It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torch comparisons.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I'm looking to get a decent torch, but the main ones i've used in the past are Maglites.

The best one i had was a 6 D cell, quite big though, so i wondered if anyone had any suggestions for something similar but smaller.

Lumens mean nothing to me btw, so when someone says a torch is "this many lumens", i need something a bit more easier to get an image of.

I'd like something thats easily portable, has a bit of range to it, nice and bright too....obviously.

Cheers.

CX.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
LEDs are the way to go. Ones that can change to red are the best. White light can be seen from about a mile away while red is about half a mile.

As far as brands, I have some off brands that are well made and super bright. Cost $19.99

Best flash light ever!

edit on 2-7-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Check out this web site lot's of cool stuff: www.majorsurplus.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
nebo redline led torch. You can get them on amazon. Small, excellent battery life. Multiple brightness levels. Tactical mode. Metal durable outer casing. Everything I need in a survival torch. I camp often and have mostly used maglights in the past, since discovering these little beauties I rarely use the mags.

One thing the mags are great for is as a defensive club in the larger formats. The redlines are small so they can be used more as skullcrushers with the ridged end cap, but you will be in close when doing so.
edit on 7/2/12 by Papewayo because: typo

CX

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Thanks for the great replies, i've just bought on of the Nebo Redlines from Amazon, good price and good reviews.

CX.

CX

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Papewayo

New retinas please!!!

Got my new torch in the post this morning, just tried it tonight out the backyard.....flippin hell!

Four and a half inches long, three AAA batteries and it's better than my 6 D-cell maglite! Just been dazzling treetops about a hundred yards away lol.

Thank you so much for that recommendation, much cheaper than a Surefire or similar make. It's solid too, love all the features.

Thanks.

CX.
edit on 7/7/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Even though you've already bought one, I'll just add that the aluminum Coleman LED flashlights (will be marked 'LED Performance; some of the plastic ones may or may not be crap) at China Mart are of surprisingly high quality and are bright with good run times. Most run about $15-20. I've had three. The two were 3-AAA models, both still working after a couple of years of almost daily use. I did have to toss the third one, a 63 lumen 2-AA model, but that wasn't the flashlight' s fault. A battery leaked and couldn't be removed.

After having discovered these a few years back, I no longer have any interest in more expensive flashlights at all.

One thing I should add: they're not voltage regulated, so they will get dimmer as the batteries drain. Some people don't like that, but myself, I believe its better than having one that craps out suddenly when the voltage drops out.

edit on 8-7-2012 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
Even though you've already bought one, I'll just add that the aluminum Coleman LED flashlights (will be marked 'LED Performance; some of the plastic ones may or may not be crap) at China Mart are of surprisingly high quality and are bright with good run times. Most run about $15-20. I've had three. The two were 3-AAA models, both still working after a couple of years of almost daily use. I did have to toss the third one, a 63 lumen 2-AA model, but that wasn't the flashlight' s fault. A battery leaked and couldn't be removed.

After having discovered these a few years back, I no longer have any interest in more expensive flashlights at all.

I agree, but most people will see prices and assume the more expensive one is the better one. Completely untrue. The outer casing is the only difference in LED flashlights. LEDs are so mass produced, they are cheap and all the same.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I would like to recommend this HYBRID SOLAR POWERED FLASHLIGHT

Its waterproof, floats, and is solar powered. You can also switch to run it off battery or solar. They make two versions, one is 40 lumens the other is 120 and they are LED. I have two of these and I bought my father two also. They have been great with no issues and are very durable.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have kind of a flashlight (torch) addiction. I am always buying another and figure you can never have too many.
There are some INCREDIBLY bright high quality lights out there that cost hundreds of dollars.

To me it's a cost / quality ratio thing. Are the $500 flashlights good? I am sure they are super great but I am not going to spend that much on a flashlight.

The best light I have that is low cost is the LED Mag-lite that takes 3 D cell batteries. It is MANY times brighter than the original D cell mag-lite and has the same quality and craftsmanship.

I have a few high dollar lights ($100 - to me that's high dollar for a light) and the Mag-lite is still the one I go to for emergencies.

It is SUPER bright and the batteries last a long time. They are only about $25 around here and Home Depot had a package deal where you get a 2 - D cell LED mag-lite and a 2 - AA cell mini- mag-lite for like $29.95
Hell of a deal.

Try one and I think you will not be disappointed.

~ Oops ~ I see you already bought one... Oh well the recommendation still stands.
edit on 8-7-2012 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I picked up a couple of 3 packs of these lights at costco for $15 a pack, that works out to $5 a light.
If one goes bad it could be cost effective to just throw it away.
I have been using the first one for about a year and a half and it is still working great.

It is the black flashlight being reviewed.
Best bang for the buck imo.
edit on 9-7-2012 by g146541 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
You can now buy a drop-in LED conversion for a Mag Light - it uses the same reflector and thus has the same focusing ability, and is very bright. Sears sells one for about $15.

top topics

join