It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What possible use is the Higgs Boson??? And who cares?? Not me.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Please bear with me. I've been on here for some time but this is the first time I've posted a thread. If I co*k it up, I apologise! And if it's in the wrong forum, again, I apologise.

The thing that's been getting to me over the past week is the potential discovery of the Higgs Boson particle. The media and scientists have been raving about it and all through this I've been thinking - "Fine, but what use it this discovery going to be to humankind?"

To be honest, I just don't care about the Higgs Boson particle. I'm all for scientific endeavour, if there is going to be a benefit, but this elusive particle just doesn't do it for me. It's a complete and total waste of resources, time and money.

If any of you kind people can explain where the possible use for this particle is, I'm all too willing to listen. I am, however, fully expecting a lack of response due to the uselessness of the Higgs Boson particle.

+24 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Haha, that opinion is really well and truly ignorant!

I'm no scientist, but the fact its called the "God Partical" should give you a clue to how important it is!
They've been searching for this since they first discovered the Atom!

As I say, I'm not in the know, its on my to do list of things to study and understand..

But I think I may be correct in saying, its the thing that holds all things together!

The actual building block of life and mass.

Slowly but surely we are discovering how everything came to be.

Now... If only we could prove string theory..

That's all I know! But rest assured its a HUGE breakthrough, and a large STEP for MANKIND..

Appreciate it, I'm sure the scientist behind it have contributed more to life than you have

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by iskander683

In theory,the discovery of the Higgs may lead to us being able to one day explore other dimensions,manipulate mass or gravity,even create new states of matter..
That is pretty massive-so much so we don't even know how massive yet.
But it is a very long way off.
Some ideas on the subject:

Some concepts mentioned throughout the media include the exploration for other dimensions, research behind the concept of “spooky action at a distance” where particles can affect each other across space, or it could even lead to a greater understanding of matter and antimatter.
The one thing that most scientists agree on at this point is that the discovery is solid – a “Five Sigma” finding, the gold standard in particle physics – and that this one single discovery could now spawn multiple amazing, Earth-shattering discoveries about reality in the very near future.
It is an exciting time for the human race – and with the discovery of the Higgs Boson, it is only just the beginning.

www.topsecretwriters.com...

“The discovery of the Higgs boson could lead to very new things … imagine anything that has mass and how it couples to different masses. We could apply these things to new, wonderful technologies. To do things when it’s critical to our basic science, our basic survival, always leads to an advance in applications.”

www.csmonitor.com...

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Here's something to get you started on your path to understading how important this discovery actually is.

5 Implications Of The Higgs Boson

And Another

It truly is, one of the MOST important scientific discoveries of our time. And could to a revolution in Physics, Quantum Mechanics and all other variant kinds of sciences.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I bet they won't find out any thing that hasn't been said before in some religious or metaphysicle term. If so, yeah. What a waste of time and money.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Nice you don't care. But guess what... you're just 1 of 7 billion people standing on a pale blue dot floating in space.

And you have the right to ignorance.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
You could rip open a hole to the future and take a look at next weeks lotto numbers

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Well, I think you SHOULD care. If it answers questions about our universe and where we came from then maybe the ones who think we're 'crazy conspirators' won't think we're so crazy, afterall!

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

If everybody thought as you do there would be no computing device to type this on and no electricity to power it.

Somebody will eventually find a way to apply the knowledge, possibly somebody not yet born.

Preventing work on anything that 'has no immediate use' pretty much dooms us to stagnation as we'll only ever refine what we have. Until our limited resources run dry.

Humanity has 2 possible destinies, its either 'Out to the stars' or 'Back to the caves'. The clock is ticking.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I'm going out on a limb here...but I'm sure it's going to be used to make more efficient and deadly weapons.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

"hasn't been said before in some religious or metaphysicle term."
unquote

so basically your saying that Atomic Science and Associate Depts. in the YEAR 2012
has confirmed as a fact,
that this "new" discovery is something that,
religious or metaphysicle, Depts.
have been saying is fact,,
for about 3 ,or 4 thousand years now.?
was a waste of money?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This discovery is by far THE most important discovery of the 21st centry. I'll try and explain why;

Imagen you are a computer programer, and you needed to create a program. To do this, you have to write codes, and each code comes up with a value. So you have many different codes with different values that all work together to create this program.

Now, to put that in the perspective of real life. The codes and values together are the particles, but if you can change the value, you can change the particle. Imagen there was a way to do that? All you need to do is find out what gives the code/particle the value it has. This is where the Higgs comes in. The Higgs is what gives particles mass (value).

Bassicaly, we have just discovered a hack into reality, and with enough research, we may be able to one day understand how to use the higgs to change the value of certain particles, which will create new ones. Imagen when we could do with electricity?! We could, in theory, create an electron with a few tweeks to create a re-useable energy source. We may be able to program these in a way where wires are no longer needed, like wi-fi electricty.

In a nutt shell, we have just found out what gave the computer code value, and once you find that, you can change anything you want. A full, potential hack of reality.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It will be just as every other documentary about such elusive subjects..."it leaves us with more questions than answers".

Science will not answer our deep-rooted questions, ever. We have to do that for ourselves, by ourselves.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Outofcontrol
Nice you don't care. But guess what... you're just 1 of 7 billion people standing on a pale blue dot floating in space.

yeh and probably 6.9 out of that 7 billion don't give a # about the higgs boson

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by Wifibrains

"hasn't been said before in some religious or metaphysicle term."
unquote

so basically your saying that Atomic Science and Associate Depts. in the YEAR 2012
has confirmed as a fact,
that this "new" discovery is something that,
religious or metaphysicle, Depts.
have been saying is fact,,
for about 3 ,or 4 thousand years now.?
was a waste of money?

Yes, if we will have gone in a circle and found something we Allready knew, but forgot. An intelligence behind the creation.
edit on 7-7-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Wait till people realize their bodies are made of Mass.
Higgs effects Mass,,
duh,,

lol

twinkle,twinkle,,

edit on 7-7-2012 by BobAthome
edit on 7-7-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme

Originally posted by Outofcontrol

yeh and probably 6.9 out of that 7 billion don't give a # about the higgs boson

Back in the day, it was only the scientists that was interested in the theory of relativity.
Back in the day, it was only the scientists that was interested in electricity.
Back in the day, it was only the scientists that was interested in the force of gravity.
And far, far, far back in the day, it was only the inteligent people that was interested in the power of fire.

But all of these discoverys are vitaly important in modern life, and we are all interested in keeping alive, not just the scientists.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The first thing I thought after reading the OP was, they better find something soon.

Then in the article you linked, 5-implications-finding-higgs-boson, It said the same thing as my original thought.

Finding the Higgs would offer major validation for the LHC and for the scientists who've worked on the search for many years. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Question was already posed towards peter higgs. This is his response.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
I'm no scientist, but the fact its called the "God Partical" should give you a clue to how important it is!

That name was made up to sell a book.

I'm with the OP. For now, it's just another particle in the zoo. Maybe we will figure out how to do something useful with it, but no one has any ideas. They'll revise all the physics textbooks, then start building the next gigantic particle collider so they can look for smuons or gravitons or some other thing. Meanwhile, baryons, electrons, and photons will continue to do all the heavy lifting in human society.

They've been searching for this since they first discovered the Atom!

Peter Higgs predicted the Higgs Boson in 1964. We discovered atoms before 1964.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join