It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amid unrelenting heat, frustrations rise for tens of thousands still without power

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Amid Unrelenting Heat, Frustrations Rise for Tens of Thousands still Without Power

www.cnn.com

Even as temperatures ticked down, barely, in some places Monday, frustrations rose for hundreds of thousands still sweating without power days after destructive heat-driven storms hit.

About 1.7 million people scattered from the District of Columbia through 10 states from Indiana to Delaware had no electricity by 8 p.m. Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7/2/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
In some place they say the power wont be back until friday
we never know .. it might be even longer
i would also be out of patience with that humidity and heat

The storm has caused enormous damage
and the thing is .. they never saw it coming
no warning from the weather channel
they say it was a surprise mega tornado following a straight line

Notice the title where it say only 10 000
but in the article it say 100 000 people
on millions of people .. the second number make more sense

That was more than half those initially left in the dark Friday night and early Saturday. The total included about 410,000 in West Virginia, 400,000 in Ohio and 340,000 in Virginia. Power and government authorities said some may not get power back until week's end.

"While I want to thank them for their progress, they need to move faster," said Mayor Vincent Gray in Washington, where about 43,000 Pepco customers were without power.

"Pepco's pace of restoring power to me, anyway, is unacceptable. And the speed of their response is disappointing. How many times have we been through this before?"

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Good I hope all those pundits in D.C. have heat stroke. They deserve it. You will get no sympathy from me.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Quebec is sending around 40 electric trucks to help
the ones trying to repair the power are already exhausted

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
It was a 20 minute storm. I had never seen anything like it.
Hurricanes didn't make me that nervous. I have never seen lightening flash in red, then blue, then green. It was quiet and still and then it sounded like a freight train coming down on you, and the trees were sideways in seconds. And it looks like a cat 3 rolled through.

While I understand people maybe frutrated, people also need to get realistic about these things. In major events, they can't always get your power on in 12 hours.

When we had snowmageddon, we got an unprecedented snow of 5ft in one week. The likes of which were never seen. The cleanup was nothing short of miraculous, people complained when they couldn't get out in 3 days.
edit on 2-7-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWISTEDWORDS
Good I hope all those pundits in D.C. have heat stroke. They deserve it. You will get no sympathy from me.

Well i have sympathy for them
there is many good people suffering because the government
wasted all money on big industries to maximise the profit

selling free energy technology to each house is not profitable for the elite

we are in 2012 .. each house should be independent
making bio fuel from the waste .. recycling the rest
solar and wind energy recharging the house generator
government should encourage every house to grow a garden
and have free energy .. but noooo

you can even run a generator by simply burning stuff in the oven
and it could heat the house at the same time

i saw a truck running on wood

and look where we are now .. everyone depending on big industries
hoping each time there is a storm that the electric wires wont be cut

the only way we can fix America is to make such radical change
be less dependant from the big corp is the key

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWISTEDWORDS

There are lots of people in DC and the DC area who have nothing to do with what...or whom I assume you are referring. Including my daughter. She has power back now, but didn't for over 12 hours after the storm. I guarantee you those you are calling pundits have power.

It's the normal everyday people who are the ones affected by this. Next time perhaps you should differentiate between those whom you are ranting on, and those who are affected yet have nothing to do with the state of the world.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
My parents have been without power since the massive windstorm hit.The power company told them it will be a few more days. It was the worst windstorm I have been in. We had to chase down 30 lb. rockers that blew off our porch like they were chewing gum wrappers. We had to wait until morning to see if we were missing shingles or siding. We kept power on through that. Last night though, we had another line of strong storms move through and we did lose power at around 2:30 am and didn't get it back on until around 2:00 pm. It was like a nightmare sauna in the house in a matter of minutes even though it was so late at night.

There will be many loses of life from this if we can get other's power restored. It is just too hot here for the elderly and the very young to stay in homes without any circulating cool air.

I have found that extreme heat does tend to make folks quick to anger,,,so I can see why the headline is what it is. Hopefully they will have everything restored sooner rather than later.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Did everyone forget the rolling blackouts on the West Coast 8 or so years ago?? I remember....it was pretty encouraging as it was the first time our neighbors actually visited each other besides the occasional "wave" while driving by for work.

Maybe the majority of the frustration is not having the Xbox, PS3, TV, Air Conditioning, etc. that is a huge relief for "some" people and there kids.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
And here in Florida, we are flooded out of homes/work by Tropical Storm Debby. Caskets are even popping up out of their graves while sinkholes are appearing everywhere.

Out west is burning.

Certainly interesting times we are living in. Starting to look like a "2012" movie.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
My power went out during the storm, but had it restored in about three hours. That wind was sinister. I remember after the storm which probably last about 10 or 15 minutes I heard a heck of a lot of emergency vehicles. This storm looks to be one that produced micro bursts.

A microburst is a very localized column of sinking air, producing damaging divergent and straight-line winds at the surface that are similar to, but distinguishable from, tornadoes, which generally have convergent damage.

Now, don't get me wrong. The nature of the damage sounds like a micro burst, but I have never heard of this phenomenon affecting an entire region from the Midwest to the East Coast which seems to be the case with the previous storm system? I noticed the weather service warnings were quite odd, with notices of severe storms, damaging winds, and tornado warnings. Then they would constantly change back and forth. I think the meteorologists were quite stumped by the storm system as well? For what it is worth, people should drink a lot of water and find creative ways to cool down. Furthermore, instead of complaining about the power company. Why don't some of these people go out into their neighborhoods to thank them, and to offer some kind of refreshment? We need keep in mind that their families are probably without power as well, and the workers are out there working all day in this excessive heat. Keep cool!
edit on 2-7-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreams n chains
And here in Florida, we are flooded out of homes/work by Tropical Storm Debby. Caskets are even popping up out of their graves while sinkholes are appearing everywhere.

Out west is burning.

Certainly interesting times we are living in. Starting to look like a "2012" movie.

What the US had since 2012:
Massive Flooding,Fire,Storm,Power Outage ..
every american were affected at some point

Canada seems untouched and im surprise about that
since we share the same north american continent

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I am in Ft. Wayne, Indiana - still a lot of people here without power.
The grocery store I go to is on limited power, just enough for one
refrigerator and they have already lost their produce due to the heat.
If this is the case in other locations it could be possible that we will
face a food shortage. Just a thought, I haven't heard anything about
it but I find it concerning.

Where I live we still have a large tree down in the middle of the street and power
lines down. Our street lights are out - not a good idea to go out
at night. Its been hot and its going to get hotter - I think they need more
crews to help get the power back for people.

edit on 2-7-2012 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Microburst taring apart massive trees that are large like a car ..
this thing was very powerfull

they even had a name for this rare phenomenon ..dont remember it
it came by surprise and it followed a straight line the weather experts said
it wasnt a normal tornado or hurricane

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I just want to add something not worth mentioning

Preppers wins!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I am in Ft. Wayne, Indiana - still a lot of people here without power.
The grocery store I go to is on limited power, just enough for one
refrigerator and they have already lost their produce due to the heat.
If this is the case in other locations it could be possible that we will
face a food shortage. Just a thought, I haven't heard anything about
it but I find it concerning.

Food storage is the worst in a SHTF scenario
and it can happen after big disaster or even a trucker strike
or gas shortage

I hope you have made some reserves daisy
like : canned soup, canned fruit, cookies, cereal bars, water bottles etc

the first thing people is always going at the store in the last minutes
better have reserves then not having any at all.. just precautions

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

its called ,blanket the Gulf of Mexico with oil, and lets see if , that will change the Jet Stream.
yup,, moved it North by North East,, quite a bit North,,Cape Breton here, and we haven't had "Spring Ice"
in 3 years.
blocking Sydney Harbour,, newly drenched by the way,,yes we do TANKERS,, year round now

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Yeah, I have to agree with you that this storm was one for the record books. The forecasts were all over the place, and indecisive in what exactly it was we were experiencing. Judging by the damage it sounds like what happens during a microburst?

Just the scope of the storm is amazing. Perhaps, the meteorologists are going to have to coin a new term to describe what happened over the weekend? That storm was huge.
edit on 2-7-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

It's called a derecho

A strong derecho occurred June 29, 2012, starting in Illinois and progressing eastward. It cut through Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and the District of Columbia in about twelve hours (~11:00 a.m. in Chicago, ~11:30 p.m. in Washington, D.C.) leaving millions without power. A representative for Appalachian Power said it caused the worst power outage the company had ever seen. In Virginia it caused the worst power outages in commonwealth history for any weather event outside of past hurricanes and tropical storms. At least 22 people were killed by the storm, most by falling trees.

June 2012 North American derecho

edit on 2-7-2012 by TiggersTheMan because: added link

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiggersTheMan

Originally posted by Ben81

It's called a derecho

Ah thank you .. now i remember
DERECHO !!
never heard that term before

is it a rare phenomenon ?
edit on 7/3/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join