It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yasser Arafat 'poisoned with Polonium'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Poisoning, as a cause of death, was strongly suspected at the time. If true the main suspects have to be Mossad/Shin Bet or rival factions within the Palestinian body politic such as Hamas. It does seem quite an advanced form of assassination though for an organisation (Hamas) whose sole deterrent to Israel is unguided garage built rockets.

What effect, if any, could this have on the conflict today?

AlJazeera has an article and programme on the investigation, worth a watch at 25 minutes long. Here is some more information on the findings.

More importantly, tests reveal that Arafat’s final personal belongings – his clothes, his toothbrush, even his iconic kaffiyeh – contained abnormal levels of polonium, a rare, highly radioactive element. Those personal effects, which were analyzed at the Institut de Radiophysique in Lausanne, Switzerland, were variously stained with Arafat’s blood, sweat, saliva and urine. The tests carried out on those samples suggested that there was a high level of polonium inside his body when he died.

www.aljazeera.com...
edit on 3-7-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Added information

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

And the plot thickens...

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
Poisoning, as a cause of death, was strongly suspected at the time. If true the main suspects have to be Mossad/Shin Bet or rival factions within the Palestinian body politic such as Hamas. It does seem quite an advanced form of assassination though for an organisation (Hamas) whose sole deterrent to Israel is unguided garage built rockets.

While I don't subscribe to the argument that the Palestinian situation is as one sided as some would have the world believe and saving the argument that Hamas sponsored suicide vests and katusha rockets are every bit as deadly as Polonium-210, I thought this was interesting....

According to the book The Bomb in the Basement, several death cases in Israel during 1957–1969 were caused by 210Po. A leak was discovered at a Weizmann Institute laboratory in 1957.

Traces of 210Po were found on the hands of professor Dror Sadeh, a physicist who researched radioactive materials. Medical tests indicated no harm, but the tests did not include bone marrow. Sadeh died from cancer.

One of his students died of leukemia, and two colleagues died after a few years, both from cancer. The issue was investigated secretly, and there was never any formal admission that a connection between the leak and the deaths had existed.

Polonium

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I used to argue in favor of Israel,not anymore. We need to cut them off from weapons and money. They have gone to far and could care less about anyone else.

Don't get me wrong they all are nuts in the middle east if you ask me. The best thing to do is let them sort it out for themselves.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

i caught the docu on al-jazeera last night.
mr arafats wife was clearly disturbed by the information presented and seems to be intent on exhumation of his body for further tests.
the egyptian authorities gagging the doctor who had access to yasser is also noteworthy.
will hamas allow the bones to be sampled? as the 'tomb' is under renovation, it would be a perfect time to do some digging before the tiling is finished.
f.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

It's funny they mention a Russian, because Russians are fond of poisoning. Throughout their history they used poisoning for murder all the time. Interesting to say the least.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

you are right .An examination of the carcass should prove or disprove the cause of death.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by redneck13

perhaps the result will go like this.
'we are sincerely sorry to mrs arafat. due to a mistake by the tomb builders, it seems the lead-lined casket was irradiated somehow and as such, testing for Po210 is now not possible'!

the interesting aspect of this is where the resistance will come from now the missus has been riled up.
f.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
He was privy to some jihadi plot to make a dirty bomb and obviously got contaminated when visiting the perpetrators to give them high fives and hugs.

Nothing else it could be.

If the Israeli's wanted him dead he would have had a missile on top of him at any time.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

but as blood Mufti that would not have been allowed,,contracts and deals,,i always thought it was hiv.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I can't help but think it's so odd, using radioactive waste or whatever for assassinations. I miss the good ol' days when they used poisoned umbrellas. Now, since I'm not an expert in toxicology, can somebody tell me why they use radioactive material rather than poison - if it is indeed an assassination?

Also, sounds to me like he was indeed whacked. But as they say, all is fair in love and war, right?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Really? I thought that AIDS was determined as his death.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11235813213455
Really? I thought that AIDS was determined as his death.

Just a note. None die because AIDS itself... AIDS destroy the immunologic system and anything can kill you because of that like a simple cold .

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

From your abc.net.au link:

Scientists at the institute in Switzerland say they did more sophisticated testing for less conventional toxins including radioactive elements.

Another spokesman for the institute, Darcy Christen, told Reuters that clinical symptoms described in Mr Arafat's medical reports were not consistent with polonium-210.

He stressed that conclusions could not be drawn as to whether the Palestinian leader was poisoned or not.

Polonium was used to kill Russian former spy turned Kremlin critic Alexander Litvinenko, who died in 2006 after drinking tea laced with the radioactive substance at a London hotel.

I think I'll wait awhile before I come to any conclusion.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Wow, I had not heard much on this topic before, even the AIDs explanation!

Mind = Blown

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

Ya and people dont die from the gun or the bullet. Its the blood-loss that gets them.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Dont worry, Ariel Sharon got the revenge end of that one. He lies in bed barely responsive for the last 6 years suffering with eyes open. Thats what you get when you poison the opposition.

Hahahah.

In October 2011, Sharon's son Gilad said that he was responsive, though still incapable of significant movement. “When he is awake, he looks at me and moves fingers when I ask him to.” “He lies in bed, looking like the lord of the manor, sleeping tranquilly. Large, strong, self assured. His cheeks are a healthy shade of red. When he’s awake, he looks out with a penetrating stare.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 3-7-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Karma really is a bitch, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Please help me figure out why everyone is saying he was poisoned. The OP's sources are, at best, saying it may have been possible, but there is some evidence disputing that theory. Are there some other sources of information out there that say he was poisoned?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join