It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OUYA....Sony and Microsoft console dominance is about to get truly smashed.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Just saw this earlier and can't believe it. It's a new console that's coming out based on Android, which basically means anyone can make games for it. It's come out of nowhere too. The project was placed on Kickstarter and they were looking for $950,000.....seems like a big ask, right? Well after roughly the first day they've already got $2,130,367. It's truly insane to imagine how much money they'll end up with, still 28 days to go!

Anyway, this means that developers are now completely open to make their own games without all the crap and red-tape from the OCO, (Old Console Order.
) so this truly looks amazing.

Enough ranting anyway, here's the page, check the video and info out: www.kickstarter.com...

One quote from there which shows how much better this could be :

Hackers welcome.

Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty). Everything opens with standard screws. Hardware hackers can create their own peripherals, and connect via USB or Bluetooth. You want our hardware design? Let us know. We might just give it to you. Surprise us!

Specifications:

Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0

Due out in march and at the price of $99 too, you can book one early by donating that much now, but I get the feeling they're going to be really busy on release day! Either way I really hope things turn out well for them. This could easily be the beginning of the end for the other consoles, and I think it should be really unless they bring prices right down and also open up for developers. If not it's time to move on.
edit on 11-7-2012 by robhines because: added/typos

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
For $99 you're getting a box that allows you to play your Android apps on your TV. Even with developers working to make this better you won't be getting much in the end if you're a console gamer. Give this 3-4 years and we'll see where we're at then, but this first release won't even compete with the Wii, sorry.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
this sounds like it might change the gaming landscape, providing sony and microsoft dont make life difficult for it.
interesting bit of news for the gamers, thanks

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
For this to compete with Microsoft and Sony, they'd need well-funded professional developer teams making the games. The games will need publishers, packaging experts and distributors to get them on the shelves as products everyone wants to buy.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by robhines

I hook my tablet up to the TV allready and im sure i could hook a usb or wireless blue tooth control up also so why would i need to buy this???

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Big game makers are avoiding android because it has so many platforms - you cannot build a game to run on one device and have it run perfectly on a different architecture without a lot of problems... and android by itself is a bit wonky.

That's why google originally had the google market for specific vendors only, or specific devices only, so that any old platform wouldnt come along, and skew the success - which it did anyway, there's various versions of things for various platforms, and all the time new hardware being built to create new need for updated firmwares.

It will never be a competitor for the xbox/wii/playstation etc.. I don't have one of them, as I prefer the middle ground - common hardware, that I can still customise.

With the tv's running android however, there may be some compromise - you're not likely to get a cheap knock off 3d hdtv web capable telly from china for $89. with free shipping.

They may come to a standard with specific vendors, allowing a tailored specific build for that hardware.

Much like phones, but still there is far too much variation to support all but the silliest of games...

edit on 11-7-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Me thinks you don't know much about gaming... This will change nothing and it is something that you can already do with your phone! I can even use a ps3 controller...

Check this out...

So why would I need their box again?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne
For this to compete with Microsoft and Sony, they'd need well-funded professional developer teams making the games. The games will need publishers, packaging experts and distributors to get them on the shelves as products everyone wants to buy.

And one for each chipset, each version of android, each this and that.. the problems which are causing developers to drop android from their market.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Originally posted by XeroOne

And one for each chipset, each version of android, each this and that.. the problems which are causing developers to drop android from their market.

Normally that would be true, if you're talking about developing for Android. Developing for a PlayStation-type games console is different, because it's for a platform consisting of a very specific OS version, code library and chipset. What the people behind this console must do is somehow get developer teams to stick with this platform. Games created by amateur developers wouldn't sell, as we saw with Sony's Net Yaroze thing in the late 1990s.

It's going to take more funding, business meetings and marketing to reach that stage.
edit on 11-7-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
Me thinks you don't know much about gaming... This will change nothing and it is something that you can already do with your phone! I can even use a ps3 controller...

Check this out...

So why would I need their box again?

That's awesome! Never realised you could actually do that because I'm one of the small minority that doesn't own a mobile phone, and haven't done for ages. I don't know that much about gaming either, but I've been addicted to quite a few since back when the Sega Master system was out, and have dumped what's probably a good few thousands hours into playing quite a few games over the years, so I'm not totally clueless either. I just think this will work because it's an open source console that's going to have a huge amount of funding once that kickstarter date is up, all games are free at least in demo version to start with, and it can be modified and allows developers to create games without like I said, all the hassle they'd usually have to go through.

I never said anyone needed one either, I just think this will be pretty huge, and so do the people that have helped raise over 2 million dollars so I'd guess there's quite a few coders that have helped out there too. Anyway we'll see soon hopefully, but I think it has a huge chance of really working.

Again though, that video of what you can do there with a phone is brilliant, will definitely be trying that if I get one in the near future.

edit on 11-7-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

Did you watch the video they are not just putting andriod games for it there will be professionally developed games so for 99 dollars it pretty much a good deal.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
They've already got almost another 1.5 million to take them to $3.5mil inside 48 hours, so I think anyone thinking these people won't be capable at all of making a good games console here are wrong. Can't see how it being on Android is going to stop this from working if you have groups of the best game coders around free to do what they want. They could easily end up with about $20 million once the date is up, and they've already got a working version, so it's probably safe to assume this will make a noticeable dent in the sales figures of the PS3 and Xbox already.
edit on 11-7-2012 by robhines because: typo

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by robhines

Your title was this "Sony and Microsoft console dominance is about to get truly smashed" it most definitely is not true and for quite a few reasons... Will it work? Sure, will they sell any? Sure... But eat into sony/microsoft sales? Never... For a start you haven't even seen what sony/microsoft has to offer on their next line of consoles. There are rumors of 4k gaming and such...

Anyway the tech proposed for this "console" Is the same as in the htc one x, it is PUNY compared to even the original xbox... My point was people with smart phones can do what this "console" can do already so it's nothing new. But yeah it is cheap and so therefore will sell.

To put things into perspective regarding the financing, killzone 2 on the ps3 cost 50 million to make! That is one game! lol God knows what the actual console cost to design and produce.

This ouya is in a totally different bracket than that of ps3/xbox360.

The video I posted was a small snippet of what you can do with the s3 btw, you should check out this next one to have your mind blown! lol... If you like tech that is... enjoy...

edit on 12-7-2012 by mee30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Count me in as wanting one. When I switched to an Android os phone, I never looked back. It has been several years since too. The draw is the open platform and I can see a console leaving every competitor in the dust. I can even see big name game makers itching to include their games on this platform as well. I would love to see this happen!!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

Thanks, will check that later.

But yes, to all that said I was wrong : I understand now. I jumped the gun, not because I don't understand games consoles though. I've had a Master System, Super Nes, N64, Dreamcast, Playstation, and currently have a PS2 and PS3. The problem was that I didn't understand Android and the Tegra 3 technology they're using in this, because I've loathed mobile phones for a decade so had no idea of the technology.

So now I can see what you mean. But what I think what will happen is that this is going to open the door to their eventual demise. It's a first small step into the future, one where consoles like this are truly open for us to do what we want, and I think the key thing is that when the technology progresses several stages past Tegra 3 and consoles like OUYA are able to use that tech properly with all the developers they have.....I think that's when we'll finally see things change in a big way.

So I think someone here said maybe several years into the future, I agree with that now. But there's still the chance this will make a huge impact and hit them a lot earlier. It's clear that people don't just go for the best graphics and the best tech, because if they did, consoles would never have taken off and people would've just played PC games from the start. So there's still a chance that given the right developers making the right games this is going to come out of the blocks really fast and hit Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft a lot sooner.

(they just passed $4million too, and with 27 days to go, so they're not going to be short of the funds to make a good start.)
edit on 12-7-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by darknull

What you're not understanding is the final product you get(games) will be determined by the specs on the system driving it. Not only that, but if you knew about video games, you'd know that a professionally developed game usually takes up more space than this thing can handle. But being that the specs are pretty low, I don't expect the games to take up much space anyways. The graphics on this "console" wont be much better than some PS2 graphics. A Tegra 3 processor does have some nice graphics, don't get me wrong, but they are nowhere in the league of PS3 or XBOX 360 graphics, and both consoles were released more than 5 years ago. Sony and Microsoft console dominance wont even be scratched by this.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
No way this thing nudges into market outside of being a niche item. Way too weak, no "AAA" support, and that doesn't look good with Unreal Engine 4 rolling out soon...to wrestle with the big boys means throwing down serious dough, and you're not going to get anywhere near enough with this donation system, no offense. Kudos for trying, but it's doomed to be another gamecom/N Gage, imo. Won't even have the hardware to be the disappointment the 3DO or the Jaguar was....

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
With enough money behind them though maybe they'll be able to make the console a lot more powerful, (was just reading and tegra 4 is planned for next year, but maybe they can make the console more powerful in different ways.) and as that happens the gap should gradually close between the major consoles and this one if it's done well enough. Clearly this first one isn't going to do much to worry the other console makers, but when people start realising the freedom they have and OUYA becomes a lot more well known, the mixture of good developers and a lot better financial backing might start making it happen.

Will wait and see anyway, because if this does happen we'll probably not be able to get any type of idea until the OUYA has been out for a while and they release details of the next version, if they get that far. If they do though the tech will hopefully start bridging the gap in a big way, because the people behind OUYA will maybe realise how far they can really go with it.
edit on 14-7-2012 by robhines because: typo

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
another grand ATS prediction right here:
it'll fail.

game quality may not mean much to companies but it means something to gamers.
apart from the xboxs and playstations, the wii is the biggest selling console of this generation, no competition at all.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Oh damn, those people got F'd bigtime. I can go to youtube right now and it will show me how to play Sony 3 games from my Samsung Galaxy S3 on my tv even with the ps3 controller. hahah that dude just got a FAT paycheck and he has to do f all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join