It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiring to Steal Your Money!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
*I believe this is a general conspiracy, but it could also be deemed other things as well. Because of this, I am posting it here, with the understanding that there may be another forum this could fit in as well.

**ETA: I am including this edit because it seems I have given off the wrong idea....

I DO NOT INTENDED TO HELP THIS SCAM ARTIST IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR MANNER. I introduced my idea of helping this guy as a way to remove myself as a target and to engage him in a way that has potential to be taken over by authorities, where they can go forward and maybe bring this scammer and maybe his group to justice.

I PITCHED HIM THE IDEA WITH NO INTENTION OF EVER ASSISTING HIM IN DEFRAUDING A SINGLE PERSON. My pitch to him was as vacant as his scam pitch to me. Where I do not get what he promises, he will not get what I promise him. In the end, either of us would be scammed by the other.

hello ATS!!

I have something that anyone who has ever been the target of scam artists or confidence criminals, whether you were scammed or only a target who got out unscathed, you will love this.

I hope you will do everything you can to help me progress this situation to a point where some form of satisfaction can materialize for all of you who have been victimized by such despicable people and their plans to separate you from your money.

About an hour ago, EST, I was contacted by a fellow who claimed his name to be 'Lee Cash'.

Mr Cash was very excited to inform me that I had been declared a winner of a secondary prize from the 'Mega Millions Corporations'. This name would sound very familiar to those who live in several regions the United States, because Mega Millions is one of the nations lotteries that produces massive Jackpots - in a progressive manner, from drawing to drawing, and based on the lack of winners for previous drawing.

This lottery can climb into the 100's of millions of $$$,$$$,$$$!

It has become common knowledge that there are individuals and supposed 'organizations' or 'sweepstakes/lottery' who prey on the elderly and the gullible - or even those, who would otherwise be highly skeptical, who have a moment of weakness and fall victim to these predatory scammers.

During the initial call I was nearly sucked in by the sales pitch he was given, because he had not asked for any money or personal information beyond what he obviously knows already. That all changed when he let me know a government release form would need to be obtained through a local Western Union, for the price of 499.95 - which I was reinsured would be returned to me upon taking delivery of the $150,000 prize and a $50,000 grand prize.

This is where I bucked the guy, but I did not flame him what-so-ever, I did the opposite. I acted as if I were buying his story, but since I had never won anything so large in my life I asked that he call me back in an hour so I could talk it over with my wife (which doesn't exist, because I am not married) and check my savings to be sure I could afford it.

He agreed and after hanging up with him I went directly to the search function of the WorldWideCobWeb. Here I instantly found many reports of scams nearly identical to one another. All mentioned the (876) area code,their common modus operandi, and a strong warning to steer clear.

I learned this scam company, or another using the exact name, and from the same (area code) had recently been busted in Kingston Jamaica as-well-as Montego Bay.

I thought for a few seconds on what I could do to play with him. Maybe I could act like an FBI agent who is recording his calls. Maybe I could ask him to meet me and I would hand deliver the money and reimburse any of his travel costs + a bonus on top for going out of his way. Maybe I could go old school and turn the call into a prank and recorded it for kicks on YouTube.

Before I could determine my plan, the phone rang.

I answered it and heard the same voice on the other end, but this time he stated his name was David Goodman. He said 'Hi EA, this is David Goodman returning your call. You spoke to me a few minutes ago and I just wanted to check in and answer any questions you may have.'

I questions, 'David Goodman?'

Cash replied, 'Yes, David Goodman, we just spoke a few minutes ago.'

That led me to ask, 'What about Lee Cash, that is who I spoke with earlier'

'Yes, he had to step out and he asked me to follow up with you, so you wouldn't feel we forgot about you', he said.

At this point he began pitching heat in an attempt to close the deal. As I hadn't came up with a plan for this talk yet, I went with the first thing that came to mind.

I asked him, 'Hand on Mr. Goodman, can you give me a few seconds to say something without interrupting me?'

He agreed, so I followed with something like this;

"Listen David, I know what you guys are doing down there' - which he completely denied and reverted to his pitch. I went on to say that know that you guys scam people to make a deposit for a cash prize that never shows up ...

"News Alert!! Literally, he took the bait at this moment, while writing the thread!"

He denied it for a bit, but I asked him again to not interrupt me and let me finish, he agreed.

I told him that I know he is scamming, I am being straight forward with him. I assured him I would not be giving him money, but I could most definitely help him.

I asked him to understand that I know how he works. He has a pitch to defraud with. I also told him I know that they routinely make only cold calls and that he never knows whether the people he is scamming are completely rich or living on a budget with govt assistance.

The quality and state of mind of the target are incredibly important and knowing if their target is wealthy or poor would make an incredible difference in their 'closing' percentage.

I told him that I after the way I have been treated by people in general, I have no problem turning over their info to him for compensation. I let him know that I am willing to work with him, as long as he pays me for my successful efforts.

I told him I could drive through the more affluent residential areas and select targets for him. I could get their names and their phone number by using their address to searching.

He tried to start the pitch, but I stopped him and told him point blank that I will not be participating in his scam, but am offering assistance to him if he chooses to take it. I told him we could meet so he could know I am on the level and down for what he is doing.

Then I told him that he should not make a decision right now, but he should hang up and think hard about what I told him, he should think of some questions he may have and he should discuss the idea with those he trusts mostly.

He seemed like he was not up for it at that point, but asked if he should call back in an hour. I told him whenever he wants to, but he should take more time than an hour to think. I asked him to take a day, a week, or even a month to consider my offer before returning my call.

"Take it easy" was the last thing I said as he replied, "OK, you too buddy"

I left the phone and came directly to ATS, since I had already been on here when he first called...

edit on 12-6-2012 by esteay812 because: clarification

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
So, we have your written confession of trying to help a criminal.

Your busted!!!

I had a simmilar thing happen to me a few years ago. i asked how they knew my phone number because I wasnt in the book. Eventualy he admitted they try all the numbers that are NOT in the book because they are usualy more proffitable.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Within about 35 minutes from the end of last contact, he returned my call. This time he was no longer claiming to be David Goodman, but instead returned to the alias ‘Lee Cash’.

He sounded as if he were going to re-enter his pitch, which kinda surprised me, since I acknowledged my awareness of his scam. However, he didn’t return to the scam pitch, instead he simply said, ‘I believe I am going to take a chance and do this with you’.

At that point I knew I had him on the hook big time.

He initiated short negotiations and definition of our relative responsibilities in the partnership. He said I would need to get the information for 10 individuals and pass it on to him.

I acknowledged his demand, but let him know I will not be doing this for free and that we need to work out some sort of compensation plan. He agreed and said he would pay me a portion of the money obtained through successful cons.

I didn’t go in much more detail about payment/earning plan, instead I switch back to what I would be doing for him.

He asked for 10 names tomorrow evening, but I said I would probably be unable to get that many high profile targets, because I work until 5.30p EST. Though I did encouraged him by saying that I may be able to get 4-6 of them by tomorrow.

I asked him to call me tomorrow, then we would hash out details in more depth and figure out a way for me to make the sale to him and he make the payment to me in a way that we can trust he will get the names/numbers and I will get the payment.

At this point you are all up to date on what point I am at in the deal.

What I am asking from ATS members are suggestions for a plan that allows him to continue trusting me and allows me to entrap him.

I am also asking for opinions on what you guys think my end goal with this situation should be?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I have to tell you, it was very fun make a successful sales pitch to a career con artist.

Is it wrong to feel a sense of pride and confidence knowing that I was able to con this career criminal into my game and rules.

It was definitely 'some' feeling and the feeling is good... just not sure how to identify what the feeling is, haha.

Hearing his scripted voice inflections and sales pitch being abandoned, for a more genuine voice after he let his guard down and began treating me more as a partner than a target/victim, was without a doubt priceless.

It is apparent that he is convinced to a point where the chance of me setting him up is outwieghed by the possibility I am legit, can provide him with top notch leads, and a new partnership that could mean a large increase of his income

link   
I tend to agree with other posters on here, you're admitting to aiding and abetting a scam artist, which is in itself a criminal offense.

Nice idea to try and get him to meet you, but I really wouldn't be posting on here that I am a willing participant.

link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Wait a second...

How am I aiding him?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I think you are very foolish in dealing with these scammer's..after you told them you know what they are up to and to leave you alone...that should have been the end of it.

And...seriously...have you ever thought that the scammer knows what you are really up to...and if you meet him in person...that you may actually be putting yourself in real danger.

I think you should tell real law enforcement and let them handle it. Don't put yourself in danger.

I had a similar circumstance happen to me a couple of years ago...and the scammer's were from Nigeria. They even went so far to threaten me because I refused to give them any money or any important information about myself. On one of their threatening calls they made the mistake of leaving a threat on my voice-mail. I saved it and reported the call and circumstances to the local FBI where I live. I have not heard from them since.

If approached by these people a person needs to ask themselves:

Did I enter this contest?

People need to remember that if they really have won a sweepstakes.....they will either be contacted in person or in the mail. Also...if the sweepstakes in genuine and you have really won...you don't need to pay money to get your prize.

edit on 12-6-2012 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Jeez Louise... Stop what you're doing and get out now! You're being set up.

Believe me, this guy has no intention of meeting with you or making any kind of deal. If you meet anyone, it won't be him. It will be some undercover cop waiting for you to turn over the information you promised. As soon as you do, you'll be cuffed and stuffed and have more legal trouble than you can imagine. In the meantime, Lee Cash, or whoever he is, will be counting his reward from Crime Stoppers and laughing at you being such a sucker.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

ETA: Those are very helpful tips for those of us who are aware enough to take heed. Unfortunately those who understand the scams are not the ones who the scammers target. They target the weak and naive, the same demographic that rarely has anyone watch out for them in the general public...

You are right on a few areas, but I do disagree with you about continuing engagement with such scammers.

Maybe he does know what I am up to, maybe he doesn't. I believe he doesn't, but he does believe it is possible. I believe he feels the potential upgrade of quality victims outweighs the danger that I may be trying to entrap him.

I could easily ignore him and allow him to make further demands, threats, or harrassment. He may try to escalate the interaction to extortion or any other tactics they might use.

I could definitely be non-active in this situation, but I choose not to. While it may seem foolish and/or dangerous, I can not allow my neighbors, friends, family, and even honest strangers fall prey to this scam while knowing I had the potential to stop him before he could rob anyone else,

Some people who are scammed are not the brightest people, but they are people still. I feel compelled to stand up for those people who may not have the capacity to do so for themselves whenever I do have that opportunity.

Sure there is risk, but is there ever no risk present when making a stand against something you believe is wrong.

If you had the means and found out about Bernie Madoff, would you stand up and try to stop him or would you just cover your own tail and let others fend for themselves - knowing that some of them are not keen enough to protect themselves from these scammers - for example; early stage dimentia or Alzheimers patients...

I could have ended the contact and waited for them to turn up the high pressure tactics, but I chose a different route. A route that leaves the door open to take many different roads moving forward, which many, if not all include having the police involved.

There could be a chance to undercover the leader or leaders of these scam companies and lead them to justice, potentially saving many millions of dollars for people who may have been defrauded in the future.

I would stand up for you too, if I found someone trying to hurt you and I have the capability to reduce or eliminate your suffering.

Even though they do not know me, I do hope there are others out there who, if given the opportunity, would do the same for me.

What should the next step be? Contacting a relevant task force and working with them to determine the proper course to take? Or something else?

edit on 12-6-2012 by esteay812 because: addition tyops too

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This is when you call the FBI and tell them you're onto this guy.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

Yes, I believe that would be the most reasonable action to take at this point. I mainly wanted to inform members to get thoughts on the best thing to do with this set up.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Did you read the entire OP?

I never intended to take part in his scam, ever.

I would never do that, but if I did, the last thing in the known universe I would ever do would be to post my detailed intentions about scamming people or helping others scam people out of their cash

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

It seems that you are determined to follow through with your own orchestrated sting operation. I think your reasons are real and noble. I suggest you contact your local FBI and tell them what you are doing....and they very well may work with you on this...believe me they want to catch these guys too.

Like I stated in my earlier post.....I choose to contact the local FBI and let them handle it....they did and I was not bothered again.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I believe I will be doing just that. I have no desire to really meet this guy or extend the dialogue with him further than what is required to keep it alive and buy enough time to contact authorities and let them continue the process.

I don't know what the authorities will do, if anything. I do think there is definitely more potential for them to execute some sort of undercover operation or, as it is often referred to and as you put it, a 'sting' when the interaction is still open and ongoing.

I would imagine it's easier to build some sort of case that way, but who knows.... maybe I should go vigilante on them and defraud them out of their time and money by listing the names and numbers to Disney characters,
just kidding ofcourse, though hitting them in the wallet and ego would serve them right

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

He asked for 10 names tomorrow evening, but I said I would probably be unable to get that many high profile targets, because I work until 5.30p EST. Though I did encouraged him by saying that I may be able to get 4-6 of them by tomorrow.

Give him 10 numbers.

Police.
FBI
DHS
ATF
The White House

I'm sure you can think of another 5 along the same lines...

edit on 13-6-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Don't listen to these naysayers. You are doing the right thing. I know, because I AM a con man.

He will try to get you to give him the names, and promise you a payoff in the future. That's part of the scam. Don't go for that. Demand payment up front before you give him anything, just like he was asking from you. Unless he is retarded, he will see right through that, and make some kind of counter offer. Probably a percentage of the take at some unspecified time in the future. You will never hear from him again if you go for that.

Calling the FBI first is probably a good idea. Record the call, too, just in case they try to pass you off as the guilty party later. I doubt they will give you any help, but they might actually want to. In fact, if they put on a sting with you as the bait and end up catching the guy, you might wind up with a job offer from the FBI, if that's what you want. At least, you will have a BIG TIME get out of jail free card for the future.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

haha, nice suggestion boncho. It would be nice to have him caught up in person with a task force against this, where he can be nabbed and charged. So far there is a decent amount of interest from law enforcement concerning this. They have asked that I do not share any further details moving forward, until after the situation is resolved.

I definitely agreed with them, even though it is hard to bite my tongue, considering the way these type of people make me feel.

Things I can mention are the way he tried to convince me he was legit, even after I confronted him. He told me to not listen to people telling me it is a scam, they are just jealous and don't want to see me get ahead.

I told him I know the deal and he should just stop trying to convince me and work with me instead... at that point he did try to continue convincing me he was legit, saying things like;

Buddy, come on, I have worked here for 14 1/2 years, I have 2 kids and take great pride in bringing this type of news to families... It's an exciting time for you, I will be handling all your needs personally so there is no confusion...

When I went into a harder line of confrontation, he fell back into his pitch, denying that he was attempting to scam me. He went so far as to make comments such as;

Buddy, I swear on my life, I swear on my kids, that I am not trying to hurt you financially in anyway... It's terrible that the world makes people so cautious to a point they can't even enjoy great moments like this in their lives... Our company is very respected and has no formal complaints against them, anything hear about our company is from those people who were skeptical and didn't claim their prize. Then later, when they learned they missed out on their chance to have a huge prize award, they became angry and set out to make us look bad...

Those are not exact quotes, as I cleaned up their English a bit in my interpretation, but that is what the points they were making and the angles he was taking to make a hard sell attempt.

Once things are wrapped up with this and I am able to tell the rest of the story, I will do it. Maybe it can bring a bit of satisfaction to those of you who have been targeted or successfully scammed by these people - or those of you who have a loved one that has been scammed. Atleast some satisfaction could be had at their expense, though it won't repair the damaged trust they caused or the any violation they made you feel.

If this guy is dumb enough to call back, then we will see where it goes from there. Maybe he gets cold feet and leaves me alone for good, but if not, I hope he i likes the surprise I have for him.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

thanks for the words and the courage to admit that you are involved in things like that. I won't hold it against you for now!

I would hope this guy, or team of cons, would learn that they are corrupting their soul and leading a path bound for misery... or that is how I would feel if I continually took advantage of others this way - it probably doesn't apply to them, as it seems they would have some sort of personality trait that allows them to care less about things the average person may care about.

I thought about telling the guy that I have th names and numbers and I am sending them to him, but he has to do it my way...

I thought I could tell him I sent the names through a courier service, such as FedEx, on a 3 day delivery. I could give him the tracking number and let him see for himself that the package is in route. Then I could tell him my P.O. Box # and have him overnight payment to me. If the payment is not received by close of business the following day, I will cancel FedEx delivery of the package...

Not sure if it would work, but is about the only way I could think of to require payment be made as the package is en route. That would mean we would both need to form some level of trust with each other and if that were to occur, then there is no telling what I could talk the guy into once I hae his trust.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Also, thanks again for your honesty... would you mind going a bit further by telling me some of the cons you are aware of currently being used? I am just curious of the different types out there now and how succesfful they are. What makes a good con or what makes a good con artist?

It may be wrong, but it is somewhat fascinating in a sense that it is not everyday we have the opportunity to talk with a career Confidence Man and get his/her thoughts about their field of expertise.

It's a lot like a black market item, where you rarely know what measures were taken to secure the item and bring it to the illegal trade market.

If you are not comfortable talking about it in this thread, I understand. The context of this thread alone could be enough to scare of potential Cons from offering inside tips and information about the 'trade'. If you would tell a bit, I would appreciate it.

I am not asking to incriminate yourself or even explain Cons you are involved with, just to talk a bit about the Cons that are out there right now and which ones seem to be the most successful and lucrative for the Con Artists and the most damaging to to those who fall victim to the scams.

Either way, thanks again for being honest in your post.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I think you are making a BIG mistake and should STOP now!
If you continue with this and it backfires on you,you could be
begging your family and friends' for loans to pay your lawyer.

new topics

top topics

join