It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thieves and gamblers given control of disabled vets' assets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

They survived the Nazis, the Viet Cong and the Taliban. But hundreds of mentally disabled veterans suffered new wounds when the country they served put their checkbooks in the hands of scoundrels.

Gambling addicts, psychiatric cases and convicted criminals are among the thieves who have been handed control of disabled veterans' finances by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, a Houston Chronicle/Hearst Newspapers investigation has found.

For decades, theft and fraud have plagued the fiduciary program, in which the VA appoints a family member or a stranger to manage money for veterans the government considers incapacitated. The magnitude and pace of those thefts has increased, despite VA promises of reform. Three of the largest scams - ranging from about $900,000 to $2 million - each persisted 10 years or more before being discovered.

www.chron.com...

I am absolutely appalled by this. Our vets have given so much for this country and they receive no respect. They have physical and mental issues from risking their lives for the USA. Why has this been able to happen? Are all of the checks and balance in our government so blind or corrupt that this is allowed to happen?
edit on 27-6-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
As a disabled veteran myself this makes me sick. If there is not a responsible family member to handle the finances of those who cannot then the VA should have a caretaker that they can assign to that veteran. Or there at least should be a case manager that the family has to check in with to prevent these issues. I am fortunate that

I can take care of my finances but there are a lot who have had brain traumas that can't. I have troubles with my brain from time to time and I imagine that it will worsen when I become old(if that ever happens). I just hope nobody in my family tries to screw me even though my family just isn't like that. If I ever find out someone I know pulls this crap there will be hell to pay.

It is very troubling how us veterans are treated at times. The VA here is really starting to step up and take the initiative to be of better service to us. They just held an all veterans hiring fair in Detroit this week and I finally have hope that I may find employment soon. I am even trying to get a position there at the VA medical center so that I can help other vets and make sure the VA doesn't pull any crap wherever I end up working.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is what happens when capitalism takes over government, and it's only the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Good luck with the job fair! With the economy in the state it's in, especially in Detroit, we need to give back to the people who gave so much for us.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317
reply to post by usmc0311

Good luck with the job fair! With the economy in the state it's in, especially in Detroit, we need to give back to the people who gave so much for us.

Thanks. I have a lot of opportunities for federal employment due to my military background but most of the jobs are out of state, so it looks like I may be relocating unless I snag one of the few local jobs that are there for veterans.

top topics

join