes will ever actually fix anything?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It took 8 years to destroy it..

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Anyone who thinks Obama destroyed it or Bush Destroyed it are idiots because it has been going on Waaaayy before that.

So what is: "back on track".
Everyone has a different idea about how the country should be ran and what direction it should be going. That's why some people think Obama is neater than sliced bread and some think he is the Anti-Christ.
Some thought the same about Bush but that don't make either of them wrong, it means they have different idea's than you do.
I promise you, ever who is the President 20 years from now will be the same. Some will love him, some will hate him and some don't care either way. The same way it is now & the same way it was 150 years ago.

Since there is no right "track" to be on for EVERYBODY then the answer is no. The country will never be on the right track whether you give it 8 years or 100 years.

This problem is not unique to America it is the same in any country of the world. Human nature is human nature. Each country will have what a percentage of it's people think are good times and some will always think that the country is heading down the wrong path.

As for America, People can argue that it is far removed from it's original idea's that the founders established but there are lots of people who think that their idea's were wrong.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I agree that every elected official, especially Presidents will have lovers and haters. However, regardless of personal feelings, if the President has a good plan to get the country out of debit, they only have eight years max to do it.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
People having tons of babies isnt helping anything, they are just creating new problems. More people=More of a problem..ANYONE who has a kid these days is a selfish doosh.............

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by avatard
People having tons of babies isnt helping anything, they are just creating new problems. More people=More of a problem..ANYONE who has a kid these days is a selfish doosh.............

The troll thread is that way -------->

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I personally believe we need to modify the 22nd amendment. I believe presidents should be able to serve only one six year term. This would completely remove reelection politics from the president’s agenda. It does seem that in a president's first term he needs to be tread carefully. Although it doesn't seem President Obama has held much back in his first term. He has done so pretty much to everyone's detriment.

In regards to "fixing" things in a matter of eight years, I don't know if that's possible to accomplish in such a short period of time. I believe it's enough time to stem the tide. I don't believe until a few things are present before our country starts moving in a positive direction. First our leaders need to learn to put the entire country's interest first and work together. It does nobody any service when congress is deadlocked. Second our entire society needs to drop our entitlement attitude and realize that we need to make tough choices and make sacrifices. This starts with our leaders both political and business making tough sacrifices themselves. Our people don't want to endure hardship while we see our leaders living it up. We are not in a position to live the good life anymore. If we don't choose to make tough choices now, we will be forced to make tougher choices later.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The U.S.economy can easily turned around in a year or two, never mind eight. Withdraw from the WTO, place a gradually increasing tariff on imports that can be manufactured at home,food products exempt,say starting at 10% and increasing every six months to a max of 30%.

Industry will return in a hurry,hence jobs and taxes for debt paydown etc.

Yes, it will create other problems, but the "economy" won't be one of them.

The real problem isn't the Bankers/elites, it us, you and me, the citizens. people will always take advantage of a generous system, a largely free system. That's why they have a hard time surviving, they get taken advantage of.

Simple, isn't it?

WE failed to stay on top of it. We failed to watch, correct, amend our nation and it's interests.

"liberty" implies our enpowering gov't, not the other way around with "freedoms" given to us by the gov't. Liberty, not freedom. trouble is liberty implies responsibility for the gov't we enpower.

Don't blame the fox for stealing chickens from your farm, blame yourselves for not preventing it, or at least correcting it after the fact.

Fixing the economy is easy. Fixing thee and me is not.....

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AssiduousSpook

Great post.. Very well thought out and articulated. Star for you sir!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
isnt it time we stopped thinking in partisan directions,
once we do this we see the puppet string, and those my friends are what need to be cut for our Republic to be restored.

our government model is good when puppet masters are eliminated.

stop boring me with George W. is an idiot

stop blaming Obama for being a puppet

start excepting responsibility for allowing the greatest Hoax on Earth to happen.

now, lets run those sons of britches out of the country and start it over, just the way it started the first time
edit on 15-7-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
Anyone who thinks Obama destroyed it or Bush Destroyed it are idiots because it has been going on Waaaayy before that.

So what is: "back on track".
Everyone has a different idea about how the country should be ran and what direction it should be going. That's why some people think Obama is neater than sliced bread and some think he is the Anti-Christ.
Some thought the same about Bush but that don't make either of them wrong, it means they have different idea's than you do.
I promise you, ever who is the President 20 years from now will be the same. Some will love him, some will hate him and some don't care either way. The same way it is now & the same way it was 150 years ago.

Since there is no right "track" to be on for EVERYBODY then the answer is no. The country will never be on the right track whether you give it 8 years or 100 years.

This problem is not unique to America it is the same in any country of the world. Human nature is human nature. Each country will have what a percentage of it's people think are good times and some will always think that the country is heading down the wrong path.

As for America, People can argue that it is far removed from it's original idea's that the founders established but there are lots of people who think that their idea's were wrong.

Actually Clinton had the economy on track, and he left office with the highest end-of-office approval rating of any U.S. president since World War II..

Bush completely reversed that, and left Obama with a hell of a mess to try and clean up..

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

sorry, you've left out some basic facts. The Republican congress stopped the nationalization of the medical industry and as congress controls the purse strings, you have to give some credit to the house.

Clinton's attack on Microsoft started the downslide, then 9-11...I don't care who was in power for that one, the revenue crashed. Blaming Bush for that is myopic if not outright stupid.

top topics

join