It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you "protect yourself"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Do people with radical ideas in one area sometimes try to be more moderate in another area just so that they won't seem *too* radical?

Do people on "anonymous" forums tend to "protect themselves" from being "seen" by others on said same anonymous forums as too radical, and therefore, lacking credibility in all areas?

Are you "protecting yourself" now in any of your discussions here? Do you protect your credibility in one area at the expense of your full honesty in another area?

Is moderation of our beliefs a good or bad thing? What exactly is "honesty" in this context?
edit on 1/7/2012 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
There is always a fear of how others will perceive you. I can relate to what you state because I have found myself holding back or "protecting myself" on certain topics. I do not consider myself to be a radical thinker in any given subject, but I am mindful that the perceptions of others might not match my own. Some people are hypersensitive to a topic (for valid reasons, such as an emotionally distressful event in their lives) and their judgement on the issue is impaired when attempting to examine the issue using objectivity and reason.

edit on 1/7/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I don't really care to be honest I've said some pretty outlandish things on this site before. If someone has a problem with something you say or believe that's their problem not yours

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
You have to remember that even in this instance you don't know my real name the same as I don't know yours. I'm being anonymous right now. All you have to go by is my Avatar and name above it so why would I be afraid to write what I think? Why should others?
edit on 1-7-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
hi op

my name is david smart
i live in coventry
i am currently on bail for fire arms charges
i could not give a rats ass what people think anymore
you dont know me, i dont know you
ive gone past careing what peeps think
its not your life tis mine
i realised wen that peeps thoughts are just that, THOUGHTS
my confidence and eyes are opend since...i dont bloody care
no friend or family was there to help myself or my daughter wen she went through heart surgerys

my mssg to all of you
FECK what people think they know nothing of hardship and struggle
sorry for ranting
cheers op
dave

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
What I see is that when a website is relatively new the majority of people are quite honest in their assessments of things but as the site matures and people become "invested" in it through time, people tend to dial it back a notch in order to maintain credibility with others.

Too bad it can't all stay fresh.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
What I see is that when a website is relatively new the majority of people are quite honest in their assessments of things but as the site matures and people become "invested" in it through time, people tend to dial it back a notch in order to maintain credibility with others.

Too bad it can't all stay fresh.

hi op

you are right, nothing is fresh anymore
not even that crappy water you drink from the tap

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Good question Human,

I think I am very open about who I am and what I stand for on this site. I think some of my threads have made other members very uncomfortable because of my 'frankness'. In fact I would like to be more revealing and less anonymous here, but unfortunately I would be breaking a lot of this sites T&C's, especially around psychotropic substances.

It kind of peeves me that people don't state where they are from, not that I think it should be a mandatory part of everyones profile. Sometimes it just helps to understand where someone is coming from if there is a cultural or language bias. Not all members are natural english speakers/thinkers.

Cheers Ned

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I protected others from my opinions sometimes... and maybe me too.

Thats normal, we should understand the effects of our words and be prudent, some effects are unwanted.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
It's part of the balancing act of life. Abide, your moment to shine is coming the moment you lose balance!

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Everybody has suffered their personal worst they know. The worst is bad for everyone in any circumstance.
Letting go of care is defining and certain freedom but always walk in other's shoes because one day you might.

top topics

join