It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Erie U.S. Coast Guard Reserve heads to Middle East for duty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
1st I'd like to say sorry if this is posted. 3 searches turned up nothing. Now related to the story, why the heck are we sending a US naval search and rescue teams to the middle of an arabian desert?

News Net 5

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Contingency planning.

1. Search and rescue after the USS Enterprise is hit.
2. Someone has to protect the ports and shipping channels after we invade Iran.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
There is a stretch of water over there thats just a bit important.

Hormuz ring any bells.

A fifth of the worlds oil passes through the straits.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The indications of this and other recent moves and announcements are that the white house plans military intervention either in Syria or Iran or both.
Theres plenty of hardware over there, and more comming every week......the signs are more than ominous.....
We are going to be fighting another PRESIDENTIAL undeclared war.tThis treason is underwiegh as we speak.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
From the article......

"Members of Port Security Unit 309 based in Port Clinton on Lake Erie left Tuesday night from the Air National Guard base in Mansfield. The unit protects ports and shipping channels.

To prepare for the deployment, reservists trained with the Navy at Coronado, Calif., and the Army at Fort Dix, N.J.

The unit has deployed in recent years for service in the Gulf of Mexico, Kuwait and Sicily".

Nothing particularily out of the ordinary. The Coast Guard has done port security in the ME since the first Gulf War. They are the best at this and also train other countries in it. I will admit thought we seem to be putting alot of hardware and people in the area the last few weeks...between Syria and Iran there is not telling what could happen, planned by us or not.

Perhaps they plan stopping, boarding, and searching ships.....with some of the sanctions in place it's a definate possibility.

edit on 20-6-2012 by SrWingCommander because: add content

edit on 20/6/12 by masqua because: added 'ex' tags for external content

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Mwahahaha
Its a Canadian conspiracy.
-Convince the US to ease up troops on the lake Erie border
-INVADE!!!!

we Canadians will be setting up a beachhead in Cleveland any moment now, watch out for the Poutine mines

But on a serious note, I dont see in the article where it says that this unit is the 'search and rescue unit' (The coast guard does more than that). From your article it does say that this unit 'protects ports and shipping channels.' So I would assume they are having problems with pirates in that area.
edit on 20/6/12 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0nZ
Mwahahaha
Its a Canadian conspiracy.
-Convince the US to ease up troops on the lake Erie border
-INVADE!!!!

we Canadians will be setting up a beachhead in Cleveland any moment now, watch out for the Poutine mines

But on a serious note, I dont see in the article where it says that this unit is the 'search and rescue unit' (The coast guard does more than that). From your article it does say that this unit 'protects ports and shipping channels.' So I would assume they are having problems with pirates in that area.
edit on 20/6/12 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

Please take Cleveland, Canada already has a foothold on the upper parts of Wis, Mich, Minn and parts of ND as well. If you can drive south a bit and start putting people to work again, you'll be seen as liberators.

I know a guy in this unit and they do a bit of everything. From S&R to security.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0nZ

So I would assume they are having problems with pirates in that area.

Arg, those pesky 'pirates', always throwing a monkey wrench in the "Master Plan"

If only they were able to get a hold of 'expensive hardware' they could fight a "WAR" of their own...

Just a thought...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

This is the reason my wife wouldn't let me join the Coast Guard Reserve a few years ago. There are ALWAYS Coast Guard units in the ME, or where ever there are major naval operations. An interesting thing about the Coast Guard is that only Reservist can be called to go over seas because only in the Reserve are there very specific jobs like "Port Security" trained specifically for warzone harbor protection. When ever the Coast Guard has a mission over seas, whether to Japan, Europe or the ME, they place a "Bullet" (hope I spell that right). Some jobs, from the Reserves, are called to go. The rest is voluntary. So if you're stationed in Alaska and your unit can spare you, you can request to go on an overseas mission to say.. the ME. They won't pull you from your normal station and mandate you go serve in the Gulf.

After reading the article you can see I'm correct. They called up a Port Security unit, which normally would not actually be protecting Lake Erie, they would only be filling in for sick Coasties, vacation time, or weekends. If even that, I'm sure there are non PS Coasties in the Ohio Reserve to fill those rolls. Those guys are trained to protect overseas harbors.
edit on 6/20/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Can Michigan have Toledo back, once you're done with that gawd awful state?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The DHS will turn the Coasties into a bunch of thugs imo. Im sure they now have a much larger budget than they did when they were under the DOT but I wouldnt wanna be in the Guard while theyre ruled by a bunch of fascists.
It was a lot of fun when I was in it, about 20 years ago, loved being at sea.

The Coast Guard is "currently" the only branch of the armed forces that arent restricted by the posse comitatus act.

link

Authority as a law enforcement agency USCG helicopter firing warning shots at smugglers in a boat.[2] 14 U.S.C. § 2 authorizes the Coast Guard to enforce federal law. This authority is further defined in 14 U.S.C. § 89, which gives law enforcement powers to all Coast Guard commissioned officers, warrant officers, and petty officers. Unlike the other branches of the United States Armed Forces, which are prevented from acting in a law enforcement capacity by the Posse Comitatus Act and Department of Defense policy, under 18 U.S.C. § 1385 the Coast Guard is exempt from and not subject to the restrictions of the Posse Comitatus Act.

edit on 20-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

Further law enforcement authority is given by 14 U.S.C. § 143 and 19 U.S.C. § 1401, which empower U.S. Coast Guard active and reserve commissioned officers, warrant officers, and petty officers as federal customs officers. This places them under 19 U.S.C. § 1589a, which grants customs officers general law enforcement authority, including the authority to:

(1) carry a firearm; (2) execute and serve any order, warrant, subpoena, summons, or other process issued under the authority of the United States; (3) make an arrest without a warrant for any offense against the United States committed in the officer's presence or for a felony, cognizable under the laws of the United States committed outside the officer's presence if the officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the person to be arrested has committed or is committing a felony; and (4) perform any other law enforcement duty that the Secretary of Homeland Security may designate.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

A few key ports were given extra manpower but from everything I've heard their budget has not been increasing much compared to other branches, and in fact are competing with the actual DHS over security in many port cities. So DHS is expanding, and the CG under their control is not (aside from more policing authority). Heck they recently lost all rights to draft contracts, which now must be handled by the Navy.. meaning their equipment replacement is just going to take longer. Their last budget increase was $87 million.. still very underfunded.
edit on 6/20/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Their last budget increase was $87 million.. still very underfunded.

Damn, yea thats not very impressive at all. I was just going on an assumption, I didnt mean to imply that it was fact.
Still though, Ive read that some cutters have been equipped with missile batteries, which is a huge improvement over what they used to have.
The main weapon on my first cutter (CGC Active) was a WW2 era 3" cannon

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Yeah that's the new National Security Cutter class. It's about time they got upgraded, most CG ships have been in service since the 50's-60's lol.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I think you mean "billet"...as in a job opening........not "bullet"..

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

lmao.. Yeah I knew I got it wrong, couldn't remember what it was called, thanks.

top topics

join