It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Owner charged after dog found 'baked to death' in yard

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Animal control officers say a dog "baked to death" in this weekend's heat, and now his "absent-minded" owner is facing charges.

[....]

Herbert could get 90 days in jail and be forced to pay hundreds of dollars in fines.

Full article

That's it? He could possibly face 90 days in jail and a few hundred dollars in fines? I suspect it'll be another instance of animal cruelty and a slap on the wrist. Perhaps we should let him bake outside in hundred degree weather. See how he likes it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
People suck. Enough said.

edit on 10-7-2012 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
What's the point of making him serve jail time? Why not just heap on some community service and make him do good things for people?

I get that it's not good to abuse animals, but it's still just an animal. It's not like the dogs family will feel safe having the guy locked up or feel any sense of justice.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

That's just horrible. Why the hell have a dog if your just going to leave him outside with no interaction? Absent minded? Shouldn't be a dang dog owner in the first place.

90 days is not enough time.

edit on 10-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
As the owner of 4 dogs, this disgust me, ive had dogs all my life.

A dog loves you no matter what, and trust you to guard them as they guard you, as a pack member to them.

They would die for their humans, and this is how people repay them.

what did they used to do in prisons? hot box them in tin cages during the summer, that should do it for this guy, maybe next time he will remember.

People suck.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
What's the point of making him serve jail time? Why not just heap on some community service and make him do good things for people?

I get that it's not good to abuse animals, but it's still just an animal. It's not like the dogs family will feel safe having the guy locked up or feel any sense of justice.

But still it's the point.. A example needs to be set. So that way people think twice before taking on the response ability of a pet they clearly can't handle, or want.. These kinds of things happen far to often..

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

You should try spicy dog with dark beer. Nice to munch on well cooked fido whilst watching the big fight.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

What's the point of making him serve jail time? Why not just heap on some community service and make him do good things for people? I get that it's not good to abuse animals, but it's still just an animal. It's not like the dogs family will feel safe having the guy locked up or feel any sense of justice.

You sound like someone I met once.

I was in a mall parking lot and I saw a dog locked in a wagon in 98 degree heat with the windows up, it was lying on its side and not moving, barely breathing.

I picked up a rock and broke the window, got the dog water in time before it died.

When the owner came he read me the riot act how it was just an animal.

I pulled some twenties out of my wallet and threw it in his face and walked away.

its a living animal, it deserves not to be tortured because some idiot forgot about it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
terrible. people suck

my dog bo used to love the 100 degree heat. he would lay out in the direct sun until his fur was so hot it would hurt my hand to touch!!!

(the backdoor to the house was wide open and he could come in at anytime)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, anyone capable of allowing an animal to die hard is only half a step and the wrong circumstances from allowing it to happen to a human being. I think back to the numerous scenes of brutal violence or other really horrible thing happening as people walk casually by recorded on a security camera. It's not a question of the value or worth of the animal. It's a living being and a dog is pretty widely accepted as having real intelligence and self awareness. It would be more than capable of real terrible suffering, IMO. It takes a pretty terrible person to allow it let alone cause it.

Prison would be fitting for a few years in my opinion. Again, not for the value for the animal as we think of a person but for the lack of humanity shown by the person who did it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by MeesterB

What's the point of making him serve jail time? Why not just heap on some community service and make him do good things for people? I get that it's not good to abuse animals, but it's still just an animal. It's not like the dogs family will feel safe having the guy locked up or feel any sense of justice.

You sound like someone I met once.

I was in a mall parking lot and I saw a dog locked in a wagon in 98 degree heat with the windows up, it was lying on its side and not moving, barely breathing.

I picked up a rock and broke the window, got the dog water in time before it died.

When the owner came he read me the riot act how it was just an animal.

I pulled some twenties out of my wallet and threw it in his face and walked away.

its a living animal, it deserves not to be tortured because some idiot forgot about it.

Granted, it deserves not to be tortured....but its only an animal. Before dogs were a cuddly pet that people used to carry their insecurities with, they were tools, even food. They were used with as little emotional attachment as possible....and then humans started to get touchy feely and decided to give that dog a name-o.

Its an animal, it serves a purpose....if you want companionship, try E-Harmony, or they have life like love dolls for that kinda thing.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I'm concerned, anyone capable of allowing an animal to die hard is only half a step and the wrong circumstances from allowing it to happen to a human being
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

agreed.

One socio-economic step from being the same people that stone women for getting raped.

It may sound extreme, but its how we treat the defenseless that defines us as people.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
As far as I'm concerned, anyone capable of allowing an animal to die hard is only half a step and the wrong circumstances from allowing it to happen to a human being. I think back to the numerous scenes of brutal violence or other really horrible thing happening as people walk casually by recorded on a security camera. It's not a question of the value or worth of the animal. It's a living being and a dog is pretty widely accepted as having real intelligence and self awareness. It would be more than capable of real terrible suffering, IMO. It takes a pretty terrible person to allow it let alone cause it.

Prison would be fitting for a few years in my opinion. Again, not for the value for the animal as we think of a person but for the lack of humanity shown by the person who did it.

Your version of humanity and my version are 2 entirely different things and definitions.....this is why the laws of mans society doesn't work. This is why we still read stories about rover turning into a well done brisket.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Dogs have been used and nurtured by man for over 40k years as recent DNA test have shown that was the time we diverged them from wolves due to mans direct intervention.

In american society dogs are considered differently than other animals, even farm animals.

Did you know in the US it is illegal to purchase and kill a dog to eat?

They may just be an "animal" to you, but even the laws that govern them in the US state otherwise.
edit on 10-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
edit:never mind the video finally loaded for me
edit on 10-7-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere
Before dogs were a cuddly pet that people used to carry their insecurities with, they were tools, even food. They were used with as little emotional attachment as possible....and then humans started to get touchy feely and decided to give that dog a name-o.

Well they are not that now. You said it yourself. So now that we no longer view them as tools or food with little emotional attachment to them, they deserve to be treated better.

Its an animal, it serves a purpose....if you want companionship, try E-Harmony, or they have life like love dolls for that kinda thing.

Aren't you contradicting yourself? Animals do serve a purpose. And one of those purposes is companionship. Why does someone need a dating site, or a significant other, for companionship? What if someone couldn't find a significant other? What's wrong with having an animal or animals for companionship?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere
this is why the laws of mans society doesn't work. This is why we still read stories about rover turning into a well done brisket.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. Because people occassionally abuse their animals, human society doesn't work? I fail to see the connection. Seems like you are just using this as an excuse to promote anarchy, for which I think there would be more valid arguments than a man leaving his dog out in the sun.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

I was being a smart ass.....and besides....humans are animals too.....the more comfortable you become with this idea, the easier it is to accept that everything dies, everything serves a purpose.....even if its a cheesey emotional attachment to a 4 legged lower life form.

What if there was a space alien that decided to use us as pets for the reasoning of emotional attachment? I would think they would be evolved enough just to let us be in the wild and leave us alone....at the very least kill us all and get it over with.

Perhaps you would like to live under the thumb of a more evolved life form hanging on a leash? You want to talk contradiction? You love these animals and they mean the world to you, yet they are raised for the purpose of imprisonment and control by a more evolved life form.

You tell me where the contradiction lies.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirhumperdink

why is everybody assuming this was neglect
the dog could have had water the house may not have had air conditioning and the owner may have been at work and not even known the dog was over heating

it was a hot day and we dont know if the owner even had the opportunity to help the dog

if it was neglect hang em high but the story gives almost no information regarding the circumstances

But that is neglect. If he left the dog outside in 100 degree weather, alone, while he was at work or whatever then he did neglect the dog. Common sense would say that he should know the dog was overheating. Everyone knows you don't leave animals outside in the sun in 100 degree weather. I live around where this happened. The day this happened was a horrendous heat wave!

He clearly neglected his animal.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join