It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just heard a Selective Service commercial on the radio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
So I'm listening to the radio, and I heard an advertisement reminding men to register for selective service when they turn 18. They started talking about how "it's the law". Now, I understand that it's the law, but, um, why would you be putting out advertisements?

This simultaneously gives me hope and at the same time creeps me out. These feelings mainly revolve around why you would have a radio commercial about signing up for the selective service.

1. Is this because there is a lack of men registering these days? In which case, I'm glad. That's less canon fodder that's available for conscription in case of a war.

2. Is it because there's a need for it because the government sees a major war in the near future that will require a draft?

Either way, it weirds me out because I've never heard such a thing in my life.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
What is "selective service", and why is it the law to sign up? Is this in the USA?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Mogget

Selective Service is the draft for military service. All males in the U.S. must register at the age of 18.
A long time ago, when I turned 18 I was just finishing high school. On my birthday I was called into the administration office, like every other male who turned 18 and was in school, and was told to fill out the Selective Service form.
edit on 13-6-2012 by kyred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
They have always done that. It helps to maintain the control matrix and the fear of government. Next time you are at an event where they are saying the pledge try sitting out and see what happens. Freedom? What freedom. Do as you are told, citizen, and stop asking questions.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
So I'm listening to the radio, and I heard an advertisement reminding men to register for selective service when they turn 18. They started talking about how "it's the law". Now, I understand that it's the law, but, um, why would you be putting out advertisements?

This simultaneously gives me hope and at the same time creeps me out. These feelings mainly revolve around why you would have a radio commercial about signing up for the selective service.

1. Is this because there is a lack of men registering these days? In which case, I'm glad. That's less canon fodder that's available for conscription in case of a war.

2. Is it because there's a need for it because the government sees a major war in the near future that will require a draft?

Either way, it weirds me out because I've never heard such a thing in my life.

did this just happen?

what is selective service?

the other guy in the thread mentioned a draft.

or maybe it was OP (you)

are you in U.S.A.?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There have always been adds to sign up for selective service. Just because its the first time you've heard one doesn't make it anything unusual. They were around when I was reaching that age, and we were quite happily at peacetime back then.

For those who don't know, its simply that when you reach the appropriate age (not sure now, but it used to be 18), you had to sign up. Its basically the draft list, but you usually just do it in conjunction with registering to vote for the first time.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck

Because a lot of men have never heard of Selective Service, so they don't register, and that comes back to bite them later in life. It's really hard not to register, but some people pull it off and then act shocked when they can't get that job or financial aid.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
The draft was a fact of life when I was a kid.You signed up and if your number came up off to war you went. It stopped about the time I turned 14,but the signing up has never stopped.If they ever bring back the draft those boys between 18 and 33 will be the ones who really need too worry,too start with. I do not think they can pull off a draft in these times we live in. Who knows for sure though?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
My favorite baseball team used to be the L.A. DODGERS, they rule and have always been what I would call a "peaceful" team.

EDIT: it amazes me that there are real posters here that are from the USA that dont know what the selective service act is. Are you kidding? And they didnt make us sign up at school, in our education system you were signed up automatically the day you registered to vote. Against your will. There is no choice.

edit on 13-6-2012 by strangedays because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
They came in High School asked who was 18 we signed the card then did a ASVAB test at the same time.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
They have always done that. It helps to maintain the control matrix and the fear of government. Next time you are at an event where they are saying the pledge try sitting out and see what happens. Freedom? What freedom. Do as you are told, citizen, and stop asking questions.

What happens is CITIZENS will be pissed off at your lack of respect, rightfully so. Or are you the only one with freedom, and they have to be ok with it. Freedom goes both ways pal, you have the freedom to sit out, and I have the freedom to think you're a complete douche for doing so.

top topics

join