It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Schools Spring up with Atheism Clubs that are on the rise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Starting to sound like some of the Younger Folks are starting to learn early not to be taken in by too much embellishments and untruthful issues from Organized Religion.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Atheist Clubs Spring Up In High Schools Across The Country With Help From The Secular Student Alliance

With help from the Secular Student Alliance -- a national organization of more than 300 college-based clubs for freethinking students -- high school atheists clubs are springing up across the country, the Religion News Service reports.

This little new iten will be sure to cause a stir.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
TBH it is logical. not all kids are stupid enough to just accept what they are told. some are cleaver enough to question why.
edit on 30-6-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
HAHA thats great... All these years of forcing religious clubs into the school system I cant wait to see the reaction to this by the religious leaders of this country

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
There may be hope for our children's future if they can get organized religions out of the way and all work together !!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This is great to hear!
And its comforting to know that a growing number of children are not at risk of being raped by people in the church.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MagnumOpus

It sounds like atheism is becoming a religion to me. Oh well... I reckon I'm not surprised.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused

It sounds like atheism is becoming a religion to me. Oh well... I reckon I'm not surprised.

See ya,
Milt
Like not collecting stamps is a hobbie?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by HumanCondition

Like not collecting stamps is a hobbie?

No, no, no.

They can all sit around and discuss their beliefs! You know... like that one you have about rapists... and like the one that "definity" has about kids that believe in God being stupid... and the silly one that "rick004" has that people will suddenly "all work together !!" when religion is wiped from the face of the Earth... and... ... ...

See ya,
Milt
edit on 30-6-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

How does an atheist club work?

Student 1: Can we hear the minutes of the last meeting?
Student2 opens notebook: The last meeting it was decided there was no god.

Next week.

lol

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
That's great.

Now if they'd just allow pacifist groups on high school campuses that allow military recruiting.

You know some campuses will disallow all groups to prevent an Atheist club.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

How does an atheist club work?

Next week.

lol

The issues of athiesm are a little more complicated than you might propose, and gets into the issues of gods as well as benefit to society. Religions, like Buddhism, does not believe in god, technically. and they do fine. They highly value knowledge. The Essene version of Hebrew religion, that made Jesus, were considered highly Buddhist oriented, and it appears Jesus departed from such ideals and got caught up in the semantics of these old world creator god concepts.

Some very high thinkers get into the issues of those that don't need a god, or at least faked up concept for god by primitive thinking. There is a lot of material and concepts to explore.

en.wikipedia.org...

Because of its absence of a creator god, Buddhism is commonly described as nontheistic

Epicurus is credited with first expounding the problem of evil. David Hume in his Dialogues concerning Natural Religion (1779) cited Epicurus in stating the argument as a series of questions:[62] "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is impotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

It gets most interesting when one gets into the issues of Sumeria and "Creator gods/Fallen Angels/Heaven, and if one should consider those are gods in this day and age. Ancient Sumerian gods are a bit like taking the character "Spock" on "Star Trek" and considering a Chief Science Officer as being a god. The Character "Spock" was considered an off-world, planet "Vulcan", and non-Earth being that appeared set in the theme for the Annunaki's off-world fallen angels from heaven concept. No one considers Spock to be god, so why consider the Annunaki to be god, as in Creator gods. Since the deals of Abraham were with these gods of Anu, Enlil, why buy into the Yahweh god concept, Enki, and likewise for Jesus with his Father god concept, Enki.

Then they only have to debate what Mother Nature is all about and the intelligent design concept, and if that is some diety to which humans can communicate or if the communicate is one way, and nature plods on without any attention paid to human thinking.

They they can deal with the science of issues like did mankind upset the delicate Earth Balance of Nature with issues like Freon/OzoneHole/UV-b and the disruption of Ocean Biota growth and production of DMS and DMSO, which makes the heat reflection Cloud forming methods of the oceans. Just like Spock was about science, the concepts of the Creator god was about higher knowledge of sciences, and thus this type thinking would be most down to Earth, realistic, and have value to mankind's understanding for Nature and the ways of the universe.

One mode of thought is fantasy and the other one is productive and realistic for these ancient histories. Perhaps the Athiest do have a huge point for faked god religion being harmful of mankind.

It might even be interesting to consider that the Creator god concepts of science made the fired bricks that made the Ziggarats, like the one at the City of Ur, but that same science of fired bricks made the Sumerian Clay tablets that survived the floods to provide some very telling history for these Creator gods, what they did with agriculture and science, and modifications of Human Breeding. All those concepts become fair game in the more open mindset that doesn't need god, but prefers lots of knowledge.

edit on 1-7-2012 by MagnumOpus because: Putting away false god concepts for the correct versions of science and knowledge of nature's ways

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha love it

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

The problem with "younger folks" today is that they've had everything handed to them and have never had to rely on only themselves to survive.

I say take them all to a remote location to grow their own crops, hunt their own food, make and wash their own clothes, heal their own sicknesses and wounds and see how long they think they can last on their own to see if it changes their way of thinking...or not.

Until they get some life experiences behind them, they won't know squat anyway.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is awesomtastic news!

I can see it now...

Day 1: Learning the basics of atheism, how we HATE all the gods because they stop us from raping and murdering everywhere we go

Day 2: Atheism Hymn singing (let the bodies hit the floor etc)

Day 3: Designing outfits/dresses for out leaders to wear (silly hats, staffs etc)

Day 4: Atheism politics day (we discuss new ways to lie about evolution and gay rights)

Day 5: How to cook a baby (different methods, BBQ, oven roast, raw etc)

Day 6: Learning the secrets of atheism, how its all in the service of the devil even though he/she/it doesn't exist.

Day 7: Rest (ofc)

I'm signing my kids up right now!
edit on 1-7-2012 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

Atheist group open to everyone.

Don't be ignorant of atheism.

Which means one thing only: "Lack of Belief in a God/Deity"

To hate God - - one would first need to acknowledge the existence of God.

Behavior in the name of anything is individual and the responsibility of the individual. That includes God believers as well.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Maybe this will be the latest thing that rebellious teens around the world will embrace!

I can only hope....

The "Love" generation sure hasn't done us any good....

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I disagree:
Considering the existence of God has never been proven to be false, atheism is the BELIEF that God does not exist.

If atheism were truly a "Lack of Belief in a God/Deity", you, and many other atheists, WOULD NOT feel the need to organize against those that do believe in God.

I feel that Sam Harris explains my view on atheism pretty damn well:

In fact, "atheism" is a term that should not even exist. No one ever needs to identify himself as a "non-astrologer" or a "non-alchemist." We do not have words for people who doubt that Elvis is still alive or that aliens have traversed the galaxy only to molest ranchers and their cattle. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs.

Source

I do however question his use of the word "reasonable". It's been my experience that many atheists are not at all reasonable! They tend to be just as ignorant, and arrogant, as they accuse their counterparts, that do believe in God, of being.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 1-7-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by IrVulture

The "Love" generation sure hasn't done us any good...

Which generation would that be?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by Annee

I disagree:
Considering the existence of God has never been proven to be false, atheism is the BELIEF that God does not exist.

Lack of Belief is NOT a belief.

It is suggested by many people that atheism is a religion. Before we can examine why atheism is sometimes defined as a belief, it is important to understand who defines it as such. Rarely, if ever, will you find another atheist, agnostic, freethinker, humanist, secularist, etc., putting the definition of religion in the context of atheism. Almost without exception, it is the religious who do so. The reason is simple. The religious are are so caught up in their own beliefs that imagining another person without having any religious beliefs is largely incomprehensible. Those who claim that atheism is a religion do not only lack a clear understanding of what atheism is, they also tend to use religious terms to describe atheism. There exists only one definition of atheism, and that is simply the lack of a belief in a deity. There is a philosophical aspect to atheism, but it is not part of the definition, but an extension of the individual. Atheism, in of itself, cannot be described as religious because it takes mental gymnastics to attach the narrative, experiential, social, ethical, doctrinal, ritual and material aspects of religion to atheism because it is not a structured system with defined rules. It has no uniform beliefs and is not a means of understanding our existence. atheists.org...

What Is Atheism?

NOTE: Please do not confuse the definition of atheism with the philosophy of atheism. A lot of atheists do not like the idea of atheism only being a “lack of belief in gods,” but that is because they are placing the philosophy of atheism onto the definition of atheism. The two are different. If the definition of atheism qualified as the philosophy then we must accept babies in our numbers, which is obviously ridiculous. The philosophy of atheism ranges from one person to another, which is why I do not address it in this article. My concern is the definition of the word. I would encourage you to leave a comment on what you think the philosophy of atheism is!

What is atheism?

“What is atheism” is usually the one question never asked of atheists. Most people do not ask this question because they already have their own ideas about what atheism is and what atheists are. Where these ideas originate vary from their minister to their social circle to myths encouraged by certain media outlets. [reality]

Theists usually define atheism incorrectly as a belief system. The ulterior motive behind this incorrect definition is that if atheism is a belief system, then theists can refer to atheism as a religion. atheists.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
School itself is an Atheism Club. It has everything a good Atheist could want and need. The Bible is not allowed, at least not in any of the schools I attended, nor were you allowed to speak of God/Jesus, nor were you allowed to pray, not even "thank God" if you get a good grade on a test. Then they give out free condoms and teach students about "free love". After that you get to hear some Charles Darwin crap, a theory spoken as though it is undeniable fact. And top it all off with some trashy rap music and worship of the school homo.

After that I would go home to a household which had nothing to do with religion, encouraged the "free love"/use condoms crap, and no one ever told me anything important about religion. Luckily I found it on my own and have dug into its core premises, have learned its philosophical core, and have learned about the true culture of degenerates I am forced to live amongst. Unholy bastards who worship the cult of "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" and believe that all morals are "subjective" and everything is permissible so long as you do not harm another person.

Go ahead America's youth, do as I expect you will do. The rabble think they are some great "anti-establishment" force when they are nothing more than the useful idiots. Our establishment feeds off of moral anarchy for the fostering of societal disunity - it helps them. Only when we set our sights upon an objective moral truth and sacrifice ourselves toward its achievement will we transcend our simple human existence which is not based around individual autonomy, but upon the unity of the whole. We are not individuals but rather persons, who are defined by our social relations.

Know the truth

edit on 7/1/2012 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join