It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice for stuffy/crusty nose?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hi everybody:

In SA we are reaching winter, and it's about 8 degrees right now where I am.

I've had a crusty nose for weeks.

I've tried everything from washing out the sinuses with salt water, to saline solution, to over-the-counter pills with Pseudoephedrine and some mixture of antihistamines or Paracetamol (pure Pseudoepeidrine is now banned).

It all helps a bit, and the pills do help, but as soon as they wear off, it's back to to the blocked nose.

And it won't go away.

The crusts come out almost like sheets, and I'm worried about the side-effects of taking these pills all the time.

Does anyone have a good solution or treatment for a blocked and crusty nose?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Well, I used to blow my nose on my mums dress. Worked for me.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Use a saline spray. Several times a day. ! When I lived in Alaska it was very dry air compared to where I was from, used it and it worked great. If you have a cold, still use it, but it won't get rid of other symptoms.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Eew, so your mum had a crusty dress?

Well I wish I could blow my nose, but it's not co-operating.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Was just a joke

If I was you though I'd stop taking so many pharma's, let nature sort it out.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AlomaRa

The saline spray works sometimes, but at others it seems to make it worse.

There's other sprays, but then they say they can become "addictive" in the sense that the nose gets used to them.

None of these sprays are cheap either, and a bottle lasts about a week.

And of course the saline bottles are made in such a way that you can't open them and put your own saline solution inside.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Apple Cider Vinegar.
Take a shot today and one tomorrow. It's tough for some but you'll be all cleared up if you do.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Well that's what I'm hoping for, some "natural solutions", but nature itself is not being very good to me right now.

It's dreadful having your nostrils blocked with crusts, and trying to breath through them.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Can one also apply it topically?
Say in the salty water to clean the sinuses?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Get a humidifier.

If you can't for one reason or another, run a hot shower with all the windows closed. I mean pure hot water. Sit in that hot, steamy room for 15-20 minutes. Ding!

Seriously, sounds like you're dealing with a dry climate right now. You need to get some moisture in your air.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Ok i have nothing helpful to add just that your descriptive title "crusty nose' made me gag.
Thank you

EDIT: But I do hope you feel better!!
edit on 12-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Can one also apply it topically?
Say in the salty water to clean the sinuses?

I'm not really sure but I would think it would burn due to it being acidic. I don't recommend putting it in your nose. If you sip it you'll see why. It's like taking a shot of whiskey.

I'm thinking the theory behind it is to bring you're bodies PH back up and that it being out of whack is why you could be susceptible to sickness.
edit on 12-6-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
If you want to stay away from pharmaceuticals, try some excellent homeopathic remedies from Sinus Wars. I had a bad time with my nose being blocked up and stuffy (I have allergies all year round), so I got some of their stuff and it cleared it right out. It isn't cheap, but it does work very well.

www.sinuswars.com...

Good luck!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Do everything they said,,,and get some tom yum soup from the the local thai restaraunt..........my favorite drink for that is apple juice base with cayenne pepper,honey and lemon..

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by avatard

Thanks for that, and at the moment I've actually preferred eating out at Thai restaurants.
The chilli perhaps, and other stuff like ginger, does seem to work temporarily.

Wasabi also works temporarily.
Sometimes I wish I could shove it up my nostrils, but I've been warned not to do so.

edit on 12-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
If you want to stay away from pharmaceuticals, try some excellent homeopathic remedies from Sinus Wars. I had a bad time with my nose being blocked up and stuffy (I have allergies all year round), so I got some of their stuff and it cleared it right out. It isn't cheap, but it does work very well.

www.sinuswars.com...

Good luck!

Dude I cannot stand sites that go right into a talking ad when you click on them. Especially at work, damn!

OP, I have battled sinus problems ever since I came to Las Vegas, NV in '05. Super-dry, super-hot, and dusty, it is a guaranteed issue for anybody. Flo-nase is the only prescription I use, and I don't like using pharm drugs but it does work without weird deathly side-affects (that I can tell.) That and twice-daily nasal irrigation using the neti-pot. I use the one with the two salts, the Dr. Neil unit I think it is. Once in the morning in the shower, and once at night a few hours before bed. That combined with a simple saline mister for during the day to keep things from getting dry in there, and that's it. The only time I get sinus infections now is after a cold or something else that totally stops up the system for a bit. Before this I got them all the time, to the point of making me useless at work (where I speak all day long.)

Good luck, and keep a consistent system going to keep things out and prevent the issue from building up.
edit on 13-6-2012 by fourthmeal because: more to add

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

and I'm worried about the side-effects of taking these pills all the time.

As well you should be. I would stop taking them.

join