It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'Tropical' Lakes of Saturn's Moon Titan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The 'Tropical' Lakes of Saturn's Moon Titan

Titan, the largest of Saturn's moons, has lakes around its equator, new results from NASA's Cassini probe shows.

Scientists previously thought puddles and lakes could only form in the moon's polar regions. Like Earth, Titan has hydrology cycles, with methane or ethane, taking on the role of water.
weather

ANALYSIS: Need a Vacation? Visit Titan's Exotic Ontario Lacus

The surprising discovery begs the question of where the liquid came from. Cassini has only found it raining in Titan's equatorial regions once, leading scientists to suspect that the lakes aren't being replenished by rainfall.

"A likely supplier is an underground aquifer," said Cassini scientist Caitlin Griffith, with the University of Arizona, Tucson. "In essence, Titan may have oases."

I did a quick search and didn't find this posted in this forum.

This caught my eye and knew there are a few members who love to read up on the latest finds just as much as I do. I wouldn't reach for the beach towel and sun tan lotion just yet. The more we explore the mid and outer planets and their respective moons the more I'm amazed about just how little we really know.

I wish I could be around [If we don't blow ourselves up or Genetically modify everything to death] in the next 100 years or so. Hopefully by then we as a species would have put all our crap behind us and work cooperatively exploring our solar system and beyond as a species in person....

Thoughts?
edit on 14-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Here is an earlier post on it:

A moon on Saturn may have "Tropical" lakes
edit on 14-6-2012 by Unthought Known because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Unthought Known

As always it is appreciated.
I guess exact wording is still required sometimes while doing a search

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I am hoping NASA picks the TiME project for the Discovery program. The project would send a boat-like probe down to explore the waters of Titan.
Titan - Summary of TiME Mission

The Titan project stands a good chance of getting the nod. It is between TiME, Mars and the Comet Hopper mission. I wish they'd pick all three!

The last article I read was in May and stated that they will be deciding in the next month or so. We shall see.

top topics

join