It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food stamps should not be used for junk food

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
S&F for you. Here's my story. I was at the store about 6-8 months ago waiting in line to check out and a lady and a couple of kids were several people in front of me. Same thing cart loaded with worthless junk food top to bottom. She also had a bag of dog food under the cart. When she went to pay she pulled out her EBT card to pay. I know some people need the help for whatever reason to get by and its her choice to get what she wants. The cashier informed her she couldn't get dog food on food stamps. The lady said "Oh I'll be right back." And ran off with the dog food. She came back with and arm load of hamburger and said... Ready for this one ATS? "My dog likes this better anyway." Livid wouldn't begin to describe how I felt at that moment.
It pisses me off thinking about it even to this day. The only thing that kept me from saying something to her was the fact that her two young girls were standing there. That didn't stop the older gentleman in front of me for telling her off tho.

link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

In that case maybe it's not so much a monetary as issue as an Issue of how well educated in nutrition the person collecting food stamps is, As Thunder heart women just suggested a Mandatory course on healthy cooking wouldn't go amiss!

edit on 24/6/12 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

link   
Americans should not have to get food stamps. The parasitic bankers suck $.40 of every $1.00 made in the USA. The problem is not junk food. It's junk jobs. If you want to get on your high horse and thrust a self righteous finger in somebody's chest, why not go to the source of the real misery?

The trail to the projects starts at Wall Street.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by theduke269
S&F for you. Here's my story. I was at the store about 6-8 months ago waiting in line to check out and a lady and a couple of kids were several people in front of me. Same thing cart loaded with worthless junk food top to bottom. She also had a bag of dog food under the cart. When she went to pay she pulled out her EBT card to pay. I know some people need the help for whatever reason to get by and its her choice to get what she wants. The cashier informed her she couldn't get dog food on food stamps. The lady said "Oh I'll be right back." And ran off with the dog food. She came back with and arm load of hamburger and said... Ready for this one ATS? "My dog likes this better anyway." Livid wouldn't begin to describe how I felt at that moment.
It pisses me off thinking about it even to this day. The only thing that kept me from saying something to her was the fact that her two young girls were standing there. That didn't stop the older gentleman in front of me for telling her off tho.

Look on the bright side at least her dog is not eating crap... well still eating crap but its better.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
can you blame them. healthy foods are priced out to oblivion.

i once saw a package of 6 "organic" hamburger buns for $9.99.

not to mention anything with the label "organic" priced 100% more than the non organic variety.

which doesn't make sense. it used to be fertilizer, herbicides , insecticides, antibiotics, etc. when people complained about high food prices.

now that a major expense of farming is not being used to promote "organic" food, it should be much cheaper to bring to market than farmers that use all those chemicals.

to be organic, all you have to do is plant and let the ground and the rain do all the work. no need to pay someone in an airplane to spray your fields, or a team of employees spraying your field with herbicides.

another scam. an unofficial "health" tax.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by synnergy

I think the OP was mainly irritated at the amount of junk food... candy, chips, etc. and nothing of solid foods. No meats or veges..... good foods.

I don't know about all states but some give the mom so much according to how many dependents [kids] at home. So actually, they can bring in one hell of a monthly income between food stamps and their welfare checks. People like that get every thing they can. I've talked to a young couple that gets about $350 per kid a month [4] and they say they can't make that much at McDonalds so they play the system. That's why you see so many with a "passel" of kids and unmarried. Also, if Grandmother is taking care of them, the checks are higher, hence why so many live with them.

Some people really do need the help. But unfortunately, most don't . They are just lazy and looking for the easy way out. Playing the system.

Some how it needs to be fixed and regulated better but they'll always be those loop holes.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Maybe the system should be adjusted to allow more of balanced diet with the occasional treat, Like weight watchers except mandatory (Using the word mandatory a lot today....) If food stamps individually specified a range of food which could be bought with them such as fruit and veg, Fresh meat, Dairy etc with only a tiny allowance of junk food and nasty soda drink's like Panda Pop'z the problem would solve itself.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

Ok...I very much agree that her food choices are really awful nutrition and the woman must be a (food addict) and she is not giving her children good nutrition...but I do believe in her right to choose what she wants...even though I disagree with her.

A lot of people are (food addicts) and/or ignorant on good nutrition. I think that perhaps (volunteer nutrition classes) should be given to the poor and I really believe if someone took the time to educate them ...many would eat healthier.

Also...I have been at the grocery store and seen many, many people in line spend (cash) on horrible food too.

I personally am against fast food places and junk food...and I eat none of it! In the past I have...but there came a day when I realized the old saying "you are what you eat" is really true..and I study nutrition on my own..and I shop for really healthy foods now. If you came into my home right now you would find no junk food, sweets or soda..but you would find veggies, fruits, whole grains, dried beans, organic yogurt, cheeses, etc. (you get the picture).

Again...I feel sad that this woman is feeding herself and her children junk food...it is really upsetting.

Also.. I think one of the requirements to receive (food stamps) should be (free classes- on what is really good nutrition) .People should be required to take these classes before they are granted food stamps...it's an idea...what do you all think?

edit on 24-6-2012 by caladonea because: change

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman

When my daughter was a baby, I got on WIC. When I signed up, I had to take a one hour mandatory class on proper nutrition before I could even get the WIC! Why can't we do the same for food stamps?

Now I disagree with your fist statement of not allowing them to buy junk food because more often then not the healthier food is more expensive but having take a food class before getting on food stamps is an awesome idea. I live in a area where a lot of people have an EBT card, I see a mixture of the type of food people are buying. The junk food is always there but I also see a nice balance of individual ingredients to make a healthy meal.

With that being said, We recently went from a two income household to a one income household and I hate to say it I used to eat better when I had the money to. It is cheaper for me to buy the junk food over healthy food, with the exception of the soda ( I stopped drinking soda to cut down costs and now I am kinda grateful that I drink soda as an exception and not the rule).
edit on 6/24/2012 by Djayed because: I am a math guy

edit on 6/24/2012 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson

Is it really possible to live off a healthy, nutritious, varied and above all expensive diet on food stamps?

Last time i checked a bottle of Natural finest orange soda was AT LEAST thrice the price of the Junk equivalent.

Case of water at Wally World ...... $3.96

Healthy and cheap.....

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I agree and understand. It was natural for the OP to get upset, I would have as well. But what is the issue, food stamp abuse or eating unhealthy. Yes they run hand in hand, but junk food can fill up many houses not getting assistance.
The abuse that is being done with stamps, I see often. (neighbors) Unfortunately, more regulation means more money. I dont have any .

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
People from lower socio-economic backgrounds are big consumers of junk food, the massive corporations and conglomerates that make junk food know this and will all lobby together against any legislation restricting food stamps from being used to by their products. Unfortunately the lobbyists will probably get their way, as per usual.

edit on 24-6-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
can you blame them. healthy foods are priced out to oblivion.

i once saw a package of 6 "organic" hamburger buns for $9.99.

not to mention anything with the label "organic" priced 100% more than the non organic variety.

which doesn't make sense. it used to be fertilizer, herbicides , insecticides, antibiotics, etc. when people complained about high food prices.

now that a major expense of farming is not being used to promote "organic" food, it should be much cheaper to bring to market than farmers that use all those chemicals.

to be organic, all you have to do is plant and let the ground and the rain do all the work. no need to pay someone in an airplane to spray your fields, or a team of employees spraying your field with herbicides.

another scam. an unofficial "health" tax.

Hamburger buns are a luxury. Most people do not try to buy organic because they are told its to expensive. Thats just a excuse to not do some homework. Organic food is affordable if you know what you are doing. This thread is not about organic food its about not spending public money on junk.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Where I grew up, our dogs ate table scraps. Never once do I remember seeing a bag of dog food around the house. I guess at least the kids had something to eat. Better than her selling them 2 for 1 I guess. I know way too many ppl that do that as it is for pills and alcohol.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The bigger problem is: Who would regulate it? The ones who say HFCS and GMO is alright? Those additives ARE NOT limited to your typical junk food. Put a junk food label on Kraft and Kellogg products to be included in the FS no buy zone then.
edit on 24-6-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrkelly77
I've seen the opposite of this opinion. A friend of mine tried to buy organic carrots with her food stamp card. Giant Eagle refused to sell them to her saying it wasn't covered by EBT (which is a lie.) When she called the corporate office and posted comments about it she got attacked for trying to buy expensive food on the tax payers dime.

Culture wise I've seen by online and off(homeless counseling, etc) that FS recipients are scoffed and discouraged if they buy more healthy. How about that negative factor changes, with promoting healthy food?

Originally posted by zarp3333
Americans should not have to get food stamps. The parasitic bankers suck $.40 of every $1.00 made in the USA. The problem is not junk food. It's junk jobs. If you want to get on your high horse and thrust a self righteous finger in somebody's chest, why not go to the source of the real misery?

The trail to the projects starts at Wall Street.

JP Morgan makes a killing yes. You know what they probably don't care if low income people eat junk food. After all it's a slow kill.
edit on 24-6-2012 by dreamingawake because: more...

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Is it really possible to live off a healthy, nutritious, varied and above all expensive diet on food stamps?

Last time i checked a bottle of Natural finest orange soda was AT LEAST thrice the price of the Junk equivalent.

Healthy and cheap.....

Should you even be able to buy liquid with food stamps? What do you need soda and juice for when you got tap water?

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
We have three mouths to feed in my home. My wife works, I'm a grad student with no income, and we have a 5 yr old. We do not recieve food stamps. Since we choose to live in a decent place we are rather poor. We must watch our money very, very closely. It is sometimes said that poverty forces people to eat unhealthily. That isn't the least bit true. We eat a lot of beans, cabbage, home made bread, home made soups, etc. We shop at the farmers market in the Summer to save money. We buy in bulk so that when we shop we can shop for deals instead of all the things we are out of. We eat really good on very little money because we actually cook things besides frozen pizza, nachos, and hamburgers.

I believe people on foodstamps should be restricted on the types of food they can buy. Why? Because it is a better investment of taxpayer money. Because if people who aren't on foodstamps can't even afford to buy hundreds of dollars worth of junk food a month then those that are on food stamps shouldn't be doing that. Because if the public must be responsible for feeding them then they should be required to eat food that doesn't guarantee that the public will also be paying for their high blood pressure meds and diabetes supplies. If they don't like it they can get off foodstamps or spend their own money on junk food. Let them buy pie filling and roll out some crust and bake an apple pie for a dessert. That would take too much effort for a slob though.

This is really no different than student grants and loans. When students (like myself) are given taxpayer money to go to school there is an expectation of a certain standard of academic performance (actually the expectation should be higher than it is). Taxpayer money should be treated like gold. When it is handed out there should be some high expectations demanded of those who recieve it.
edit on 24-6-2012 by Erectus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by synnergy

I guess with me it's the "excuses"of why this or why that.....

One can buy affordable foods, maybe not "organic", but healthy meals without the excuse of "I can't afford it"....

To each their own, yes, I agree.....

However, those that are obese from eating only junk food, will be requiring medical attention in the near future.

And THAT, my friend, falls on you and me to pay. If they need assistance to buy groceries, you know damn well they'll need help to pay for their hospital bills and medicine.

And trust me, that can cost a hell of a lot more than simple groceries, depending on the type of medicine needed.

All at the taxpayers expense. I guess that's what irks me the most when I think about it.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

Originally posted by snarky412

Healthy and cheap.....

Should you even be able to buy liquid with food stamps? What do you need soda and juice for when you got tap water?

Understandable.....

Me personally, I don't trust what's in the tap water.

But the point I was getting at, is there is other cheap, healthier drinks besides soda or juices.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join