It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Woman @ The Well: How the Historical Jesus Performed a "Miracle" + Reflections.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I have always been stumped by this one.
May be he had been through there before and heard of a woman that fit her description that is often seen at the well.
Maybe he could draw upon the knowledge that is supposed to be in the hall of records.I think i read somewhere of calling on the angel metatron.
If that is the case then we could wonder exactly what happened to edgar casey when he was struck by lightening.

Metatron didn't exist until Talmud. He was probably fabricated around the medievel period.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

This thing goes back even further than the vedic stuff man. It goes way back to the sumerians some 5000 B.C. It's also called the Talisman of Saturn. It has also been known as the Seal of Solomon but never, ever was it "David's Shield". David's shield had a menorah painted on it, not the symbol of Sikuuth//Kiyuun. That thing is an abomination.

Amos 5:25-27

25 “Did you offer Me sacrifices and offerings
In the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel?
26 You also carried Sikkuth your king
And Chiun, your idols,
The star of your gods,
Which you made for yourselves.
27 Therefore I will send you into captivity beyond Damascus,”
Says the Lord, whose name is the God of hosts.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrtales Instinct

Originally posted by Myrtales Instinct
I have a couple questions and then maybe a couple comments dependant upon how you answer the questions. First, I would like to say, I believe Jesus is the Messiah, so obviously I have no issue with what others who don't belive that have issues with.

My first two questions have to do with things you quoted:

1. Exactly what is "lesson 7"?
2 What is the "Junior level'?

Also, in one post you mentioned "living water" and next to it you wrote in parentheses - life lived to the full, with enthusiasm and meaning. So my third question is this:

3. Do you think the term living water is a mere concept describing a type of life that can be lived or do you believe it is a real tangible gift as Jesus declared it was?

I would like to discuss the ladder, but it would be useless if you don't believe it or aren't open-minded to learn about it.

Thanks!

No problem. I think that living water is the spirit itself, that wells up from within to eternal life, as a realization, and that therefore it would accompany a new way of life born of an inner knowledge and awareness, that God is one spirit and that we are totally integral as part of that same one spirit of the living God. To no longer thirst is to be satisfied, to have a type of spiritual food and water which forever replenishes and is eternal because it is inexaustible, ie: overflowing. It's the life that just keeps on giving, like an eternal wellspring welling up from the very center of existence, which for us lives deep within. The response to such a thing, such a gift, would, of course be a life lived to the full with enthusiasm, reborn if you will in eternity as a newfound (rediscovered?) already-always state of being, at core. This internal (and eternal) treasure that lives in the heart, yes Jesus possessed it (to the nth degree), and being of infinite measure, was the only person capable of giving it, because unless you have all you can't give anything, so he had more than enough, more even than 12 disciples could handle, as we'll see (the poor things were always suffering from extreme paradigm shifts, even to the smallest details like in "why's he talking to that woman, ALONE, and when he says he's got secret food that we don't know about, who the hell's been feeding him behind our backs!")

Hope that helps, oh and re: "lesson 7" "junior" etc that was just part of a Bible Study I found about this topic that appeared to be well researched, here
www.swedenborgdigitallibrary.org...

edit on 5-7-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edited

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

That's very interesting, the same symbol again from an even earlier time! Cool. I was just quoting someone else's research, but bear in mind too that there was movement and trade all the way along that whole region, from Sumeria, through Persia to the Far East (where Magi's live) and back again, and the predessesors of Abraham could easily have been an ancient Aryan tribe of caucasians moving across the region in search of fertile lands, where they would settle sometimes for long periods. The Indus Valley Civilization was involved in advanced math and astronomy at the same time the Egyptians are purported to have been building the Great Pyramids of Ancient Egypt, and they were very much involved in the sacred science of "Brahmavidya", from which every other aspect of their endeavors flowed, and it involved the science of Yoga and deep contemplative mediation (prayer) of the Tao or the Absolute Godhead. So it's no wonder that we see in the famed discourse of Krishna (who is really this person of God, within) to Arjuna, the one who needs to know everything before the final battle (in truth a battle or struggle in the soul) in the Bhagavad Gita, an almost perfectly reflected mirror image of the teachings of Jesus, including the idea of a devotional love (Bhakti) that is eternal, and which evokes in one who fully loves, a sympathetic suffering and one that even suffers with one and all, making of the great lover, a son of God..

Check it out and tell me that Jesus is not taking himself (his reborn from above self) as the personification of the person of Krishna (which, in the Gita, although Krishna may have in fact been an ancient ruler, is more metaphorical in it's import and export, than actual fact)
www.bhagavad-gita.us...

and then there's also this little tidbit I found surfing and combing the net.

Martin Haug, Ph.D., wrote in The Sacred Language, Writings, and Religions of the Parsis, "The Magi are said to have called their religion Kesh-î-Ibrahim.They traced their religious books to Abraham, who was believed to have brought them from heaven." (p. 16.)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Yeshua is Hayah, thats what the two books (OT/NT) are bearing witness of...the identity of the Savior and his gift of salvation. In the OT Savior is Hayah/YHWH, in NT it's Yeshua. People get so damned confused over a concept that is easily grasped, even when the prophets say it's who he is still they cannot believe it. It's like talking to a brick wall.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Is it possible, that Jesus, even as a child, for some strange reason perhaps involving a scandalous birth origin ie: no father (something sure to get you teased unrelentingly as a Jewish child especially if you might have had a slightly different appearance from the rest of the children) might have left Jewish society under the care of certain Magi from the East, only to make a return (one that was much anticipated by his cousin John the Baptist with whom long distance corresponance was possible) at the age of approx 30, re-entering Jewish society with a certain "Great Work" or Magnum Opus already in mind as a highly trained and fully self-realized spiritual master (yet pure, without sin, in the words of John at his imminent coming "the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world")? Was he like some sort of enlightened spiritual Ninja, a master of disguise, able to hide himself in a crowd of people passing through them unseen, with an unparalleled genius for human psychology/spirituality, a worker of wonders, of spontaneous healing, of cause and effect, etc etc.?

And in going away to go back to his deep Jewish spiritual roots and to prepare himself for re-entry, while retaining a state of absolute purity for say about 18 years, might the historical Jesus not be considered a human historical crossroads in and of himself, spanning not only Jewish tradition and understanding, but also Greek thought, Egyptian thought, to the the living streams of Toaism (that arose from the sacred science of Brahamidva), of which there were three - eminating from three enlightened masters who lived almost contemporary to one another approx 500 years B.C., and what does the star of Bethlehem signify as an allegory, and the three gifts of the Three Wise Men from the Orient (far east), could that represent the three flavours of Taoism in the persons of Lao Tsu, Confucius and Buddha? All of that certainly could be the case if during "the lost years" he was in Persia, and beyond, where ideas about spiritual growth and perfection formed the very lifeblood of the whole civilization, while the Temple back home became increasingly corrupted by Roman Imperialism and by a strict religious doctrine and code of conduct and ritual devoid of any real heartfelt love and devotion which in Jesus' world is synonymous with the very will of the most high Godhead.

Albeit speculation, just some things to ponder over while we continue to explore the nature and the style of thinking, and action, of this person, this Messiah and world savior that the five-times married woman encountered there at Jacob's well.

edit on 5-7-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edited

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Well there's only one spirit of God from age to age.

The problem people have with the OT God is all the smiting and warring and stuff, it just doesn't feel congruent to them that this is the same God represented in the great love of Jesus.

Jesus did to quite a bit of "re-framing" of things, like "an eye for an eye" as but one example.

Personally, I think that the Bible represents man's growing relationship with the whole idea of God, and that while God remains the same, the interpretations and assumptions will vary greatly, and some of the prophets, well to be a good prophet you have to be um... "touched" let us say.

Then again, there's all the foreshadowing, like the two horned ram in a ticket already being there to serve as a subbed-in sacrifice for Isaac when Abraham was being put to the test, or when Moses, instead of merely touching the rock, struck it, stuff like that, so there is one common "frame" running through the story, at the end of which none other than God himself (by whatever means) walks through that frame, personally, and well, he seems to be a whole lot nicer than the old man from the OT, but there's always more going on than meets the eye, with angels, powers and principalities, clashing kingdoms both here and elsewhere. Who knows maybe the earth is at the center of a great cosmic drama, if not a comedy.

Differentiating a whole people, to set them apart from a wicked power in the form of Egypt, which is no different from Babylon, in the midst of warring barbarians musn't have been easy, so I'll give him that. I guess my only quesiton is why did he need foreskins what's that all about, unless it was simply another foreshadowing representing the circumcision of the heart, in Jesus case gird round with a sorrowful ring of thorns.

One thing I've discovered is that God works in mysterious ways, turning all things great and small to the good, and sometimes, from time to time things got a little bloody, but I think that's more our fault than his. Then again, sacrificing children and virgins and stuff aint so cool in my books, so I do think that as things progressed, God replaced God until God himself was able to fully discover himself and his right relationship with us in and through the person of Jesus, who might have revealed God as much to us as he did God to God as the eternal father and the Absolute Godhead ie: more even than the creator as a role he might have fellen into at the beginning, forgetting himself in all the hooplah and maybe even overstepping his boundaries perhaps I don't know. .

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

The problem people have with the OT God is all the smiting and warring and stuff, it just doesn't feel congruent to them that this is the same God represented in the great love of Jesus

Thats because they do not understand who he is. Yes he loves, yes he is merciful (even in his punishments) and yes he does forgive, but he is who he is. The punishments he administered in the OT were to Israel largely, because they kept backsliding and going backwards and not forwards when he made them to be the priests of Nations they were rooted to the land. He showed us the part of him we can understand as Yeshua, but there's more to him we still don't understand. He cannot stand the wicked (evil people). The whole point behind the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was not over homosexuality on it's own, it was a combination of things. They were stealing from widows, orphans and taking advantage of travellers, having sex with animals and probably fallen angels ontop of homosexuality, so it was a number of things and they were all doing it and to eachother. He has always been about justice, his version of justice not Israel's or any man's.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Hmph. Sounds like they really put God through the ringer! What are you to do with them when they start screwing animals and fallen angels!

And here I was picturing hot fire smelters for sacrifices of children and virgins, or maybe they had their Gods confused!

There's something to consider, that maybe THEY had a devil of a God in their rebellion and favoring of mere idols, but the real God was just as loving as Jesus was (and still IS!). I'd be willing to go with that.

I sure do like the story of Joseph and his technicolor dreamcoat, especially when he meets his brothers again, from the other side of the fence, and then shows them mercy (while giving them the gears just for fun). That was good, and Daniel and the Lions, amazing. No you're right, we can't throw away the OT, but there are parts in it that aren't so easy to wrestle with or reconcile I have to admit, parts that make me cring and think "you dumb prophet what are you writing THAT for". Some of it's more inspired than other parts, for me, not that I'm saying the whole frame doesn't hold it's ingerity, and things do evolve and get better for sure. I also love the very last page of the Bible, God it's beautiful. This may sound gay but it's not, but I think I'm the bride of Christ, no matter how bad a wife I may be in many ways! I love him, and I "grok" of him to borrow a strange term of sci-fi writer Robert Heinlein, which means "to eat and drink of an idea, or a mere word, so deeply, that it becomes integrated into our very being" as a integral part of our future selves ie: never the same, once the mind and heart changes shape.

But forgive me when I ask that we not try to lecture one another, because if you're a brother in Christ, which you are, there's no separating us. We are in one accord in the spirit. That said if you're more concerned with simply being right, or proving a wrong, than sharing in "koinonia", then, well, then I love him more than you so there! No just kidding around, I hope. .

Best Regards,

NAM

edit on 6-7-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edited lol added to convey good-natured, good willed humor and fun, don't want you to get the wrong idea.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
For Reflection

and additional consideration:
(based on what we've covered so far re: the historical Jesus and the woman at the well)

John the Baptist, by Leonardo daVinci (did he KNOW something the church didn't want anyone to know, but which he felt had to be communicated, surreptitiously?

Zoom+Scroll Leonardo da Vinci's Blasphemous Joke "The Last Supper" in High Res.

Sacred Heart of Jesus

In the next couple of days (I still have to hold down a regular job) I'll do a work up of the scenario, which led Jesus to the invitation of the ages in Sychar, just about exactly half way between Judea and Galilee. But who invited whom?

After all, a gang of 13 Jews entering the Samaritan village of Sychar, with meager food supplies and no water, just woun't have gone over in the same way! LOL!

Think it through... how did he do it?

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
So it's no wonder that we see in the famed discourse of Krishna (who is really this person of God, within)

OK... surely I'm not the only one wondering what do Yoga, Chakra's, and Krishna have to do with The Woman at The Well?

Krishna is one of the most dangerous mind control cults on the planet.

There is only ONE God, and His name is NOT Krishna.

Religion will tell you that we all worship the SAME GOD.

Religion will never EVER tell you the TRUTH...

Satan's most effective method of seducing men and women to yield to his control over them is via a religious system. Link

Religion is one big LIE all designed with ONE purpose: to keep you away from the real TRUTH.

Religion is form of mind control used to enslave and brainwash.

"Every major religion in the world has been manufactured or infiltrated by the Illuminati to enslave and brainwash society. In essence, religion was the first form of mind control. The indoctrination of the masses by a "Trojan Horse" false religion has allowed the Illuminati to take control and work in secret for many, many years." Link

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Ghandi was neither Hindu or Christian and he loved the Gita and lived by it. Worked for him. You need a good translation, and I was never uplifting krishna (lower case) as an idol of worship in case you didn't notice, I was speaking of allegories and meditative spiritual truths arrived at after lengthy consideration, contemplation and integration. In ancient times, people worked on their inner self and strived for virtue. And people like Socrates and Jesus (no I'm not equating the two) they gave it all in service to principals before personalities. We need not fall victim to any of the pitfalls you describe so long as we're rational, kind-hearted, open minded and considerate, while at least for the moment witholding a strong negative bias based on assumptions, without taking the time to read and consider what's actually being presented ie: you've have to actually READ the Baghivad Gita and recognize that it's a great metaphor for the spiritual life, before passing judgement upon it, or casting it simply in the light of the shining bald head of a Hare Krishna!

P.S. This thread, in case you didn't notice, isn't really about "religion" but instead, what Jesus was all about, which was a love informing the heart and mind that blows the mind (our mind), and liberates the authentic spirit and heart and soul of the person to fully love as we ARE loved by a loving God. The cost of true discipleship requires nothing less than that we seek him out, and upon finding him, fall in love.

Please, all I ever asked for was an open mind free from any automatic, contemptuous bias, prior to investigation, nothing more, it's not too much to ask.

Best Regards,

and God Bless!

NAM

edit on 6-7-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edit, lol turned into a smiley as I don't want to incite another person to rage against me for all the wrong reasons..God forbid please let's not go there..? Thanks. : )

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

READ the Baghivad Gita... This thread, in case you didn't notice, isn't really about "religion"

Actually you are right about the thread not being about religion, Krishna is actually a HUGE cult...

BTW: WHY would a Christian EVER recommend that someone read the satanic Hindu bible?

Since the thread topic has now morphed into the Baghivad Gita, Lord Krishna, and Chakra's, here are a few excellent links that I recommend people look at:

Top 10 Dangerous Cults

Founded in 1966, the Hare Krishna cult was a fixture in the seventies, with yellow-robed disciples panhandling at every major airport and intersection. The epitome of hippie idealism, Krishna followers believed utterly in the God “Krishna” who was actually a character created for a novel, Mahabaratha. The distinctive, relentless chanting practiced by followers of this cult actually meant “the energy of the Lord”.

Krishna followers lived a hardscrabble, Spartan existence, with the barest level of sustenance, and very little sleep: they suffered for their religion, believing that they would be rewarded by ascension to a spiritual paradise after many reincarnations. However, not every member of the Krishna organization suffered: the higher echelons were well fed, housed in luxury, and surrounded by women catering to their every need. Although the Hare Krishna’s may also escape “doomsday cult” status, there are dark tales of disciples willing to do anything for their religion, including robbery and murder. Famous Followers: The Beatles, for a time.

Regarding the Krishna cult, I read Monkey On A Stick (Murder, Madness, and the Hare Krishnas), it’s quite a popular book about the Krishna organization.

MONKEY ON A STICK

Top 10 Dangerous Cults

Hinduism was admittedly formed by SEERS who dabbled in familiar spirits. Hinduism is a Satanic religion, evidenced when Hindus spread cow manure across their floor, thinking that such bizarre sicko behavior will bring the blessings of the false gods...

As you've just read, Hinduism is a New World Order religion, promoting unity between all denominations and faiths. Only Biblical Christianity is INTOLERANT of other faiths. The reason is because religion is not God's plan of salvation. The world's religions are saturated with false prophets who teach self-righteousness instead of the Word of God from the Bible.

Who's going to condemn you since Hindus have no official dogma nor headquarters? Anything goes in Hinduism!!! Hindus deny being merely a religion. They also lean heavily upon culture and tradition. Biblically, Hinduism is a false religion of Satan.

The Bible warns us about ANOTHER gospel, ANOTHER Jesus and ANOTHER spirit in 2nd Corinthians 11:3. Hinduism is a demonic religion which denies Jesus as the Christ entirely, denies the Bible as God's inspired Words and teaches a false way. In Hinduism you get to make up your own beliefs...

Hindus seek the "true Self" that lies within--that they are INDEED god. They are working themselves up to believe that. That is what Hinduism is. Deceiving yourself into believing you are god. Everything from an ant, to a snake to a man to a tree is the One Being, god. People just don't realize they are god. They must find this out through meditation.

Hinduism

edit on 6-7-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

And in going away to go back to his deep Jewish spiritual roots and to prepare himself for re-entry, while retaining a state of absolute purity for say about 18 years, might the historical Jesus not be considered a human historical crossroads in and of himself, spanning not only Jewish tradition and understanding, but also Greek thought, Egyptian thought, to the the living streams of Toaism (that arose from the sacred science of Brahamidva), of which there were three - eminating from three enlightened masters who lived almost contemporary to one another approx 500 years B.C., and what does the star of Bethlehem signify as an allegory, and the three gifts of the Three Wise Men from the Orient (far east), could that represent the three flavours of Taoism in the persons of Lao Tsu, Confucius and Buddha? All of that certainly could be the case if during "the lost years" he was in Persia, and beyond, where ideas about spiritual growth and perfection formed the very lifeblood of the whole civilization, while the Temple back home became increasingly corrupted by Roman Imperialism and by a strict religious doctrine and code of conduct and ritual devoid of any real heartfelt love and devotion which in Jesus' world is synonymous with the very will of the most high Godhead.

The 3 magi who found Yeshua as a child (toddler) came from Babylon, 700 miles to the east. They came bearing Daniel's gifts. On his deathbed Daniel told the Israelites who stayed with him after the captivity was over to deliver his treasure to the Messiah at his birth. Daniel was a biblical astronomer and prophet, he knew when Yeshua would be born. He was made a eunuch and so he had no sons so he sent his treasure to the Messiah down through the ages. You can tell the Magi were jews because they wanted to worship the new "King of the Jews". The Tetragrammaton YHVH was encoded in his name and title that they spoke, the very same title that was nailed to the cross over his head at his crucifixtion, Yeshua Ha'neseret Ve'melekh Ha'yehudim...YHVH (YHWH).

The "lost years" of Christ were not spent learning mysticism and all that other crap. He was the adopted son of a carpenter and he would have been learning the trade as the firstborn son would have taken over his father's trade. It was as a carpenter where he began to learn he was a maker/builder. At the age of 12 he was schooling pharisees in the law and he knew things he should not have and it astonished them. I don't believe those stories about him talking as a baby. What Mary and Joseph knew of him was told to them by Gabriel.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Why is HInduism and Krishna a cult, but Christianity and Jesus are not? Makes no sense, especially since Hinduism has been around longer that Christianity.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I was referring to various influences which appear to have been integrated by the historical Jesus, because otherwise the coincidence factor would be just too high to negate. Jesus was much more than a good Jewish Rabbi. He was an absolute master of a whole host of disciplines, philosophy, metaphysics, psychology, contemplative/meditative prayer, and there is most defintely a correlation between the Jewish Tree of Life and the 7 Chakras. Jesus had it all, and when he came onto the scene at the age of 30, he was armed to the teeth to carry out his destiny. He did not develop his rather impressive skill set as a carpenters helper. He was a fully self-realized Bodhisatva of the highest order, with an intimate parent/child type relationship between Atma and Brahma, between a beloved and beloved other wherein Atma and Brahma are one, yet two, for there to be love. This type and style of relating to God, the Absolute, was something novel in Jewish thinking.

I'm so glad he found his missing father and did what he did and became who he was. It's extraordinary!

Of course in terms of traditional Christian doctrine and dogma, this is all "heresy" and none of it would make sense to the indoctrinated, but a careful contextual and historical analysis surrounding Jesus the man, including the nuances of his thinking and action reveals a historical figure of profound and deep influences which trasncend the place and time of his assumed upbringing ie: there's much more to the story than a half God hybrid child born to a virgin. The real Jesus, the historical Jesus, although not so easy to find on the other side of the Religious doctrine and the layering on of mythology, is actually more compelling imho, and more inviting for one and all whether already a "true believer" or not. As a real person, he may even be someone we can sympathize and idendity with as opposed to simply "worship".

"There is nothing now hidden which will not be made known and brought to light."

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

In the next couple of days (I still have to hold down a regular job) I'll do a work up of the scenario, which led Jesus (and friends) to the invitation of the ages in Sychar, just about exactly half way between Judea and Galilee. But who invited whom?

After all, a gang of 13 Jews entering the Samaritan village of Sychar, uninvited, with meager food supplies and no water, just woun't have gone over in the same way! LOL!

Think it through... how did he do it?

Back on track, now that the stage has been set. I so want this thread to become fun again..

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Side Note Re: Buddhist Thought

The star of enlightenment aka as the Eastern Star or the Morning Star (represented by Venus) is what might be thought of as the star of isolate consciousness ie: one with everything. In the so-called state of Nirvana there is no desire, and nothing to do, where all attachment, even to an outcome, is rendered pointless. There is just "the one". No relationship; no will to action or creativity. Nothingness. Apparently it's a special kind of nothing as a nothing that is everything, but if it's nothing in particular then it's still really nothing at all. No desire, no attachment to an outcome, no beloved and beloved other, just the "radiant" void..

Jesus however, in recognizing the nihilism of such a desireless state, if not it's outright absurdity, where the human being is really no longer a human being absent desire and an attachment to an outcome from what was to what is and then most importantly, to what ought to be - repudiated the inexorable result of such a pursuit when he said "What does it profit a man to gain the WHOLE world, but lose his own soul?"

He then reframed this absolute oneness within the context both of a beloved and beloved other I-thou relationship WITH the Absolute Godhead and within the context of the relativity of human being, where the height of the law and the prophets is to love God above all and neighbor as self. He made an inquiry into the committments and obligations that we have and share with each other when we all share the same ground of being and becoming in God as the one above all and the everything of which we're all, a part. This is a completely different frame of reference, making of the human being a child of God in one heavenly household whereby family, of the highest order, is the highest frame of reference. And the "glue" or the unifying principal binding us to one another under the fathership of God, is love.

So he didn't just sit around and meditate, or go off alone, no he entered the fray with his entire being and loved to the hilt. He was highly motivated and very much attached to outcomes, his deepest desire a restoration, reunification and reintegration of the human family wherein it is no less important to love neighbor as self as it is to love God, because that love is of the very same essence, and it alone is eternal being synonymous with the love of God expressed within and through the highest familial frame of reference ie: the brotherhood of man.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Solving the Mystery

I need to make a large quote now to lay out the info by which to explain how Jesus set this visit to Synchar up, for himself, his desciples and the people of Sychar, including the woman at the well. I will also need, for the purpose of this explantion to also quote the relevant scripture story, re-posted here also, for close proximity as a point of reference for the reader. My explanation will following using various snippets and pieces of this puzzle.

Birds Eye View

"Jacob's Well" circa 1900-1920
View looking towards Mt. Gerazim. (A church was built over this well sometime before 1940.)

Jacob's Well (Arabic: بئر يعقوب‎, Bir Ya'qub, Hebrew: באר יעקב‎; also spelled Jacob's fountain and Well of Sychar)
is a deep well hewn of solid rock that has been associated in religious tradition with Jacob for roughly two millennia. It is situated a short distance from the archaeological site of Tell Balata, which is thought to be the site of biblical Shechem.

The well currently lies within the complex of an Eastern Orthodox monastery of the same name, in the Palestinian city of Nablus in the West Bank.

Jacob's Well was made famous in Bible History as the place by the Samaritan city of Sychar, near ancient Shechem, where Jesus Christ stopped while on a journey from Judea in the south (where Jerusalem is located) to Galilee in the north (where Nazareth and Capernaum are located) and had His well-known encounter with a Samaritan woman.

Jewish, Samaritan, Christian, and Muslim traditions all associate the well with Jacob.[3] The well is not specifically mentioned in the Old Testament; the Book of Genesis (33:18f) states that when Jacob returned to Shechem from Paddan-aram, he camped "before" the city and bought the land on which he pitched his tent. Biblical scholars contend that plot of land is the same one upon which Jacob's Well was constructed.

"And Jacob came safely to the city of Shechem, which is in the land of Canaan, on his way from Paddan-aram; and he camped before the city. And from the sons of Hamor, Shechem's father, he bought for a hundred pieces of money the piece of land on which he had pitched his tent. There he erected an altar and called it El-Elohe-Israel." (Genesis 33:18-20 RSV)

Jacob's Well does appear by name in the New Testament's Book of John (4:5f), where it is recorded that Jesus "came to a city of Samaria, called Sychar, near the field which Jacob gave to his son Joseph. Jacob's well was there."[3] The Book of John goes on to describe a conversation between Jesus and a Samaritan woman (called Photina in Orthodox tradition), that took place while Jesus was resting at the well.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_Well

Next, let's consider the context of the scriptural "before and after" of the story, to see what it says about where Jesus and his disciples were coming from, and where they were going, to see if there might have been an agenda of some kind which brought them through Samaria to this particular place near the adjoining (every town needs a good well) nearby town of Sychar, where he and his disciples were invited to stay (compliments of the woman's rather frenzied appeal to "come see" no doubt) and there remained for two days as invited guests (rather unusual since Jesus and company were Jews visiting a Samaritan village).

Was it just pure happenstance, a serendipitous occurance, or might there have been more to it...

Before

4 Now Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that he was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John — 2 although in fact it was not Jesus who baptized, but his disciples. 3 So he left Judea and went back once more to Galilee.
4 Now he had to go through Samaria. 5 So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6 Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon.
7 When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?” 8 (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)
4 Now Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that he was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John — 2 although in fact it was not Jesus who baptized, but his disciples. 3 So he left Judea and went back once more to Galilee.
4 Now he had to go through Samaria. 5 So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. 6 Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about noon.
7 When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?” 8 (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.)

After

43 After the two days he left for Galilee. 44 (Now Jesus himself had pointed out that a prophet has no honor in his own country.)

Then finally, let's carefully examine the map, to try to fathom what his travel route might have been, which brought him and his friends to Jacob's well.

Now let's take a closer look for the actual travel route they would have had to have taken, given the relative proximity of Mount Gerizim.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus Talks With a Samaritan Woman - John 4 NIV

9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.[a])

10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”

11 “Sir,” the woman said, “you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his livestock?”

13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.”

16 He told her, “Go, call your husband and come back.”

17 “I have no husband,” she replied.

Jesus said to her, “You are right when you say you have no husband. 18 The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have just said is quite true.”

19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”

21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”

26 Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.”

The Disciples Rejoin Jesus

27 Just then his disciples returned and were surprised to find him talking with a woman. But no one asked, “What do you want?” or “Why are you talking with her?”

28 Then, leaving her water jar, the woman went back to the town and said to the people, 29 “Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Messiah?” 30 They came out of the town and made their way toward him.

31 Meanwhile his disciples urged him, “Rabbi, eat something.”

32 But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.”

33 Then his disciples said to each other, “Could someone have brought him food?”

34 “My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. 35 Don’t you have a saying, ‘It’s still four months until harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. 36 Even now the one who reaps draws a wage and harvests a crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together. 37 Thus the saying ‘One sows and another reaps’ is true. 38 I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.”

Many Samaritans Believe

39 Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.” 40 So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. 41 And because of his words many more became believers.

42 They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said. Now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.”

~ John 4 NIV

To me, it's kind of amuzing when you consider how it went down, and how he included his disciples in what he was up to, I think it's pretty funny anyway, and then the way it ends. Anyway you'll see, and thanks for your patience in waiting for this part of the thread - How the Historical Jesus Performed a "Miracle". I hope you'll like it and find it and the rest of what's been presented and other reflections about it worthy of consideration. May it move you as it has me and may it cause you to laugh also.

Best Regards,

NAM

edit on 8-7-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

At this point, or prior, Jesus had sent his desciples somewhere to buy food (but not Sychar), from which they later return, to a series of paradigm shifts, which were surely designed to teach them a lesson or two, leaving him alone at the well come the hour of noon.

Back in Judea, having heard about Pharisees complaining that he was baptising more people than John (although it was his disciples who baptized, through him) Jesus took this as a sign to return to Galilee, probably because he didn't want to upstage John's work, and well, the whole baptising operation was going well so he and his team didn't need to be there anymore, so off they set, again, for Galilee, even though a prophet isn't wellcomed in his home area, although they nevertheless welcomed him in remembrance of the wedding at Caana.

The route they took might have have been the same one on the first trip to Judea, or not. Either way, in making the trip, provisions were loaded according to Jesus' instructions and off they went, with Jacob's well and Sychar situated about right in the middle of their journey, which, as a Samaritan village was one any ordinary group of Jews would steer clear of, to the collective approval of the Samaritans who wouldn't ordinarily seek out such company on their own in the first place, not without some sort of "provocation" which would compell them to extend a happy invitation...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join