It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds Largest Cave has a Jungle and a Waterfall

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+81 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I thought this was pretty cool. Its called the Soon Doong Cave and its located in Viet Nam.
Awesome pics, would love to see it for myself though.

Source

We continue to look for amazing places on our planet and this is one of them. Son Doong is the name of the world's largest cave in the world. It is not only huge, but also a very beautiful place filled with wonders. It is almost like an alien world on Earth. What is truly fascinating is the jungle inside the cave. As you can see on these breathtaking images this is without doubt one of the most remarkable places on our planet. Son Doong cave is more than 200 meters wide, 150 meters high, and approx 9 kilometers long, with caverns big enough to fit an entire city street inside them. It located in Son Trach, Bo Trach District, Quang Binh province, Vietnam. The cave was found by a local man named Ho Khanh in 1991 and was recently discovered in 2009 by British cavers, led by Howard Limbert. It was created 2-5 million years ago by river water eroding away the limestone underneath the mountain Where the limestone was weak, the ceiling collapsed creating huge skylights.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I wonder how a cave (having no sunlight) can have a forest inside of it?
Weird, but awesome!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
That is truely amazing...perhaps we could find the entrance to the center of the Earth there

All jokes aside, this is a wonderful place where life thrives underground...let not destroy it and leave it be beautiful.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Yea, I thought so too but then I found the explanation here.

source

And as shown in these amazing images taken by photographer Carsten Peter, there is even a jungle concealed deep inside the cave. Because of a collapsed portion of the cave roof, vegetation began to grow and form what would be the largest cave jungle. The jungle is fairly small, but considering its location also fairly incredible. It also has the nickname "Garden of Eden."

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
I wonder how a cave (having no sunlight) can have a forest inside of it?
Weird, but awesome!

As stated at the end of the quoted text in the OP, "the ceiling collapsed creating huge skylights."

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Thats gonna be my hibernation spot if i die n come back as a grizzly bear...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Thanks for posting something that is actually REAL (Not directed at the OP, but MANY others) and has a reliable source and awesome pictures. Makes you wonder how much other awesome stuff was in the country before SO many years of war.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Great find.

And how amazing and fresh it all looks. Looks so much better than the jungles/waterfalls we see about.

What a peaceful looking place.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by potatotomato2

Yea, Viet Nam is a beautiful country, its nice that they are pretty much considered our allies now. Ive heard that American tourists are treated very well their. Might be nice to try and go sometime, if I do ill visit the cave and look for the entrance to middle earth

edit on 13-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Truly stunning! Lets hope it stays that way...I be there are thousands more places like this on earth

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Breathtaking... beautiful... amazing

The best thing we can do now is leave it alone!

Thanks for sharing

Peace

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Very beutiful pictures,reminds of home.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

This is beyond measure in the reaalm of fantasy. A true exhibition in natural wonders. SnF

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastProphet527

The cave reminds you of home or the jungle or Viet Nam?
That cave would be a cool place to live, at least until the monsoon season comes, when most of it floods.
Here is a website I found, specifically dedicated to the cave.
Looks like I misspelled the name in the OP, its actually SonDoong

Cave Entrance

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

This is what I like to see
nice find OP. AMAZING

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Ill bet there are places like this all over S/E Asia. Can you imagine if this place had been discovered during the war?
They could fit an entire Army in there, with room to spare.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Truly a garden of eden. I'd so love to visit there, sneak off by myself and live there.

Obviously there would be some sinister monster there lurking in the shadows... some 50 foot python or insane weird carnivorous insect the size of lobsters that jump at your face and thrust suckers down your throat, leaving you alive to ingest your intestines...

Or not..

but I'd love to find out!!!

be like living a trip..

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Originally posted by LastProphet527

The cave reminds you of home or the jungle or Viet Nam?
That cave would be a cool place to live, at least until the monsoon season comes, when most of it floods.
Here is a website I found, specifically dedicated to the cave.
Looks like I misspelled the name in the OP, its actually SonDoong

Cave Entrance

The amazon rainforest

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but National Geographic has a great documentary on this cave. I felt like they should have spent more time researching the place and gathering more data/footage/photos. I don't even know if the cave extends beyond it, they didn't go any deeper in. I wonder what's deeper in teh cave.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

This is truly awesome! Great find

<<   2  3  4 >>

join