It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forming a survival group - beyond the family

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
One key element to surviving a SHTF scenario is (to me) having a group of people you can count on, as a group can accomplish, and protect, more in such a situation.

After all, the primary threat is likely to come from gangs of thugs, not a lone warrior.

A small family may do well initially, on their own land in the boonies...but once found, then what?

To that end, there are two elements I've adopted towards ensuring to have a group around me.

1.) Family and friends - As they all live in the city, they know our place (in the country) is kind of a safe place, and redoubt, in the case of some catastrophic event.

2.) Neighbors - The good thing about living in the country, is knowing your neighbors. We already look out for each other, and most of them are at least hurricane preppers, and just country folk who prep more as a way of life and self sufficiency anyhow.

Do you have a group you'd assemble in a SHTF scenario? Or, is your plan to be kind of a lone wolf survivor in the woods, or a lone traveler trading goods and services for food and lodging?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

My family and I have already established our numbers/roles for TEOTWAWKI scenarios.
It primarily consists of all family members with some close friends thrown in for good measure. Every person in the group's role is based on their current specialty.
We have two medics/nurses.
We have three carpenters. Three prior military with combat training/experience. We have two engineers. We have three seamstresses.
And the list goes on.

I would be hesitant to have a group bigger than 25 (the size of our group) because it would be hard to sustain so many without prior planning and a large amount of land in the countryside.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

once upon i time i would have been into all this stuff
but since i found indirect evidence or reincarnation, its all changed since.
funny that

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I wholeheartedly agree.

Close friends and family to help one another out in a preferably remote rural area would be the idea setting. The further away from any large city the better. I firmly believe that in a SHTF scenerio urban dwellers will quickly move out of the city in search of food and shelter, as cities will quickly turn to looting and rioting.

edit on 29-6-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sadly, I seem to be in the lone wolf category at this time. I am kind of an outsider in my extremely rural area, due to be from NYC and they grew up here. I have a garden, and plenty of food stocked. There is a creek just a few feet behind me, so I also am aware of the benefits of that.

I have ammo, chainsaws, swords, and axes. I am pretty up to date on my survival skills, but would hope at some time I can for some type of group. I can cook anything, and am handy with tools, and build a solar stove and have built 3 of my own pits right outside my home.

I am quick on my feet, and have a first aid kit, and nursing skills that could easily get me a job as a nurse.

I know that most country folk dont like outsiders so I am ok with this, but I am trying to get some more city people down here just to try it out at least.

I love these threads btw, thanks.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Wish my family was a bit more open with having a fall back plan for when shtf, they think I'm crazy for having a "bob"...probably would make it longer going it alone than having to watch out for a group of people who aren't prepared in the least. Getting a group together for the end times would definitely be the way to do it, but it'd have to be a tight possy, don't want to get murdered in your sleep over rations or the precious boom stick/ammo

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

[color=FF9EBE]That which we call a rose, by any other name, would smell as [color=FF9EBE]sweet.

[color=B4D1A3]A Militia [color=B4D1A3]is an organization of citizens prepared to provide defense, emergency, or paramilitary service, or those engaged in such activity. Militias can be government sanctioned or independent organizations.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I live in a small neighborhood in the country. we have one road access to the whole thing. From a strategic aspect, it's as close to good as you will find from a protection standpoint. There is another neighborhood that connects with a path past a pond and they have the same thing as far a 1 road. We are a days walk to the ocean and have lots of shallow wells for water. It's hard to count on wildlife for a long term scenario, but we have a good bit as of now.

I think just talking about your situation helps solidify the pros and cons.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I feel fortunate/lucky to my shtf scenerial. Good neighbors,very out in the middle of no where. I would allow a few good people into our area if they are mentally prepared,not zombies. Good hunting,artesian well. 25 neighbors,acres apart.
If one was to find themself in texas on the west side of the bridge on hwy 90, outside del ri, then id welcome you.
in a survival situation.
edit on 30-6-2012 by lbndhr because: (no reason given)

top topics

join